Any Intense Tracer owners in Idaho?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any Intense Tracer owners in Idaho?

Wondering how you liked the handling of the Tracer for southwest Idaho.
    Pros and cons.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a 2000 w/ an AVA Float shock. 4 inches of travel might be overkill for some (most?) of the trails in the foothills. I think it handles pretty well and one of the neat things about the bike is that you can adjust the chainstay length and the shock position to get 6 different combinations of shock travel, head tube angle and bottom bracket height. I have it in the short chainstay position for better climbing and the 4 in. slack mode for longer travel w/out making it too twitchy going downhill.

Cons would be a history of failures w/ the flimsy derailleur hanger and the main pivot bolt. I haven't had the pivot bolt fail on me but I did replace the hanger w/ a beefier one I got online. Can't really think of any cons associated w/ the handling or performance. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have heard from about 99% of Tracer owners that the design works best with a Float RL and does not need a propedal shock. That said, why did you choose the AVA Float (I know yours is not propedal, right?). Does the Tracer ride harsh on smaller stuff and you needed more volume?

I have a Fox F100X fork so I assume I'd keep it in the 4" mode out back, and since I value climbing performance and stability on the down I'd probably set it up like yours since it seems you like the same habits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I have heard from about 99% of Tracer owners that the design works best with a Float RL and does not need a propedal shock. That said, why did you choose the AVA Float (I know yours is not propedal, right?). Does the Tracer ride harsh on smaller stuff and you needed more volume?

I have a Fox F100X fork so I assume I'd keep it in the 4" mode out back, and since I value climbing performance and stability on the down I'd probably set it up like yours since it seems you like the same habits.
    Intense for the longest time spec'ed the Tracer w/ the Float R/RL and pretty much said the bike was designed w/ that shock in mind. However for as long as I've lurked on bike boards, a fair number of Tracer owners have asked for other options because of complaints that the stock Floats didn't really seem to use the full amount of travel or were'nt plush enough. I also found that to be the case, which is why I retrofitted an AVA air sleeve on my non-propedal RL. The AVA air sleeve does wonders for small bump sensitivity and I also find that I get more of the bike's usable travel since a larger air sleeve makes the shock more linear. A harsh ride on a Tracer w/ a stock Float shock is more due to the shock than the suspension design, IMO. If you've got $75, I'd recommend the AVA retrofit. I thought it was money well spent.

The short chainstay setting means I give up a bit of high speed stability in return for better climbing position and I don't really miss it. But I do notice it, especially railing on some of the really fast smooth downhills around here, like the lower part of Corralls or Hard Guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last question, I promise. Does the AVA sleeve and its volume increase bobbing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    No problem, I don't mind answering questions.

I haven't noticed an increase in bob w/ the AVA sleeve. I was never that bothered by it in the first place, and the AVA hasn't really done anything to change that. By the way, the upgrade is something you could do in about 20 minutes...its that easy. Would need access to a bench vise though.