Any Danksin riding this spring?- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Any Danksin riding this spring?

Well the motorized trails are now open:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/110/story/76864.html

Seemed like this was the place-to-be a couple of years ago thanks to Cook, but I really didn't see much said about it last year (I could be wrong though).

It's definately way-outta-the-way for me to make it on the weekends unless someone would pay for my ga$.

Hoops - Big and Small

Start penny pinching for gas money

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Well the motorized trails are now open:
    It's definately way-outta-the-way for me to make it on the weekends unless someone would pay for my ga$.
    Pics from May 05 - Thanks Nels!
    Attached Images Attached Images

beer is good
    Hey I was just out there on thurs.. Trails were in good shape, with a few washed out spots
    but really no prob. Surprise, I took some pix
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Hi!!!
    I'm assuming you went to the non-motorized portion of the Danskins....the stuff north of where all the MX stuff is?

If so....is that stuff easy to negotiate? I mean is it difficult to get lost there? Ie...are there alot of intersecting trails and whatnot?

beer is good
    Yes non-moto
    Easy to negotiate? dunno, I think so...mostly in and out on the drainage's for Grouse,Lime,Deadmans/Cow, and Willow Creeks. The trouble comes when you try and connect these to make a loop, this would include hike-a-bikes over very steep terrain, or beach cruzin when the reservoir is low enough. (it's not now)
    Still fun to explore, shouldn't get lost on an in and out, be aware of your surroundings and have fun.
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    thats some sweet looking single track. what's the climbing like? Like difficulty and amount wise or is it a lot of flowy single track like the last picture.

Hoops - Big and Small

Simple Introductory Route

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I'm assuming you went to the non-motorized portion of the Danskins....the stuff north of where all the MX stuff is?
    If so....is that stuff easy to negotiate? I mean is it difficult to get lost there? Ie...are there alot of intersecting trails and whatnot?
    I've ridden both sides - there is some good single track on the moto side just not as sweet as the ribbons of dirt in Nels Photo's.

If you want to do a Ridge Cruise to check out the area, you know how to get a hold of me. I promise it won't be a death march through streams, creeks and marshes!

These pics are from the Ridge Cruise (out and back)

Hoops - Big and Small

Trail Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by aj_gilbs
    thats some sweet looking single track. what's the climbing like? Like difficulty and amount wise or is it a lot of flowy single track like the last picture.
    Rating trails is very local specific - but here's my take.

Climbs for most of the Danskins are

technically moderate

physically strenuous

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    Thanks, crash, hmm, looks like i may have to check them out this summer when i'm back in boise

dirt enthusiast

wow!

i rode in the danskins a few years back and i dont remember it looking so awesome or seeing a reservoir! i do remember that it was a lot of strenuous climbing and really sandy, rutted, washed out downhill! i crashed at least 3 times and was not impressed at all! i pretty much had no ambition to get back out there. until i see this pics!! i apparently needed a tour guide to really appreciate the danskins! just might be willing to give it another go
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by georgezilla
    i rode in the danskins a few years back and i dont remember it looking so awesome or seeing a reservoir! i do remember that it was a lot of strenuous climbing and really sandy, rutted, washed out downhill! i crashed at least 3 times and was not impressed at all! i pretty much had no ambition to get back out there. until i see this pics!! i apparently needed a tour guide to really appreciate the danskins! just might be willing to give it another go
    You probably rode the motorized portion....all the stuff south of the road.

I went out there a couple of years ago and hit one of the bigger parking lots....saw Cook's ol' WRX out there. Looked at my map....looked at the trail.....looked at my map again....looked at the trail again. I just threw up my hands in defeat....I think it was trail 300 that was the main trail that climbed up out of the parking lot and it looked really steep. Plus there were alot of MX'ers out there going up and down it. I figured "screw it" and just headed back to Boise and dinked around Military Reserve instead.

But I think this was before folks started talking about the non-motorized portion of the Danksins. If I woulda known that....I woulda looked for the drainages to ride up-and-down on instead.

Hoops - Big and Small

Ridge Ride Tour

Quote Originally Posted by georgezilla
    until i see this pics!! i apparently needed a tour guide to really appreciate the danskins! just might be willing to give it another go
    Chris Cook took me out there and schooled me on where to go - So I'll pay it forward and offer up a a guided ridge tour. Anybody that wants to arrange a group ride, I'll go along as a tour guide.

The views from the ridgeline are amazing and the double track out to the turn around point was in great shape last year.

dirt enthusiast

schweeeeet!

that would be appreciated! i think we were riding the moto trails~but i really have no idea!! maybe the trails were the 400's?! does that help?! all i know is that it didnt look much like those pics! i'm definately in and i'm sure i could talk surly and visi into it as well! getting out of the footies traffic would be awesome! thanks!
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Chris Cook took me out there and schooled me on where to go - So I'll pay it forward and offer up a a guided ridge tour. Anybody that wants to arrange a group ride, I'll go along as a tour guide.
    I'd be up for that. Just let me know when.

I rode there once with Daryl, but that was my only trip.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Hoops - Big and Small

Mid to late April should be good

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I'd be up for that. Just let me know when.
    Somebody remember to bump this thread so we can put a trip together in a couple of weeks.

Here's my attempt at trail signage - don't get lost!

Hi!!!
    If you were to compare this Ridge Cruise of yours to something around here...what would it be like?

Hoops - Big and Small
    Dude your going to get SPANKED so come up with a safe word now - maybe something like uncle.

You better bring that cute bear nurse to lick your wounds.

I think its 10-15 miles round trip with maybe 800-1200 vertical, lots of up and down for a ridge road.

mtbr member
    Nice map/pic. I'm pretty sure that we took the double track to the reservior the one time that I rode out there.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    dont get sand bagged by C_B. riding out here is hideous. these trails start in no particular place and go no particular place. rattlesnake danger is high, riding is extremely strenuous and dangerous. this is no foothills ride. be prepared to spend the night!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    The courts forbid me from interacting with the general public without the supersion of my social worker and PO. I am also a delicate flower incapable of climbing anything steeper than a handicap ramp, much less ride up, or down< anything strewn with sand and rocks.
    How am I going to get the blue light special up those trails. I'm as weak as a kitten....meow.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Hoops - Big and Small

Burp...opps I meant Bump

Weekend Danskin exploration - It got dark but we didn't spend the night, oh yeah we had rattle snake for dinner, Yummy!

mtbr member

i want in!

on a group ride. not this weekend (4/14) but next (4/21) i'll be down.

we're heading to fruita in 36 hrs. be back on sunday. weather looks ok down there. but, i'm trying to be optimistic for warm(er) temps and no rain like they're calling for.

i definitely want to head out for a group ride in the danskins this spring.

Wandervans

Out there on Saturday

Ian, Nic, and I went out for a big ride on saturday in the Danskins. We ran into Steve while we were taking a break and finished up the ride toegther.

The ride was good, we went down cow creek and came out along willow creek, the trails were in good shape minus a couple swampy sections. The hike-a-bike section was a little roughter carrying the heavy supermoto, althought Ian's bike was at least 5 to 10lbs heavier.

Don't forget some of these trails are not for the faint of heart, this is not the foothills by any stretch of the imagination.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    I"l be watching for the group ride... if I can get away from family duties. I did a few rides where we'd cross lucky peak dam, then take a right toward rhoads park or whatever that is across the dam and a left before the park. Last time i was up there, we got chased off by someone in a 4wd pickup, threatening us to stay off private property. I've always wanted to go back and explore more.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Members who have read this thread: 0