Ant's Basin GPS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ant's Basin GPS

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Ant's Basin GPS

Does anybody have a GPS track for the 4th July/Ant's Basin/Williams Creek ride? I need to do a lot of soul-searching this week and decide if I think I can lug my heavy bike over it with the old man.

Thanks-

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish McCorduroy
    Does anybody have a GPS track for the 4th July/Ant's Basin/Williams Creek ride? I need to do a lot of soul-searching this week and decide if I think I can lug my heavy bike over it with the old man.

Thanks-
    I have ridden it with a 60 year old and he made it. As long as he can ride for 6 hours you will be fine.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks-

to clarify: i'm not worried about my old man. i'm worried about me.

mtbr member
    I rode it two weeks ago and it's in pretty good shape. There'[s a little bit of blow down on the Warm Springs Trail, but otherwise it's good. I didn't have a GPS with me though.

Getting up the last 3/4 of a mile to the top of Ant's Basin is the only significant climb (unless you bike up 4th of July Creek Rd). The WIlliams Creek climb isn't bad at all.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That gpx posted by Twisted Crank will rectify the problem of not knowing where to cross the creek in the meadow in order to get to pigtail/williams creeeks (at least for me).

Thanks, twisted!

mtbr member
    I did that route last fall minus 4th of july road. it was a hoot.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Any body have a current GPS file? I have some great photos and would like to write this up on the new IMBA MTB Project web site.

Above link no workey no mo.

Wandervans
    You could just draw one in Google Earth otherwise I will be have one for you at the end of September.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Try this. It's 5 years old but unless the alignment has changed it should be accurate. There was a group of 10 of us taking pictures, etc. so the time is pretty slow.

Ant's Basin by camerabill at Garmin Connect - Details
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    GPS is nice in a techy-nerd kind of way, but word of mouth, an out-date-map, and the possibly of getting turned around earns more adventure points and due respect.

mtbr member
    So True on the adventure points - I could tell you stories...
    Looks like the Idaho Parks and Rec trail site updated the details on how to get to Born Lakes rather than droping off the edge of Antz Basin:
    Idaho Parks & Recreation
    I submitted to the IMBA site - we will see if it gets posted...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trust me

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    GPS is nice in a techy-nerd kind of way, but word of mouth, an out-date-map, and the possibly of getting turned around earns more adventure points and due respect.
    So true. It's not an adventure until you get lost. I always knew an adventure was about to begin when I heard Meeker say, "trust me." Which usually meant nobody knew where we where on the map, the car was at least 5-hours away and when we did finally make it back hot thirsty and dead tired, we'd figure out the keys to the car where back in the shuttle rig. I miss the days of getting lost, "trust me!"

Mike e.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    Any body have a current GPS file? I have some great photos and would like to write this up on the new IMBA MTB Project web site.

Above link no workey no mo.
    Ants Basin Robinson Bar GPS Exchange

mtbr member
    is the ride description on that link yours? If so, when you say warm springs meadow to robinson bar is bad, is that portion skipped when you ride ants basin, warm springs creek, williams creek?

mtbr member
    Yes - There are 2 separate rides in there or one big ride.
    The MtbProject web site is reviewing my post so it will become more clear soon.
    Fourth of July is the Start of a 40 mile loop that comes out Williams Creek.

After Antz Basin you can continue to Born Lake then down Warm Springs Creek to the Meadow.

Form Warm Springs Meadow a decision has to be made. Go out Williams Creek or continue to Robinson Bar.

The post that talked about the trail from Warm Springs Meadow to Robinson Bar being "bad" needs to be considered that when that guy rode it there were downed trees.

The trail is double black diamond if you want that kind of thing. Check with the forest service to see if down fall has been cleared.

dblblack
    Apr 2012

GPS data for Ants Basin

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    This ride was done on Aug 20, 2011. The rider was Allikat, who also posted earlier in this thread. The description was for the 2011 ride, and we haven't updated it yet.

jalepenio jimenez
    The post that talked about the trail from Warm Springs Meadow to Robinson Bar being "bad" needs to be considered that when that guy rode it there were downed trees.

The trail is double black diamond if you want that kind of thing. Check with the forest service to see if down fall has been cleared.
    ...now there's a stretch. not just a black diamond, but a double bd.
    where did that rating come from?
    i've ridden it a couple times and i'm a gumby. it's a good ride for any advanced rider...lots of downhill and coss-country. an off the beaten path must-do if you have two cars.
    there is a big creek crossing lower down and some serious side drainage blowouts you have to negotiate, but they're easy enough.
    I wouldn't recommend it to most people for the exit from ants basin, but it's definitely not an "experts only" ride.
    just my 2 cents.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    Let's ask dblblack

He has the user name so he should know what trail is single black diamond and what is double.

The definition on the MTBProject web site has the specifications for their ratings. I think I followed those for width etc...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Difficulty ratings mean nothing. If you're not smart enough to get off and walk, you're just not smart enough.

The true test of a trail's merit is whether it's G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17.

XXX doesn't exist because that's handled only professional fornicators who get their amperage and sponsorship from Red Bull.

NC-17 is best because:
    This trail is clearly adult and children are not admitted. Such trails may contain brutality/pervasive extreme non-stop graphic violence, explicit sexual content, sexual assault, extreme horror, strong graphic non-stop language, strong graphic drug use, and/or aberrational behavior.
    A "double black diamond" clearly gives no indication of such redeeming qualities.

dblblack
    Apr 2012

Ant's Basin Trail rating

Let's ask dblblack

He has the user name so he should know what trail is single black diamond and what is double.

The definition on the MTBProject web site has the specifications for their ratings. I think I followed those for width etc...
    Nice one on the name. Problem is that I don't consider myself "double black" on a bike, that is more of a reference to my skiing preferences. :-) Also, it was Alilkat who did the ride, (he is a skilled, accomplished rider). After consulting with each other, we rated the ride as "Expert", NOT "Expert Only". In general, our ratings on the rides that are in GPS-Exchange.com and Hi-Adventure.com are more of a guideline as to who would get the most out of that ride. I would agree with Twisted, "If you're not smart enough to get off and walk, you're just not smart enough."
    When you consider where the ride was, the length, the potential for trouble, certain trail sections, etc... we felt that an expert rider would enjoy that ride much more then a novice. Hence the expert rating.

jalepenio jimenez
    you will probably find very few novice and intermediate riders looking for a ride like Warm Springs. on the other hand, you will find lots of advanced, and I guess experts, who are. if it was me and i saw it rated big black double d, i'd probably not consider it for a ride any time soon. that's all i'm saying...about that.
    it still is a great ride, double bd or whatever. it's been awhile since i did it and lots of things could have changed since then.
    but if it has been cleared, i guess i'd have to rate it *NC-17.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is it too early to be thinking about Ant's Basin this year? I' d like to try to ride it in a little over a week, but not worth it to spend a long day fighting blowdown. Do I need to try to get in touch with Ed Cannady and ask him?

mtbr member
    Hikers report snow above 8k and on the north side especially. As far a blow down...not had the problem. If you want a groomed trail before you go call the Forest Service. Ed is a great resource.

July 4th is the earliest I know of anyone attempting.
    Could be good now?
    Need to ask someone who has the beta...

Buller? anyone???

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Hoping to hit it on July 12th on my way through the area, I'll definitely be seeking intel on conditions closer to that date.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Word from Ed is that this weekend is probably a little early due to snow and possibly downed trees, but it shouldn't be long. FS has not cleared the trail, and he's not aware of anyone else having done it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone been out to Antz lately, and before its closed for good?? Trail report???

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Great shape. Only about a dozen trees down from Ants to Williams Creek turnoff. Not sure about the rest of Warm Springs.

Members who have read this thread: 0