Another SWISS...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Another SWISS...

I just built up another singlespeed for a friend... He wants to try it to see what it's all about... If you see this bike on the trail (you can't really miss this bike), say "Hi" to the rider. His name is Jon and he's a very cool dude (and very fast)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

King of the Barneys

... and if we just ... looks very light...

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    I just built up another singlespeed for a friend... He wants to try it to see what it's all about... If you see this bike on the trail (you can't really miss this bike), say "Hi" to the rider. His name is Jon and he's a very cool dude (and very fast)...
    and fast. We're taking over the whole world!!!
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

I'm guessing

Less than 20 lbs... maybe 19.5... I wanted to test ride it but as you can see, it's a bit bigger than what I would ride...

Hoops - Big and Small

Carbon Frame

I wonder who much the frame will flex under power - What size is the Pro 9.9?

mtbr member

Jon is a big tall strong rider...

and he's a masher... He's about your size and the bike is an XL. But looking at the way the chainstays on the 9.9 is overbuilt, I'm not sure if it's flexible... Having said that, after inspecting his frame during the build, there was a bit of paint missing from tire rub on the inside part of the left chainstay. This typically happens if the stays are not stiff or the rear wheel is overly flexy (or he taco'd a wheel and rode it like that for a few miles)...
    He's riding it this afternoon... I hope he likes SS. Good to see more people joining the cult.

Hoops - Big and Small

Power Stroke

Sounds like the guy can put down some power - now that it's an ss it will be interesting to see what kind of abuse it get's. With a geared bike you don't have to think about momentum as much as with a SS. The frame will have some different demands put on it. Thanks for your awareness an honesty about the shape the frame is in.
    Have fun on your ride - I would be very curious to hear the after ride impressions.

P.S. I remember when that design was first introduced. The BB area has evolved into a stronger more robust design. Looks like the HT junction received the same treatment. Found an old pic of a 9900.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Not to hijack this tread but...

Good to see more people joining the cult.
    I wouldn't exactly call SS a cult. It's just another way of riding bikes after all - like freeriding, endurance racing, riding fixies, road riding, BMX, trials, commuting, etc etc etc.

As for cults - here's the definition: A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

SS is neither extreme nor false and these days it's getting less and less uncoventional. It certainly lacks an authoritarian, charismatic leader. I would agree, however, that it can cause fanaticism that one could excuse as bordering on religion.

I would say it's good to see more people freeing themselves from the enslavement of gears. Get a fixie and you'll free yourself from the enslavement of brakes too.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

That has to be a Klein paint job...

He does put down a lot of power... I think he finished no less than 2nd in the NOVA Norba National in the XC and Short Track and maybe 3rd in the TT in Expert.
    I think the OCLV design has evolved a bit... This bike actually had AL chainstays bonded to the carbon BB... I think OCLV hardtails frames are now full carbon. The thing that sucked about the fat chainstays was that I couldn't run the tensioner in push up mode for more wrap as the chain will rub the bottom of the stay (would've been ok if we used a 34 chainring). I always let customers know exactly what is up with their bikes/parts. I sent him a couple of close up shots of where I think the frame has been compromised due to wear/use so he can keep an eye out for it.

Now-now TC... you getting all literal on me...

Hoops - Big and Small

SS as A Cult

Here's an interesting definition

"The single-speed cult is comprised mainly of Luddites, nonconformists, retro grouches engaged in reverse snobbery, masochistic self-flagellators who like to suffer by pushing a big gear up hills, and a smattering of late adopters such as myself who appreciate the simplicity and light weight of single speeds but worry that they’re only riding one because some people think they’re cool." - Steve Casimiro

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Now-now TC... you getting all literal on me...
    Yeah yeah, I know, I've been a consulting engineer way too long...

Now let's talk about power output. I did a little back-of-the-envelop calculating and I'd estimate that with front suspension and a chain tensioner your probably transfering 1-3% of your pedal power to vertical forces depending on other external forces. Getting rid of the the front suspension will probably reduce that power loss to maybe 0.5%. Put some vulgar stickers on it and give it a name like "Vomit Comet" and you'll have one smokin bike.

mtbr member

My favorite thing about SS

Is the Recycling (if using an old frame) aspect of it... and the relative maintenance free aspect of it... The fact that it's light, simple, and absolutely fun and fast is an added bonus...

Hey TC- maybe it's because I have been OUT of consulting for over half a year that got me back into full time SS after seasonally dabbling in it for the past 12 years... hehe... begin the simplification process of retirement... Actually it looks like I maybe working again (locally) in the next couple of weeks... Yucky...

Hoops - Big and Small

flipless

No more ride reports, bike conversions and adventure's shared, hmmm?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Having to work...

Having to work is nature's way of telling you that you're having too much fun.

Then again, at either end of the social spectrum there exists a leisure class.

mtbr member

Well... there is this bike that is going through

the conversion next... It's not a customer's bike, it's mine... The next rainy day will be it's date with the wrench... It's my travel bike (it's a folder) and I figured, it would be better to travel with a bike without derailleurs to whack out of place during a ride or commute...

Hoops - Big and Small

Classic

Nice work man! I'am hoping my ends are longer than my middle - wow that came out weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Having to work is nature's way of telling you that you're having too much fun.

Then again, at either end of the social spectrum there exists a leisure class.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

More thread wander

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn

"The single-speed cult is comprised mainly of Luddites, nonconformists, retro grouches engaged in reverse snobbery, masochistic self-flagellators who like to suffer by pushing a big gear up hills, and a smattering of late adopters such as myself who appreciate the simplicity and light weight of single speeds but worry that they’re only riding one because some people think they’re cool." - Steve Casimiro
    Great definition but it doesn’t include old farts with beer bellies that are tired of cleaning 9-spd drivetrains in the winter. I built a single speed to get back some of the leg strength lost due to age and reclining with a beer in hand. It was getting too easy to blow off going for a bike ride and running the dogs because it was too wet, too sloppy or too snowy – I started to sound just like Goldie Locks everything was just “too”. With the SS I just throw it in the car with the dogs head to Rocky Canyon and wipe off the chain when done. Fortunately, the Buddha belly is slowly receding.

Back to thread – Flippin, you may hold the record for getting the most SS on the foothill trails. Congrats on another beautiful SS build!

King of the Barneys

Preach it, brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn

"The single-speed cult is comprised mainly of Luddites, nonconformists, retro grouches engaged in reverse snobbery, masochistic self-flagellators who like to suffer by pushing a big gear up hills, and a smattering of late adopters such as myself who appreciate the simplicity and light weight of single speeds but worry that they�re only riding one because some people think they�re cool." - Steve Casimiro
    that's a great quote. I think I'm all of the above. But whatever label you put on us, these one-trick ponies are fun to ride, and a new challenge to help revive the fun of riding old, boring trails for the hundredth time.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Alright guys, I dont mean to diss anyones passion, and you have some sweet looking bikes, but are these SS bikes really just fancy BMX bikes for big kids?

Maybe Im just jealous because I dont have the knees for one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Spare me iBhudda

Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    Great definition but it doesn?t include old farts with beer bellies that are tired of cleaning 9-spd drivetrains in the winter. !
    the iBhudda is hardly old or fat. When you see me out there running on my lunch hour and down to 190 lbs. THEN you can claim the title of oldest fattest SSpeeder in Adaville. Til then baby you got some beer drinking and xtreme aging to do if you wanna catch up.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boise_pedaler
    Alright guys, I dont mean to diss anyones passion, and you have some sweet looking bikes, but are these SS bikes really just fancy BMX bikes for big kids?
    In a way yeah. Let's be honest here...how many of us when we were younger owned a BMX bike? I owned several. You often hear SS'ers talking about how SS'ing takes you back to mountain biking's roots and the simplicity of it all.

Hell I don't have the knees either, but that pain sure is fun!!!!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

No pegs

Quote Originally Posted by Boise_pedaler

Yeah but SS bikes don't have pegs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blast from the past

the conversion next... It's not a customer's bike, it's mine... The next rainy day will be it's date with the wrench... It's my travel bike (it's a folder) and I figured, it would be better to travel with a bike without derailleurs to whack out of place during a ride or commute...
    FlipniIdaho, thanks for a trip down memory lane. I used to work at Wild Rose in Salt Lake City that sold Slingshot bikes. One of the guys in the shop named Martin Stenger raced for Slingshot and took 10th at Mammoth Nationals around 1990. I think he took second or third in the hill Climb. He could climb like goat on that bike.

Slingshots climb great but if my memory serves me they are a little spooky on the downhill. I guess it could have been the bike or maybe the first generation RockShox

For a little history of the bike see First Flight below.
    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/slingshot.htm

Hope it rains some more so I can see you and the Slingshot on the trail.

King of the Barneys

Not just a big

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    that's a great quote. I think I'm all of the above. But whatever label you put on us, these one-trick ponies are fun to ride, and a new challenge to help revive the fun of riding old, boring trails for the hundredth time.
    kids BMX for me. I don't do any dirt jumping or aerial stuff on mine. It's fully rigid, so the most I'll do is a 2 foot drop (usually roll it) (& if you can find any around here).

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Or...

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I would say it's good to see more people freeing themselves from the enslavement of gears. Get a fixie and you'll free yourself from the enslavement of brakes too.
    Or, free yourself from singlespeeding, buy a road bike, and feel real pain.

mtbr member

All of the above

Or, free yourself from singlespeeding, buy a road bike, and feel real pain.
    What do you think of this work in progress? 53X18 on the road...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

if it aint fixed

What do you think of this work in progress? 53X18 on the road...
    As Twist would prolly say, "if it aint fixed, it's broken." Enough road bike talk. Flip, you up for a ride at about 3:30 tomorrow?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

I'm fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    As Twist would prolly say, "if it aint fixed, it's broken." Enough road bike talk. Flip, you up for a ride at about 3:30 tomorrow?
    I'm fixed. But that was surgery.