Anaconda with family- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Anaconda with family

In the never ending search of riding new places in a ~4hr drive, my attention has turned to Anaconda. I hear there is a nice hot spring and they have some lift access. What are the trails like-lift access and xc? Mom and dad can handle whatever, but son is five, so he needs flowy easy climbing trails or flowy(non gap) tables on the bike park. What's town like?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    are you talking Fairmont hot springs and discovery ski basin?
    anaconda is a small town, not much going on. the supper club is great I hear.
    I was just at Fairmont and nice indoor and outdoor pool, small water slide. great place for a family.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    are you talking Fairmont hot springs and discovery ski basin?
    anaconda is a small town, not much going on. the supper club is great I hear.
    I was just at Fairmont and nice indoor and outdoor pool, small water slide. great place for a family.
    I guess I'm talking about discovery and the rest of the area. Lift serve(with flow style trails)gives my son the most riding time, since he's not strong enough to climb yet. Pump tracks are good too. Flattish XC trails are great as well. So I guess my question is are the lift serve trails flowy or more gnar style? Are there some decent 1-2hr rides for mom and dad to do solo?
    With a hot springs nearby, it would open up other possibilities.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    In the never ending search of riding new places in a ~4hr drive, my attention has turned to Anaconda. I hear there is a nice hot spring and they have some lift access. What are the trails like-lift access and xc? Mom and dad can handle whatever, but son is five, so he needs flowy easy climbing trails or flowy(non gap) tables on the bike park. What's town like?
    MTB infrastructure in the area is in its infancy. There are USFS trails in the forest, but the density is low and they can be steep, like most CCC-vintage trails. Trailforks would be a good resource for finding potential rides. However, there is a lot of good singletrack in the Butte area, which isn't that far from Anaconda. From Anaconda, the drive to Disco's bike park will take you longer than driving to Butte, actually. The bike park is low on the north side, and not in the same location as the lodge. There are no amenities beyond porta-potties. Bring food and drinks with you.

Disco's bike park is well-built, but small. The trails are nearly all machine-built so they tend towards the flow end of the spectrum, with difficulty based largely on type and number of features. There are several good green and blue trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have been attending a set of meetings at Fairmont for about 6 years now. just about all of the riding I have done in that area has been around butte. Mainly the cdt out of homestake pass. there is a paved trail that I have not road, between Fairmont and I-90, so I can't say much about that.