Alpine Trail #7, Montana- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Alpine Trail #7, Montana

I've ridden the Alpine Trail from Strawberry Lake all the way to its northern terminus at Columbia Mountain. This summer, I want to try another section of it. Has anyone else ridden other sections of it? I'm thinking about riding up Bond Creek to Alpine Trail #7 north to trail #10 (according to my Flathead National Forest map), then back down. Also, how about accessing it from the South Fork Lost Creek trailhead, around Thunderbolt Mountain?

Talentless Hack
    A few years ago I rode the Swan Lake section with two buddies. We started in Swan Lake up FR 9508 to trailhead TR 10. A steep climb up to a ridge line and junction with TR 7. Rode this to Hall Peak, some tough riding with lots of bear crap. Evens out for a bit followed with some brutal climbs. At one point you'll pass a boggy area with a gazzilion mosquitos and a brutal hike-a-bike section, I went anemic from blood loss. We hooked up with TR 78 for a fantastic downhill, one of the best downhills I have ever ridden. I think it took about five to six hours but we weren't in a hurry. Bond Creek has a ton of water bars and is not recomended as a downhill. TR 78 now has water bars but I have not ridden since they were put in. I personally have not ridden Thunderbolt mountain but have heard from several riding buddies that this is a fun ride.
    James

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    A few years ago I rode the Swan Lake section with two buddies. We started in Swan Lake up FR 9508 to trailhead TR 10. A steep climb up to a ridge line and junction with TR 7. Rode this to Hall Peak, some tough riding with lots of bear crap. Evens out for a bit followed with some brutal climbs. At one point you'll pass a boggy area with a gazzilion mosquitos and a brutal hike-a-bike section, I went anemic from blood loss. We hooked up with TR 78 for a fantastic downhill, one of the best downhills I have ever ridden. I think it took about five to six hours but we weren't in a hurry. Bond Creek has a ton of water bars and is not recomended as a downhill. TR 78 now has water bars but I have not ridden since they were put in. I personally have not ridden Thunderbolt mountain but have heard from several riding buddies that this is a fun ride.
    James
    Thanks for the response. I'm checking out your route right now on my Flathead Forest map, and it looks pretty promising.

Members who have read this thread: 0