Almost run down!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Almost run down!!!!!

Almost got run off the trail the other day by some knucklehead on a single speed wearing a BYRDS jersey. Thought they taught those guys some manners!
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member

That doesn't really suprise me!

I have seen some of the worst trail etiquette in the foothills from the BRYDS riders, riding off trail not yielding to other bikers or hikers. (adults and children) I actually politely called one of them out on it one day and he verbally attacked me about it. Right in front of all his little grom followers. I was amazed at his display right in front of all these impressionable preteen/teen kids. It will be interesting to see how they act out on the trails once they grow up. If they end up acting like some of the adults that are guiding them it won't be good!

just one bums observations
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Look out!
    Better watch out for those ankle biters, they will gang up on you and kick your a$$ when you least expect it.
    Ride the bike.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Ditto on the BYRDS' lack of etiquette knowledge or lack of etiquette practice, both mountain and road. I've been run off the trail - riding uphill - more than once by the BYRDS. (One of the first things I taught my son was to yield to uphill riders.)

More recently, I was driving down BB road a couple of weeks ago and came up behind a group of BYRDS. They were (including the adults) riding 4 abreast across the entire lane and refusing to yield whatsoever. I get the whole "share the road" thing with roadies, but c'mon - when I road ride, I don't take up the entire lane.

As a multiple-season coach of kids sports, I know that the first lessons and primary lessons are the rules of the game. I don't get the sense that "the rules" (aka, etiquette) are taught (or, if taught, followed) to/by the BYRDS riders - including the adults.

Cheese
    Jun 2004
    I've been coaching with the BYRDS since 2004, we work hard on proper trail and road etiquette ďeveryĒ ride. The kids will be the first to tell you that I will stop my group if I see improper use of the trail or road.

Since BYRDS have been around for 6 years or so, I often see people wearing our jerseys who I have no idea who they are. After so many years you have to understand we truly have had 100ís of kids floating in and out of our program; once they leave we have little to no control over trail and road behavior even though they might be wearing one of our kits. On occasion I also see adults wearing BYRDS, they could be a parent I donít know, or they could be someone who was given or bought a jersey. Iím not to dismissing your claims at all, we are not perfect, and I know things happen. As much as we try to teach and mentor the right behavior Iíve seen kids turn around and do exactly what you told them not to do. My reasoning for responding here is to assure our good intent in our teaching the youth we have been entrusted with. I do have to question if itís an actual BYRDS coach or ride leader, the kids usually tell us when something happens, and Iíve heard of no recent confrontation, and Iím at nearly every ride. The behavior you posted about is just not something we tolerate from a coach, and I assure you Douglas Tobin, the Director of BYRDS, nor myself -Colby Dees- teach or reinforce poor behavior on a trail or road. We would love to know more about these situation(s) and would invite you to call one of us. Our phone numbers are listed on byrdscycling.com website.

BYRDS focus on proper bike etiquette, and lifelong fitness by getting kids off the couch for some fun on two wheels. Itís a great program and I feel bad that you have had this experience. We would rather hear from you in person so we have a chance to respond in an appropriate way, rather than read an angry message. Working together will assure that the proper etiquette transfers to our youth who are now using the trails.
    Thanks,
    Colby Dees

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Earthpig- maybe you were baked and thought you saw 4 abreast coming down BB, and if they were 4 abreast it was only for a second. I'm pretty sure if you were fallowing them coming down BB you were speeding!! So why don't you mind the rules of the road.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Nice followup, good luck with your team!

mtbr member
    [quote=Earthpig]

More recently, I was driving down BB road a couple of weeks ago and came up behind a group of BYRDS. They were (including the adults) riding 4 abreast across the entire lane and refusing to yield whatsoever. I get the whole "share the road" thing with roadies, but c'mon - when I road ride, I don't take up the entire lane. QUOTE]

I have never been stuck behind them coming down, you must drive fast! I have however been caught behind a group of them going up and they took their own sweet time letting me past.

I think the BRYDS is a great idea and good for kids, I just see a little too much of that elitist roady attitude/mentallity being displayed by some of the older guides/mentors//coaches whatever you want to call them. I think it has become such a part of how/why those cats ride that they forget about the etiquette and just wanna put their head down and spin spin spin.

For the record I have not had any unpleasant interactions with the BRYDS in several months since my last incident I mentioned in my post above. I thought about posting about it when it happened but that would have been "an angry message" At this point I was just following up someone else's comments with one bums observations.

I can ride bike now!
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Look out!
    Like I said a gang of ankle biters. Lying in wait for some poor unsuspecting mountain biker so they can force him off the trail at an inopportune moment. Oh the horrors.
    Ride the bike.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I agree that the BYRDS is a good idea, and I'm glad it's around. My son has asked if he could join - I think he enjoys road riding more than mountain biking.

As for etiquette, I stand by my opinion - which is all it is. These were not random BYRDS riders - each time, this was clearly a BYRDS group with many, many riders as well as adults wearing BYRDS jerseys. I see mountain bikers of all shapes and varietes riding off trail and failing to yield to uphill riders, as well as groups of roadies blocking traffic. Neither reflects well on the cycling community as a whole and reinforces the simmering ire of the general public with respect to cyclists as a whole. Just consider this an opinionated request to remind the BYRDS kids to be respectful of other riders, keep singletrack single, and be careful with idiots like myself on the roads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm going to have to agree with some of the above experiences. I've run into BYRDS on group rides on foothill trails on many occasions and found myself getting out of their way on several of those occasions either while I am riding or running. There is usually some adult with them. The attitude seems to be since I am just one guy going uphill it's a lot easier for me to stop and let them by then for them to stop and yield the trail. I can't remember EVER having a group of BYRDS yield the trail to me. I recall one occasion having to jump out into the weeds to get out the way of a bombing group. A couple of adult/older riders followed and were more courteous (at least they said thanks) but they seemed to not care about the out of control "I'm a racer so get out my way" attitude. It has occurred to me to call and complain but I just never get around to it. I just figure "That's Kids." But it's annoying.

Colby, if you and Doug are indeed trying to teach good trail etiquette, from where I stand (in the weeds) it doesn't seem to be working all that well. I hate to rain on what you guys are trying to do because I think it's fantastic to get kids out on the road and the trail on their bike. In many ways I KNOW you do great work. IMHO though, the trail etiquette is a bit shaky.

Cheese
    Jun 2004
    Again, I'm not denying that this doesn't happen even though we do talk about etiquette every ride. However please I inviting you to call us with details; it would even be great if you wanted to share your experience with our group before a ride some night, come talk to the kids as oppose to putting negative remarks on a public forum that clearly invite others to pile on. We are truly interested in fixing the issues not perpetuating them.

Cheese
    Jun 2004
    Iím sorry for the poor experience(s), and I'm sorry you feel that way, because we do try, and we actually get a fair amount of complements from trail users. BYRDS are kids with a few adults volunteering their time, the kids get excited and they don't always listen. We're big group these days, and weíre very visible, mistakes do happen, and when they do, we stand out like a sore thumb. I have also noted that often with a large group, a false sense of security and ownership takes place, perhaps more so with kids, but I see it in other large adult group rides too. I can promise that if I know my group has caused someone to jump in the weeds, my group was talked to. I realize that doesnít help you, but I hope itís an investment for the future.

I will make a point of bringing this up over the next couple of weeks as our season winds down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdees
    Iím sorry for the poor experience(s), and I'm sorry you feel that way, because we do try, and we actually get a fair amount of complements from trail users. BYRDS are kids with a few adults volunteering their time, the kids get excited and they don't always listen. We're big group these days, and weíre very visible, mistakes do happen, and when they do, we stand out like a sore thumb. I have also noted that often with a large group, a false sense of security and ownership takes place, perhaps more so with kids, but I see it in other large adult group rides too. I can promise that if I know my group has caused someone to jump in the weeds, my group was talked to. I realize that doesnít help you, but I hope itís an investment for the future.

I will make a point of bringing this up over the next couple of weeks as our season winds down.

My question would be; why ride in such large groups, then?
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Great kids

I for one really like the BYRDS. They introduce a bunch of kids to a sport we all love and they try and teach them good habits. There will always be one or two issues with a bad apple here and there but over all the BRYDS is a great program.

To top it off they actually teach the kids about volunteerism. If you ride trails up at Stack Rock, you have ridden on trails the BYRDS have worked on. If everyone in Boise had the ethic taught by the BYRDS, the ridding would be even better around here.

Boise
    Seems like there is no reason to keep beating the same horse...cdees is obviously well aware of the experiences people have had and I'd bet their next group ride will be with more awareness and be a bit more courteous.

Another suggestion would to have the adult leading the group ride lead... rotate the kids to ride sweep. That way the ride lead can better control the pace and ensure that the group stops and yields to uphill traffic.....just a thought. Kids are kids and we all know that they tend to act before the realize that they have pissed somebody off.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Kids on bikes is much, much better that not having kids on bikes - anytime, anywhere. The BYRDs are awesome.

We've all had negative interactions with other trail users, whether they're wearing a team kit or not. The BYRDs are easy targets because wearing those team kits is like wearing a target on your back that recreational users perceive as threatening. Get real, Mrs. Butterworth.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I agree completely that having kids on bikes is better than not having kids on bikes. The reality is I have experienced some level of bad behavior from lots of different types of trail users. The difference here is that there are a bunch of people riding with a big BYRDS logo on their chest. Makes them an easy target. I don't think we are piling on here, just bringing it to the attention of those in charge. I also believe those in charge are going to do something to fix any problems that might exist and I appreciate Colby's sincere responses to those of us who have had some problems in the past. I know what it feels like to be young and riding in a big group. And those of us who have teenagers know the brain in just not connected right sometimes. I am willing to cut a fair amount of slack. I look forward to the next time I encounter a group of BYRDS to see how things go. My guess it will be much better. If not I'll just make a phone call instead of dumping in a forum where it's sometime too easy to just be critical.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    We've all had negative interactions with other trail users, whether they're wearing a team kit or not.
    Most of my negative trail interactions are with those doggone spandex manpri-clad, unshorn, ne'er do well 'crossers.

Think they own the trail.

Harumph.

If you see this guy in particular, please give him an old fashioned East St. Louis style beatdown.

People not on 'cross bikes is WAY better than people on 'cross bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Almost run down!!!!!-dsc03108.jpg  

Cheese
    Jun 2004
    Just a quick note to say thanks! And happy trails to all!

Members who have read this thread: 0