Aldape to Lucky Peak?- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Aldape to Lucky Peak?

Geoff -- help a brotha out....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...32#post1190732
    Crash_Burn and I did a ride last fall that was his house to corrals to scotts to 8th to 4A to the ridge road, over to the top of Lucky Peak, down the trail by the old mine, back up to the ridge road and down trail 11 to Ben's Crow. I think at Ben's we were at around 40 miles or so.
    Looking at the R2R map....it doesn't look like there is any way to get from Aldape to Lucky Peak...or is there?

I was reading the linked thread and am hoping to do some rides up in the Foothills that are in the 20-30+ mile range .

Nick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave

Looking at the R2R map....it doesn't look like there is any way to get from Aldape to Lucky Peak...or is there?

I was reading the linked thread and am hoping to do some rides up in the Foothills that are in the 20-30+ mile range .

Nick

Nick, there are dirt roads that connects them, but they pass through private property and is not technically legal to ride on them. I'm unaware of a "legal" connection between the two. This will hopefully be something that will change with time.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nick
    If you can find an old R2R map, it shows a route. About .75 miles from Aldape on Rocky Canyon, a road peels off to the right and heads up to Luck Peak. A couple years ago this was posted as no-trespassing and removed from the R2R map. I think the property owner was upset by some trespassers who were having bonfires and leaving heaps of beer cans and bottles along the road (just a guess). I haven't ridden it since then. One of these days I'm going to explore and try to find a new route, using some jeep trails marked on a topo of the area that might not be posted.

I asked this question about two yers ago in this thread,...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ten+lucky+peak

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

There is a way that avoids the private land

I spoke to the landowner awhile back to see how I could avoid trespassing. (FYI - they closed the gate because of poaching, litter, off-trail ORV damage.) He said there is a way, just don't use the "Ridge Road" from RC Road. He said the that this trail avoided their family property. It is located about 2 miles from Aldape, on the right hand side. See the link:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...27&layer=DRG25

It is between 5 mile and Orchard, but located on the right hand side of RC Road. It is a grunt of a climb. Good luck.

I would also riding N. Eagle Road to Pearl. Granted it is a dirt road, but I think it a very pretty area with lots of rolling terrain. It is also I good way to get your ride fix and get in some mileage without tearing up any trails.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher

It is between 5 mile and Orchard, but located on the right hand side of RC Road. It is a grunt of a climb.
    Is that the one that goes to Schoonover gulch? I always wondered where that went...

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    I would also riding N. Eagle Road to Pearl. Granted it is a dirt road, but I think it a very pretty area with lots of rolling terrain. It is also I good way to get your ride fix and get in some mileage without tearing up any trails.
    You're not thinking about cross dressing are you?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hoops - Big and Small

Fun Down

[QUOTE=Visicypher]It is located about 2 miles from Aldape, on the right hand side. See the link:
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...27&layer=DRG25
    It is between 5 mile and Orchard, but located on the right hand side of RC Road. It is a grunt of a climb. Good luck.
    QUOTE]

That was always a fun down, going up it could be brutal - Looks like a new spring/summer challenge. Thanks for the info!

Ups & Downs

CB - It is a fun down hill. It shouldn't be that bad an uphill. It can get loose, though.

TC - I'll definitely call you when I get all x-dressed all up. We'll have to document my coming out. Until then, I'm in a hold pattern until my dress arrives. The debutante ball will have to wait.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I've got a chic velvet bandeau number that's side-shirred for a flattering fit with a matching brocade crepe chiffon cape that's just I'm just dying to show off.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

I have a LBD that I would die to show off...I might actually have to do the White Knob in that number.

mtbr member

Lucky Peak

I rode this road last spring. You have to remember that it is a non-maintained road so it was quite eroded/rutted from the winter. There were a section or two that ended up being shorter hike-a-bikes.
    The bomb down the other side towards squaw creek is well worth the grind.
    BoiseBoy

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Nick
    When CB and I did that ride, which was about 2.5 years ago, I'm pretty sure the route Justen mentions was still legal. Technically, you're not going from Aldape, but you take the road that is about .75 miles down RC road from the summit. Not sure when it was closed off, but as Justen says, the old R2R maps show it as an open route. The common name for that route from Rocky Canyon to Lucky Peak was Staircases. We used to do that ride alot, say, 10 years ago, and drop back towards Tablerock on the Terraces trail. I wiped out hard on Terraces (notoriously loose and sandy) in '98 and had trail rash from my ankle to my neck. As SFS would say, no bueno.

30 mile route in the footies? Doggone, Nick, use your bean. Lots of different ways to link dirt roads and and trails together to get 30 miles. Heck, I would guess Camels Back to Hulls Gulch to 8th Street to Scotts to Corrals to Hard Guy to the Ridge Road to Orchard Gulch to 3 Bears to 5 to 6 to Devils Slide to Sidewinder to Red Sands to Camels Back would net you some nifty miles. And, if you were Twisted Crank, you'd ride it all on a singlespeed cross bike in a dress and some nifty pink Mary Janes. And, at mile 35, you'd just be warming up.

Members who have read this thread: 0