After reading the Ak forum....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. After reading the Ak forum....

A bear sighted in a Boise sub......a Washington mtbr mauled,.....who has seen a bear in Idaho while riding.....In Ak sightings were common place. What about here?

Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    I did a long MTB ride this past weekend that started in Boise, and saw three black bear along the route. I rode to Atlanta and back along the Middle Fork Road. I saw two bear together just outside of the Atlanta dump (a good place to see bear), and a lone bear on the road home, about 10 miles upstream from Twin Springs. I tried getting pics, but they all managed to get away before I could get out my camera.

Two weeks ago, while biking on the east coast, I had a run in with a yellow jackets' nest. I can tell you that I'd much rather run into a bear than a swarm of angry bees. The bear tends to run away. Yellow jackets hurt a lot, keep stinging once they're attached to you, and the pain does not go away quickly.

As far as more local (to Boise) sightings, I've seen bear tracks on Eastside, and know people that have seen bear on that trail and on Dry Creek.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    i got between a momma bear and her cubs on dry creek a few years ago. sj and i see bear scat all the time on 5 mile/orchard.

BMX:Our Shining Future

bears on monday

My kid and me ran into a black bear near Utica riding bikes on Monday. It was on its way to the Limber Pines where there like to eat pine nuts in September. It was in a big hurry like they always are in September, eager to get fat. Didnt even really pay attention to us. We were pretty psyched.

mtbr member
    Ive seen as many as 4 bears in one ride here in Montana; 2 adult bears and 2 cubs.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Big old ugly racoons is what they are.

Me and my buddy "The Weedge" were riding down some tight switchbacks in Colorado once and a big ugly pug of a bear was on the switchback below us just a-snorting and ambling along. We pulled over and I picked up a baseball-sized rock to chuck in its general direction, just to spook it off. I lobbed that rock and I guess my trajectory was a bit off because I clocked that thing pretty hard on the back of the head. It fell down with a big huff of air, then ran off down the hill, cutting switchbacks the whole way. Fell down a couple of times too before it finally disappeared into the woods.

It was all me and The Big Weedge could do to keep from rolling on the trail in laughter.

It's not something I'm proud of but it was pretty funny at the time.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

beater

It's like a freakin' country bear jamboroo around here

They aren't uncommon in the hills. Word here is that the huckleberries peaked early this year, so they're coming down lower to fatten up for winter. The Helena paper had a cover story about several that have been seen around town, hanging out at the high school, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Is that a bar?

We saw a black bear a couple of weeks ago in the White Clouds. We had just climbed to the saddle and were having lunch. It looked like a black angus calf was walking along the ridge headed toward the trail we were about to ride. Then we realized it was a big bear not a calf. Just wish I would have had the camera out when it first appeared and would have shown up better. See if you can find it in the pic below. Look for the black dot on the ridge going into the trees with the dry lake in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 09-05-2007 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    I was riding eastside and had a bear drop out of the brush above me, take a few strides on the trail in front of me and then drop down the other side of the trail. Spooked me, it was close to that new section that was cut in up there.

think pink
    I've seen bears a plenty up around Eastside and the surrounding area. I was riding on the Julie Creek trail up near Lowman and nearly ran into a cub on the trail too. Scary.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Beats the heck out of walking into a room full of cats

http://kevinrose.com/post/8208796

Aug 2007
    Boise Idaho was on "Criminal Minds" last night; they showed a black bear and the show was about white trash freaks that hunted kidnapped persons in the Boise Nat'l Forest

:-)

Fly fat ass fly !
    I seen one little bear on mr.big trail today . Than i seen a **** load of cows............they looked mad !
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

Members who have read this thread: 0