Advice for a Tamarack Virgin- Mtbr.com

Jul 2007

Advice for a Tamarack Virgin

I'm heading out to Tamarack for the first time this weekend and was wondering if there was anything I should know before tackling the trails. I would consider my ability to be at the beginner/intermediate level. Mainly I plan on concentrating on the cross country riding versus the downhill as I only have a hardtail. Not that that has stopped me before though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    hey maybe you wanna hook up at tamarack.I'm going this Sunday to Tamarack. PM me if you wanna hook up. My advice would be to rent a bike at tamarack you will have much more fun. Its worth it. Depending on your ability level even some of the green trails are fun. Your bike could stand the stuff at tamarack (my friend did a race on Stage Freight at Tamarack on his hardtail)They have mini jumps and more technical stuff in them (though they are optional.) You will have fun up there if you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mortman
    Aug 2006

Tamarack

Rent a "big bike". Buy their insurance. Wear some pads and a full face helmet. Do the DOWNHILL. Beat the crap out of THEIR BIKE!

The cross Country trails are nice, but the bread and butter is the DH.

Either way, ENJOY!
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    anybody know what the access will be like this weekend with the races going on? seems like a lot of the hill should be roped off Sunday for the DH race, but I wonder what Sat will be like.

Model of Grace and Tact
    Don't believe the dirt if it says you can't get 'knocked up' on your first time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i dont know what the race will be like either. I'm going to go watch the race and take some pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

Jul 2007
    Thanks for the replies so far. With the races this weekend looking like they are going to take up the resort, where else in the McCall area would one look at pounding some cross country riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedmax
    Thanks for the replies so far. With the races this weekend looking like they are going to take up the resort, where else in the McCall area would one look at pounding some cross country riding?
    Eagle's Nest should be good (and flame free).

mtbr member
    I am going up Saturday morning and riding for a few hours while MTNgirl's son and buddy do the zipline. When these plans were made we didn't know about the races over the weekend. When I checked out the website the other day and saw all the activities planned for this weekend I gave them a call. I was assured by the people in the sports dome that only a couple of trails will be closed periodically through out the day Saturday and Sunday, but the majority of the mtn would still be open to the public to ride.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    The cross country race is Saturday and will only affect a few of the DH trails lower on the mountain. I think Apollo, Super G below that, AzuLejos, and Low Show Low will be the only ones affected and only until the race is over. It starts at 10 AM.

The DH race is Sunday, and the pros will run from the first road crossing of Super G onto the new double black trail, The Hibernator, down Super G to the new entrance to Stage Fright, down SF, which had some enhancements, and then Show Low.

Both races end after the three table top jumps before the five berm chicane and right after Lupine splits off.

There's also a local grassroots DH race Friday evening starting at 5 PM sharp. They'll be using the downhill only XC trails Culebra Loca and Fire....something, I believe.

Also, Friday evening is a jump jam contest in the dirt jump park. Several improvements have been made recently, including a new wooden launch platform with a cool drop-in and a log-over at one of the jumps.

D

Jul 2007
    Looks like I may just head to Tamarack Saturday and see whats open. Although some of the other trails look quite appealling as well. Guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Members who have read this thread: 0