Ada, Canyon still at odds on emissions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ada, Canyon still at odds on emissions

http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/70156.html

-"It's just another form of a tax," said Rep. Steve Kren, R-Nampa.

-Part of the challenge is convincing Canyon County residents that air pollution is their problem at all.

Despite monitoring data that shows high levels of pollutants in both counties during winter inversions and summer pollution events, many Canyon residents view the problem as Ada County's alone.

"I don't think the inversions or the smog are caused by Canyon County," Kren said.

-Canyon County Commissioner Matt Beebe, a member of the council, is frustrated so few lawmakers and residents have attended the many meetings held to discuss the air quality plan.

He's stepped up to support the plan along with other county and city leaders.

"We need the same kind of backbone in the Legislature," Beebe said.

crazy hippies in ada county....buggin' 2Cers into emissions testing...no way boise will ever have air like phoenix or la...

oh wait...we're always under a yellow (moderate) air quality rating. this index was probably developed by hippies and environmental whackos.

bike content...when the air quality is bad, it's not good to be outside exercising.

idaho..the reddest of the red states! (didn't our newly elected gov. just say that....awesome!)
    Last edited by garnetspur; 02-06-2007 at 08:34 AM.

Hi!!!
    I'm just gonna ramble aimlessly here....

BelaySlave is a......
    * Longtime resident of the 2C.
    * May '96 grad of BSU.
    * Commuter into downtown 1A since ~1999.

The reason I started out with that is to show that I "live" in both counties.

It'd be interesting to see if the Idaho Transportation Department (or maybe DEQ) had yearly data on the number of commuters into 1A that came from 2C, 1G, 2O, W, E, 6B. From my observation (as well as many others), 2C'ers lead the pack. But what % of those commuters make up the total number of commuters in the valley? Since I've been making the commute for so damn long and have witnessed the growth of the valley, I'd have to say that us 2C'ers make up a pretty good portion of that number.

For the 1A'ers that do get emission tests...where does that fee go to? While I do look at a potential emission test fee as another "tax", if that $ was going to some greater good, I'm all in favor of us 2C'ers paying it on a yearly basis.

Looking at ITD data...in 2005 there were over 304,000 registered vehicles in 1A and for 2C it was over 161,000 (roughly 1/3 of the vehicles in both counties). So would it be safe to assume that 2C'ers contribute about 1/3 of the pollution in the valley?

FWIW...I think pollution in this valley is EVERYONE'S problem and it should not be determined by where you live or what you drive or your political affiliation.

mtbr member
    it's not just 2Cers commuting into 1A everyday. the air does not care about the county line..it's the same valley. (and the inversions are usually much worse out in 2C from my experience)

it's a $15 fee in ada county. not that much money (to some)...but why does it cost that much??

guess a chunk goes to the businesses that run the red vans. some to pay for the equipment (or do the businesses pay for the equipment). and some goes to DEQ. still seems kinda high for the 5 minutes it takes to run the test.

i'd like to know more about the levels of emissions that are acceptable.

if your car's emissions are "high" that adds a fee to get the problem fixed.

this whole thing is not a money maker though...it's not a tax to fund roads, or environmental projects...i wouldn't think.

people would freak out if they had to have vehicle inspections. they dropped vehicle inspections in my home state years ago. i think they still do them in NC. but, if you had brake light out..or head light..blinker...bad tires...or vehicle damage..the inspector could require you to make costly repairs to have your vehicle on the road legally.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    It's those 2C drivers that are responsible for global warming. It's a scientifically proven fact. But it'll be too expensive to curb their emmissions. Besides, they'd have to trade in their life-sized Hot Wheels trucks from Toyota Priuses which means they'll have to loose a whole lotta weight to fit in em. As for paying for their emmissions, our children and our children's children can pay for it later when they're making the big bucks schlepping Vagisil at WalMart
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    I have been involved in the auto industry for a long time- including the high performance aftermarket side of things; along with being a CA transplant. I would love to see some kind of emmsions testing, and saftey inspections for more of the valley. What Ada county has for testing does not even compare with what goes on in most states, but is a large step above the current 2C testing. Just the amount of old junkers that would need to be repaired/replaced would significantly affect the air quality in the valley, not to mention the added work it would bring to locals also. $15 for a smog test is nothing compared to the $65-85 fee that is currently needed in CA; and I would gladly pay the fee to know that there is going to be less polutants on the road.

Hi!!!
    Lets say I did live in the 1A and my vehicles did not pass an emissions test. What are the consequences?

BTW jarrod --- great work done on the Focus a couple of weekends ago!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Lets say I did live in the 1A and my vehicles did not pass an emissions test. What are the consequences?
    You either have to pass, or show that you spent $200 attempting to pass. They will allow multiple extensions, but if you still can't pass and don't have $200 in emissions recepts then you lose your registration.

It is really a very lenient system compared to most others. I think everyone in the valley needs to meet the same standards.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Vmt

Emissions from vehicles is based on vehicle miles traveled (VMT). Emissions from a car driving a 60 mile commute is different than a car that has 15 mile commute. A comparison of VMT values and auto age would give you a more accurate indication of emissions (aka pollutant) from each county.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Do
    You either have to pass, or show that you spent $200 attempting to pass. They will allow multiple extensions, but if you still can't pass and don't have $200 in emissions recepts then you lose your registration.

It is really a very lenient system compared to most others. I think everyone in the valley needs to meet the same standards.
    That's very lenient. IMO, gross polluters should be pulled of the road if they are not made to pass emissions.

If I had a tank of poison in my backyard and it were dripping into my neighbor's ground water, should I tell my neighbor, "it costs too much for me to fix it, so you should live with it"? I hope that I'd choose to fix it, and the air that we all breath is no different from the water we drink.. Autos require maintenance. If you buy one, you need to maintain it.

The valley is relatively easy to get around on by bike, and bikes are relatively low polluters. Live to ride, ride to work.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Members who have read this thread: 0