4 days in whitefish- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

4 days in whitefish

Heading to Whitefish for 4 days Saturday with the wifey.

Any intel on what trails to hit and what is open/clear of snow?

Guessing the amazing stuff like alpine south of town is under snow still.

cheers.
    Last edited by sketchbook; 06-08-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Depends on what type of riding you want to do.

Reid Divide is close to town, and is a great ride that ends at Tally lake.
    Spencer is also very close and very fun, but totally different.
    One of my favorites is the Blacktail to Lakeside ride south of WF. Slog up a dirt road to the top, them bomb almost 3000' down. I haven't down Blacktail to Herron, but that looks fun too.
    The Whitefish Trail is easy XC fun very close to town

Most of my rides in the Flathead involve my poor wife dropping me off at the top of a mounatin and me bombing down.....

Beardance/Philips Trail is a good loop too.

Can't really go wrong. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Depends on what type of riding you want to do.

Reid Divide is close to town, and is a great ride that ends at Tally lake.
    Spencer is also very close and very fun, but totally different.
    One of my favorites is the Blacktail to Lakeside ride south of WF. Slog up a dirt road to the top, them bomb almost 3000' down. I haven't down Blacktail to Herron, but that looks fun too.
    The Whitefish Trail is easy XC fun very close to town

Most of my rides in the Flathead involve my poor wife dropping me off at the top of a mounatin and me bombing down.....

Beardance/Philips Trail is a good loop too.

Can't really go wrong. Enjoy.
    How's the dispersed camping off the road to Blacktail? Is it super busy being so close to Kalispell? I might hit Blacktail-Lakeside on the way to Whitefish. Looks like fun.

It's pretty remote once you get past the few houses at the bottom.. I imagine you could camp along the road, but no, it not busy even being kinda close to Kalispell. And FWIW, I ride just about everyday when I'm up for about two weeks, and I rarely, rarely see other bikers. It's just big with so many options. There's a state park south towards Rollins if that's more your style.

Also Rockman, I'll be up on or near the 6th to about the 20th if you want to do any rides, just PM me.....

mtbr member
    It's pretty remote once you get past the few houses at the bottom.. I imagine you could camp along the road, but no, it not busy even being kinda close to Kalispell. And FWIW, I ride just about everyday when I'm up for about two weeks, and I rarely, rarely see other bikers. It's just big with so many options. There's a state park south towards Rollins if that's more your style.
    We like dispersed camping and meeting the prime directive but campgrounds do make it easy to get in/get out. I plan all vacations around bike rides but the level of enthusiasm for said riding varies.

Also Rockman, I'll be up on or near the 6th to about the 20th if you want to do any rides, just PM me.....
    We'll be in the area the 7th and 8th. I'll for sure hit you up if it looks like I've got a fun card to play. Shooting for Fernie on the 9th.

Fernie. What a place. There you will find awesome free camping, and possibly some of the best riding anywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'd like to piggy back off of this thread if you don't mind, rather than start a new one. I'll be in Kalispell from approximately the 1st of July through the 10th. I'll be bringing my bike and hope to get some riding in.

I've got a ton of family and friends in the area (I'm from Kalispell) so I can't ride everyday... BUT I'll have one, maybe two days for longer rides, but lot's of mornings or afternoons where I could squeeze in a short 1-2 hour ride.

The last time I rode a mountain bike in the valley was my senior year in HS (20 years ago). Back then I rode loan pine, Heron park and what is now called "Pig Farms" as well as trails like Lupine lake and Strawberry lake.

I will be staying at a friends house right across from Lone pine so that's an easy quick ride in the morning. That also means pig farms is fairly close, but I have no idea what fun loops would be at either place, and don't have a ton of exploring time as I will be squeezing rides in between visiting friends, family etc.

I do have trailforks, so if you guys can tell me trail names and how to run them, I can figure it out. Some short loops (1 hour) and medium loops (2ish hours) would be awesome.

Also, are trails like Lupine and Strawberry still fun on a bike?

I was also considering having my wife drop me off at the top of Bill Creek (#800) and then riding that to Ried Divide BUT maybe dropping in on Boney Gultch and having my wife pick me up down there. Would that be a fun ride? Is that worth it? How long would that take? It appears it would be mostly downhill?

Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT: I like fun trails, as in technical, playful, jibby, rocky, sketchy, down or up and down. I don't like slow meandering XC rides, though I am most willing to earn my turns if the DH portion is fast and flowy or techy. The bike I'm bringing is 150mm front and 114mm rear, so keep in mind it's definitely not a squishy DH bike.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

I haven't done Boney Gulch or Bill Creek, but those both look fun too. Hard to beat a swim in Tally lake at the end of either of those.

I would do Beardance as a loop although it might take more than 1-2 hours. You could park on the Flathead lake side, ride up to Philips, out to the FS road and the descend Beardance. That would be a good day. I've found that anything that is a "loop" is usually grinding a FS road to the top and then bombing back down. Hopefully some locals can put in their 2cents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would assume that the highest trails are still partially blocked.
    There are dispersed camping options outside the valley floor in most directions, it probably depends on necessary footprint. It sounds like campgrounds are the busiest that they have ever been this year. Ashley Divide loop and Desert mountain loop would also be good options for some downhill where a shuttle can lessen the time and effort.

For the gentleman who moved away 20 yrs ago, check out spencer mtn and the trails at the ski hill.

I haven't done Boney Gulch or Bill Creek, but those both look fun too. Hard to beat a swim in Tally lake at the end of either of those.

I would do Beardance as a loop although it might take more than 1-2 hours. You could park on the Flathead lake side, ride up to Philips, out to the FS road and the descend Beardance. That would be a good day. I've found that anything that is a "loop" is usually grinding a FS road to the top and then bombing back down. Hopefully some locals can put in their 2cents.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I just got back from three days at the Whitefish Bike Retreat. As much as I loved dispered camping, this place can't be beat. It's got direct access to the Whitefish Trail, close to Spencer and Tally Lake systems, a bike wash stand in every campsite, hot showers, skills park, pump track....

We rode Reid Divide sat as a shuttle. Fantastic. Easy singletrack, high mountain but it hasn't been brushed in years so watch out for leaves, branches and sticks. Last year we did Bill as a shuttle and that was fun too... shorter but a little more rooty, open, technical.

Personally I think Spencer is overrated but it's nice for a change or a quick afternoon play sessions. I've got Beacon here which may have me spoiled.

The bike park is tons of fun. Not a huge variety of trails but you can pick flow or tech and the views can't be beat.

The Whitefish Trail is a really fun system. I'd call it beginner-mediate at most. The grades are very low angle, lots of twisty turny spots, not much tech. It would be very family or beginner friendly. If you are a more experienced rider you can really hammer on those trails and cover a lot of ground.

Re snow- saw none up on Reid Divide and just a little tiny bit in some shady spots on the N side of the bike park (Runaway Train area)

Don't worry, be happy!
    oops OP was 3 weeks ago.

Agreed that the WFBR is pretty cool. Hopefully the OP got some good riding in, there was a few more tagged on. Big Mountain is great too. Runaway Train is my favorite. Really, really tough to go wrong.

mtbr member
    Guess I'll just continue to add to this thread but I can confirm there is not much in the way of dispersed camping off the road to Blacktail. But yowza that's a fun downhill. Had a blast with the kids at the Whitefish bike park. Now in Fernie where the camping is good and the trails better.

Ah! I just did Lakeside to Blacktail today! For some unknown reason, I decided to ride up from the trail head instead of getting dumped at the top. But I bet if you did it a few times, you would have to pedal at all in 3000' of ripping descent.

The bike park is fun!

Fernie is just plain other worldly especially for us Arizonans

Try Hyperventilation followed by Hyperextension. Good times.

mtbr member
    Are you still around? We are doing a big ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Ressurecting this thread yet again. I'll be in Kalispell this summer July 8-15. Any group rides in the area?

Also looking for ride suggestions for:

1. 2-3 hours. Anything from fast and flowy to rough and chunky. I'll happily ride whatever and am not afraid of big climbs.

2. Family rides. I have an adventurous 10 year old and my wife likes to ride the flowy easy trails.

Any help is appreciated in addition to what has already been posted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi Neil
    Are you staying in Kalispell proper?
    Where are you from? In this area early morning even in summer can be pretty cool so you might want more than shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

There is a ton of riding in the valley and surrounding regions.
    Near to kalispell are the small trail systems at Herron Park and Lone pine state park a bit farther and larger is pig farms
    Still further afield but under a half hour drive is the big mountain trail system, Haskell basin, the whitefish trails, spencer mtn and most of the tally lake ranger district trails.

The earlier post describe a few of these, a note worthy addition from 2017 is the addition of the Blacktail to Foys lake trail which for being new is more old school and is the most truly ridge top trail i have seen in a while.

Most of the point a to b trails in the region can be ridden as a loop usually using some forestry rds.

For shop support or trail beta
    In Kalispell - wheatons cyclery https://www.wheatonscycle.com
    In Whitefish - Glacier cyclery https://www.glaciercyclery.com/area-trails/
    or the bike retreat Whitefish - Whitefish Bike Retreat

i do not know if Wheatons has any shop rides
    Glacier i believe does but best to ask
    Flathead fat tires is the biggest club n the area Local Trails - Flathead Area Mountain Bikers - Preserving and advancing mountain bike activities in the Flathead Valley

Trail forks gives an ok over view of the area as well

Given your questions i'll throw out-

1. Bill Creek and desert mountain- both fun loops with USFS rd climbs to the start.

2 the whitefish trail system- A gradually growing system of machine made trail that will encircle whitefish lake and connect some other small trail systems, some areas are more heavily used especially the area near lion mountain. I would drive to the beaver lakes trail head or woods lake instead. The area accessed from the swift creek trail head would also be good for a younger rider.

2a Pig farm is quite fun endnote difficult but is more old school and unsigned- use your phone's gps unless you are ok with maybe being out a little longer than you planned.

hope this helps
    Feel free to PM me if you want

also KNTR on this forum is also local and he probably is a better reference source for kalispell and south.

never met him but he seems to be a good guy

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Ressurecting this thread yet again. I'll be in Kalispell this summer July 8-15. Any group rides in the area?

1. 2-3 hours. Anything from fast and flowy to rough and chunky. I'll happily ride whatever and am not afraid of big climbs.

2. Family rides. I have an adventurous 10 year old and my wife likes to ride the flowy easy trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    Hi Neil
    Are you staying in Kalispell proper?
    Where are you from? In this area early morning even in summer can be pretty cool so you might want more than shorts and a short sleeve jersey.....Bill
    This does help a lot. Thanks!

We are staying just outside of Kalispell. I'm from Northern Utah and tend to get out for the sunrise often, so I'm used to the cool temperatures in the morning. I look forward to this trip. Sounds like there's lots of good options.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I'll be practicing at Whitefish Mtn on the 14th, if you happen to go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member

Thumbs up for Herron Park. We hit that on our way out of town last summer and I was pleasantly surprised. Some of the trails there are stellar, and there was work in progress adding more. We did end up on some double-track for sections because we were finding our way around, but we left what looked to be good options on the table (next time!). We also did Pig Farm for the first time which ended up being different than I expected. Some of it was really cool and some was so-so. Definitely an area to allow time to explore and get lost. I wouldn't try it without Trailforks. The Whitefish trail is a good long day ride. Not too technical, but the amount of pedaling can add up to a reasonably good challenge.

Practicing for the MES?
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Practicing for the MES?
    Me? yep!

Nice. I did the Pescado last time they had it...2016. Fun times. Probably see you there! Iím on a blue Guerrilla Gravity

mtbr member
    Oh man. There is a lot here. Herron, Lone Pine, and Pig Farms are all easy short trails. If you want adventure or epic DH you have to get into the alpine trails.

There are some shuttle trails like Reid Divide, Beardance and Phillips but the shuttles are long.

Message me and I can show you around or call me and Ill give you some info. I know this area well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Oh man. There is a lot here. Herron, Lone Pine, and Pig Farms are all easy short trails. If you want adventure or epic DH you have to get into the alpine trails.

There are some shuttle trails like Reid Divide, Beardance and Phillips but the shuttles are long.

Message me and I can show you around or call me and Ill give you some info. I know this area well.
    Awesome! I love riding with locals when possible. I'm not an uber-gnar shredder by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love chunky techy trails, and don't mind long nasty climbs either, if the payoff is good.

I should have time that week for two solid rides in the 2-3 hour range. Then I'll take my boys and wife out a couple times on the easier stuff.

@kntr , I'll definitely hit you up as the time gets closer if you're cool showing me around. If nothing else, I'll just pick your brain and have you point me in the right direction.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Nice. I did the Pescado last time they had it...2016. Fun times. Probably see you there! Iím on a blue Guerrilla Gravity
    Sweet! I'll be on a grey Nukeproof Mega.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey Neil,
    if you get creative you could get another longer ride or two by riding with your family then riding back to town while they drive (or send them to sweet peaks for killer ice cream)

For example ride together at woods lake or beaver lakes then you ride back to town while they get ice cream or go swimming in whitefish lake

A similar plan would also work well from the trails up at big mtn

Or you could ride from town to beaver lakes , ride with your family then ride around the lake and meet them to swim at Les mason park (limits paved riding)

There are also alternate activities at the Whitefish Bike retreat, Big mountain and in town that would help create a win/win

Just a thought

I am gone most of that week but might be able to join on the weekend

Feel free to PM for addl info

Awesome! I love riding with locals when possible. I'm not an uber-gnar shredder by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love chunky techy trails, and don't mind long nasty climbs either, if the payoff is good.

I should have time that week for two solid rides in the 2-3 hour range. Then I'll take my boys and wife out a couple times on the easier stuff.

@kntr , I'll definitely hit you up as the time gets closer if you're cool showing me around. If nothing else, I'll just pick your brain and have you point me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Going to slide into this thread, as I am looking for some wife friendly trails in the whitefish/Kalispell area.

Wife wife enjoys biking, just not prolonged climbs. I think she could do 20 miles or so.

Recommendations.

I seem to recall the whitefish trail - red lion( I think) as being smooth with some climbing. I also recall riding near the whitefish bike retreat and there being a climb to start but then more undulating.

Thanks
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

Don't worry, be happy!
    if you get a chance, ride the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP. It should be closed to cars for a couple more weekend. Not really mountain biking, but definitely a bucket list type ride on a sunny day. I saw everything from tandems and triple crown fork mountain bikes to folding bikes, huffys, 10K road bikes. It was amazing, and no cars FTW.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Whitefish Trail is great for a ride where someone is less aggressive or prefers shorter climbs, but still fun for everyone - and that's the trail you hit from the Whitefish Bike Retreat (which is awesome). If the Going to the Sun road is in that brief period where it's open for bikes but not for cars it is definitely a bucket list item - and mountain bikes are great on it, there's really no need for a road bike - there's enough tight wet corners and debris that fatter tires are pretty nice on the way down.

mtbr member
    Are there any maps showing the trails and trail system mentioned in this thread?

My wife is running the Glacier 1/2 Marathon next Saturday so we're camping in Browning the night before then moving to Fish Creek campground inside GNP for a night or two, then over towards Big Mountain / Kalispell for a couple nights of camping / riding.

We need to figure out places to ride, preferably from our campsite - wherever that ends up being.

If you want to ride from camp, I would check out Whitefish Bike Retreat. You can ride from your camp spot and they have a bunch of extra amenities as well.

Trail forks is your friend. I ride up there every summer and would be pretty well lost with out it.

There is so much trail there, it all depends on what kind of riding you like to do.

mtbr member
    If you want to ride from camp, I would check out Whitefish Bike Retreat. You can ride from your camp spot and they have a bunch of extra amenities as well.

Trail forks is your friend. I ride up there every summer and would be pretty well lost with out it.

There is so much trail there, it all depends on what kind of riding you like to do.
    The Retreat looks intriguing. Thanks for the tip!

We're into technical XC rides between 10 and 40 miles long. The Whitefish Trail sounds a bit tame for us but, along with the skills park etc., I think we would have plenty of fun. How many days do you think one could ride at the Retreat without getting bored?

I'm thinking we'll spend 2 full days in the park hiking and riding GTS road, then head to Whitefish Mtn for a full day, then spend that night and the next at the Retreat.

The whitefish trail is very beginner, but it is a well done system worth exploring. If you are looking for longer and more technical XC, then Alpine #7 is a bucket list trail. Most folks usually do it as a shuttle. The WMR folks could probably accommodate that or at least give you beta on which part to ride. I really like the Blacktail to Foys trail, but I've only done it point to point never just an OAB which I suppose would be great too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Blacktail to foys can be done as a loop riding from Herron park se towards the valley then up Patrick creek rd to a junction with the trail- best to get some detailed beta from Wheatons as there are a couple of road junctions up there.

From fish creek its not horribly far to ride to the desert mountain loop - you will actually pass the green gate riding area on the way- never ridden there but it was made famous a year or two ago when a cyclist was killed after colliding with a grizzly. Info on Desert man from trail forks, Glacier cyclery or the bike retreat.

A wonderful dirt rd ride is the inside north fork rd which has its middle section closed to cars due to erosion and a missing bridge- super pretty - i kinda doubt you could safely cross anaconda creek this early in the year but its would be a great out and back to look for wildlife- its basically right at the campground.

I would think its too early for alpine 7 but a great loop is called Reid creek- essentially a combination of the best part of Bill Creek and reid Divide rides and a 7 or so mile peddle on a logging road. Ask at the retreat or Glacier cyclery

mtbr member
    My trip is coming up next week. I'm getting pretty stoked. If anybody wants to ride, post here or shoot me a PM.

-Neil-

mtbr member
    OH yeah, one more question...Does anybody have any recommendations for stuff to do that doesn't include bikes? Family stuff. Cool hikes, fun pools, etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be outdoor-centric. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Murray Lake is a nice undeveloped swimming lake. Also, the Whitefish Bike retreat has its own small, but really well built network of trails - there's a fee to use them if you're not staying there but good 10 year old bikers have a riot just doing laps on the flowy trails and skills area while parents sit and have a beer watching kids go by every few minutes. More has been added since this video was shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBJN4Comeq8

There's a great weekly market downtown in Whitefish with entertainment, food etc. I think it's on Tuesdays.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    how far can your kids hike? a personal summer favorite (to avoid crowds) would be huckleberry lookout. This trail is 6.5 miles one way and 3000+ ft of gain so it is not short but the grade is even. It has some great 360 degree views and is not a very popular trail. Too you can and should access it of the north fork road bypassing the entrance stations so you have little delay. If you want to drive the going to the sun road consider doing it after dinner, far less people, better chance at seeing wildlife and often super pretty as the sun lowers. at those hours even the hike to hidden lake becomes a lot more pleasant.

The 10 lakes area nearer to eureka is quite pretty and less traveled.

There are many lakes for swimming and boating. Most have public access.
    There are multiple options for boat rental big and small
    Horseback riding
    There is a seaplane company doing tours (just flew over my head as i type)

Skydiving in whitefish and lost prairie

Sweet peaks ice cream

Farmers markets for live music and food trucks

Wildhorse island on Flathead lake is quite nice, surprisingly rugged and a state park where the world record big horn sheep lived

If cherry season starts early you could self pick- they are really tasty

OH yeah, one more question...Does anybody have any recommendations for stuff to do that doesn't include bikes? Family stuff. Cool hikes, fun pools, etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be outdoor-centric. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you are going to swim in the smaller and warmer lakes like murray be sure to towel off as swimmers itch is present in some when the water warms up- if its chilly then no worries, some lakes top out at high 60's or maybe 70 and colder and they do not have this issue.

The farmer market in Whitefish is tuesdays from 5-730 and is quite busy, parking can be an issue.
    The C falls market is thursdays and is maybe 10-20 percent the size but i like it better
    Kalispell is saturday mornings

I highly recommend the bike retreat as well

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Murray Lake is a nice undeveloped swimming lake. Also, the Whitefish Bike retreat has its own small, but really well built network of trails - there's a fee to use them if you're not staying there but good 10 year old bikers have a riot just doing laps on the flowy trails and skills area while parents sit and have a beer watching kids go by every few minutes. More has been added since this video was shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBJN4Comeq8

There's a great weekly market downtown in Whitefish with entertainment, food etc. I think it's on Tuesdays.

Didnít make the MES, but managed to ride the new Haskill section of the Whitefish Trail and it was a blast! Very well crafted. I climbed up to Big Mountain road from the reservoir parking lot. Very fun on the way back down.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the slow report back. I ended up just riding a bunch in the Herron Park area both with my family and solo. That's very good stuff....mostly.

I ended up riding up Notch - Boundary - Chase (which was all very good and nice climbing). THen I started out on FTBT trail which is super fun. DUe to time constraints I had to get back to teh parking lot, so I dropped down "Blacktail to Herron". It was awful. Often teh trail was barely discernable and it looked like nobody had ridden it in a long time. Most of it was just a super overgrown jeep road. I really wish I had just gone back down the way I came up.

The second ride I was able to do solo was a bit better. I started out the same but ended up going farther on FTBT and dropped down Patrick to Herron. Still very narrow and overgrown, but it was singletrack and pretty entertaining. I really regret not having the time and the shuttle to ride all the way out to Blacktail and then bail down "Lakeside to Blacktail"

I rode the Whitefish Bike Retreat with my family. That was super cool. I would definitely do that again.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Let me know if you're in extreme northern Utah and want a trail guide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i am surprised that the Patrick to herron section was so grown in, that trail was only built last year, i rode it in september and don't remember issues. There were parts that were obviously machine made? right? I only ask because there are a bunch of older trails up there and the new section seems to be fairly popular.

Anyway,
    glad you had fun

Sorry for the slow report back. I ended up just riding a bunch in the Herron Park area both with my family and solo. That's very good stuff....mostly.

I ended up riding up Notch - Boundary - Chase (which was all very good and nice climbing). THen I started out on FTBT trail which is super fun. DUe to time constraints I had to get back to teh parking lot, so I dropped down "Blacktail to Herron". It was awful. Often teh trail was barely discernable and it looked like nobody had ridden it in a long time. Most of it was just a super overgrown jeep road. I really wish I had just gone back down the way I came up.

The second ride I was able to do solo was a bit better. I started out the same but ended up going farther on FTBT and dropped down Patrick to Herron. Still very narrow and overgrown, but it was singletrack and pretty entertaining. I really regret not having the time and the shuttle to ride all the way out to Blacktail and then bail down "Lakeside to Blacktail"

I rode the Whitefish Bike Retreat with my family. That was super cool. I would definitely do that again.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Let me know if you're in extreme northern Utah and want a trail guide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just arrived in whitefish last night. Here for the week. Planning to do some lift laps as well as explore the surrounding trails. If anyone local wants to ride let me know. I live in Park City, Utah and would be happy to return the favor!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    you missed the free entertainment yesterday, they were dipping from the snowmaking ponds at Big Mtn for use on a nearby fire, nothing like a KMAX up close

Quote Originally Posted by labeda14 View Post
    Just arrived in whitefish last night. Here for the week. Planning to do some lift laps as well as explore the surrounding trails. If anyone local wants to ride let me know. I live in Park City, Utah and would be happy to return the favor!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    you missed the free entertainment yesterday, they were dipping from the snowmaking ponds at Big Mtn for use on a nearby fire, nothing like a KMAX up close
    Dam...I figured something had to be going on close...pretty smokey :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah, according to the epa, this morning we had the worst air in the country.

If you look on Inciweb you will see that they are all around us- and that only shows the larger ones. Too, we are getting smoke from the west coast fires and BC!

Generally its worst in the early am then will lift out somewhat. There are good websites showing the PM2.5 level hourly.

Wish i had a good, quick, simple answer for you but if you stay flexible and watch the webcams in the area sometimes you can find better areas.

This morning was the worst this year and hopefully with the more progressive weather pattern coming the air will at least get back to moderate levels

Fire away with questions if you want

Quote Originally Posted by labeda14 View Post
    Dam...I figured something had to be going on close...pretty smokey :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Labeda,

when this rain stops later today get after it. the trails will be tacky and air cleaner, its been raining more to the north of town so trails at the mountain, ha skills, and swift creek/north beaver areas will be the best.

yeah, according to the epa, this morning we had the worst air in the country.

If you look on Inciweb you will see that they are all around us- and that only shows the larger ones. Too, we are getting smoke from the west coast fires and BC!

Generally its worst in the early am then will lift out somewhat. There are good websites showing the PM2.5 level hourly.

Wish i had a good, quick, simple answer for you but if you stay flexible and watch the webcams in the area sometimes you can find better areas.

This morning was the worst this year and hopefully with the more progressive weather pattern coming the air will at least get back to moderate levels

Fire away with questions if you want

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Labeda,

when this rain stops later today get after it. the trails will be tacky and air cleaner, its been raining more to the north of town so trails at the mountain, ha skills, and swift creek/north beaver areas will be the best.
    Thanks! that was the plan