4.5 days in Teton Valley- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

4.5 days in Teton Valley

Packing to head up to Teton Valley for 3-4 riding days and looking for some suggestions. I've been combing the forum and tetonmtb, but still be nice to have more direct info.

Planning on doing a day riding at Grand Targhee. Some XC and some lift, possibly do a longer XC ride one day and full resort day. We'll see.

XC: Mill Ck-38 special-ain't life grand-peaked, more....back down Mill.

Is a better option to start at resort and go up Andys and down Action Jackson or similar?

A day off Teton Pass. Willing to hitch, but would also like to pedal a good bit. Jimmy's Mom, Fuzzy Bunny, etc. What would be nice loop ride with my girlfriend who likes tech, but isn't up for something like Fuzzy? Sounds like she'd enjoy Jimmy's with ride arounds, but what are some more classic, natural not feature heavy rides?

What other good loops are in the area to put together? Techy descent, big views, a good few hours out riding, and all the other good stuff. We don't mind the climbing if the reward is worth it.

I know there is dispersed camping around Shadow Peak, anything closer to Teton Pass or Victor/Driggs? Generally cool to leave camp set up while gone for the day assuming we take all trash and food with us?

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    XC: Mill Ck-38 special-ain't life grand-peaked, more....back down Mill.

Is a better option to start at resort and go up Andys and down Action Jackson or similar?
    Just depends on how much climbing you want to do. From the bottom of Mill Cr. to the top of Peaked is a stout climb, but totally do-able if you're in good XC shape (but don't underestimate the altitude if you're coming from somewhere a lot lower).

Andy's > Peaked > Ain't Life Grand > 38 Special > Rocky Mtn. Way > Action Jackson is also a great loop with no shortage of climbing. You can also throw Buffalo Soldier in there to make it a little longer if you want as well.

Either option offers lots of great views.

What other good loops are in the area to put together? Techy descent, big views, a good few hours out riding, and all the other good stuff. We don't mind the climbing if the reward is worth it.
    Check out Grove Cr. > Drake Cr. You can also add Spooky/Red Cr. into that loop for a longer ride. You'll find the route info on MTB Project - it's on the south end of the Big Holes.

I know there is dispersed camping around Shadow Peak, anything closer to Teton Pass or Victor/Driggs? Generally cool to leave camp set up while gone for the day assuming we take all trash and food with us?
    Mike Harris campground at the bottom of Teton Pass on the Victor side is a small, generally quiet FS campground. Good striking distance to lots of different stuff - Targhee, the Pass, Big Holes...and Grand Teton Brewery.
    Last edited by Smithhammer; 08-19-2016 at 03:06 PM.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think the classic Targhee ride is the Mill Creek Peaked loop you're contemplating, but it is a big climb. Good dispersed camping in Teton Canyon near the Mill Creek trail
    head as well.

Arrow to Phillips ridge is the pedally, sometimes techy ride it sounds like you're looking for on the Pass.

Another good Teton Valley loop is Mail Cabin to Mike Sell. Have to connect via the road, but it gets you up on a high ridge with great views of the Palisades, and ends with a long, steep, challenging downhill. South Fork of Horseshoe to Mahogany is another great backcountry ride.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Targhee is incredible for riding and it's super easy to put together a long XC loop. Check out the Pierre's Hole race course if you want a good 30 mile loop that covers most of the awesome single track (it descends part of Mill Creek and climbs back up on the road for about 2 miles).

Pierre's Hole 50/100 Bike Race - Grand Targhee Resort

Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome, thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    I spent a week in Driggs a couple weeks ago. Some X/C recommendations:

The classic Grand Targhee loop is not to be missed. However, I'm guessing that More Cowbell is still closed due to ski lift construction. Even with cutting out the More Cowbell-Permagrin loop, it's still an awesome ride. Our route was about 26 miles with 3,300 feet of climbing. It went like this: Up Action Jackson-Buffalo Soldier counter-clockwise-last bit of Andy's-down Coulter's Escape-up 38 Special-Peaked to Ain't Life Grand, which we did counter-clockwise-down Peaked-down Andy's back to the base-Pika Traverse-Rick's Basin-Quakie Ridge-Northwoods loop clockwise from 2nd entrance-Quakie Ridge-Rick's Basin-Snowdrift Loop counter-clockwise-Rick's Basin-Pika Traverse back to the base.

One day we rode up Mill Creek to Targhee with intentions of doing 38 special, etc. However, we got caught out in a nasty storm with lightning, rain and big hail. We waited it out in the lunch tent at the bottom of Coulter's Escape, and when we got a window, we bolted back down Mill Creek just in time before the next wave of storms moved through. If you're going to do the Grand Targhee loop, I'd say you can skip the Mill Creek approach. It is a nice trail if you want to do a short out-and-back one day.

As mentioned above, Arrow to Phillips Ridge is a great ride on the Teton Pass. We did it as a loop, starting from the Stagecoach Bar at the bottom of the pass in Wilson. Ended up being around 19 miles with 2,400 feet of climbing. You get an incredible amount of descending for what feels like relatively easy climbing. Our route: Up the Old Pass Road bike path to Phillip's Connector Trail-cross highway-take Arrow Trail to Phillip's Ridge Trail-Phillip's Ridge eventually intersects with Phillip's Canyon Trail, which you take out to Fish Creek Road-hang a right on Fish Creek Road and take it back to town-a right on Main Street and a left on West Street gets you back to the Stagecoach Bar. Plenty of moderate tech here with the current conditions. I think it's better call than doing the downhill flow trails off the pass.

I also enjoyed the Lower Horseshoe Canyon Loop, which was around 14 miles with 2,100 feet of climbing. Nice to ride some more primitive type trail after all the groomed stuff out at Grand Targhee. Our route: Bovine-Shark's Belly-Probation-Burgh-Bumper-Cody's-Sodbuster-Southbound-Channel Lock. There are some neat trail features here and there - ladder bridges, skinny rolls, jumps, etc.

Have a fun trip!