Which 29er do you guys like?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Which 29er do you guys like?

My TranceX is for sale and I'm ordering me a late Xmas present now
    A 29r hardtail tomorrow from Ryan at his shop in Bown Crossing.

Two Jamis's one Steel Dragon. I'm leaning toward the steel. What do you think?

My only thing is, I've had hardtails before - steel, aluminum and Ti. I didn't notice much of a difference except for the Ellsworth Sub22 I used to have - that thing was jarring on anything less than smooth. Other that your thoughts? I like both these bikes and am leaning towards the steel!

MSRP's are $1100 the Exile II and $1150 the Dragon Sport.
    I like the spec better the Dragon including the SRAM X7's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which 29er do you guys like?-11_dragon29sport.jpg  

Which 29er do you guys like?-11_exile2_or.jpg  

Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    http://www.somafab.com/juice29.html

Tange Prestige the good stuff!

rth009
    May 2010

mtbr member
    To me a HT is perfect for the foothills. There are only a few trails where a FS is needed, so a FS rider is always looking for a harder ride. Where as a HT or rigid bike will keep you happy on the trails that we've got.

Of the two bikes you show, I prefer the steel option. It's made from Reynolds 853 which is a really nice tube set. But I'm biased toward steel.

P.S. Hope that you had a great X-mas!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Answer

The one that is custom

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

I have had ti, steel,carbon and aluminum hardtails over the years. carbon is the
    least jarring and best power to the ground for me.

mtbr member
    steel

mtbr platinum member
    Don't kid yourself into thinking that having 29 inch wheel hardtail will somehow feel like/compare to a 26 inch full suspension bike. A hardtail is still a hardtail regardless of wheel size. When you ride into a small curb it will still transmit the bump straight into your spine. The larger wheels will not magically erase the bumps (still be jarring regardless of frame material) or do you a damn bit of good when you land on the ground after hitting a R2R 4-foot waterbar.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    Don't kid yourself into thinking that having 29 inch wheel hardtail will somehow feel like/compare to a 26 inch full suspension bike. A hardtail is still a hardtail regardless of wheel size. When you ride into a small curb it will still transmit the bump straight into your spine. The larger wheels will not magically erase the bumps (still be jarring regardless of frame material) or do you a damn bit of good when you land on the ground after hitting a R2R 4-foot waterbar.
    Points taken but the majority of trails around here are more fun on a steel rigid HT than a full suspension bike IMO . Sometimes less is more!

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
    Points taken but the majority of trails around here are more fun on a steel rigid HT than a full suspension bike IMO . Sometimes less is more!
    I'm glad that's fun for you. Not necessarily for everyone though. Whatever floats your boat.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    it's cool to have different bikes. riding is fun - regardless

bike me, then beer me

Go for the....

...steel !! I'm not sure what shock is spec'd with that but invest there...I think its a RS Reba which is a good one, go up from there.

big wheels, big way

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Those little wheels that everyone used to ride - that, and suspension and aluminum and/or carbon and/or titanium is so old school. Archaic. Neanderthal. El primativo. It's like wearing sweatpants to the coffee shop. It's like saying "I give up".
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Get the bike you like, not the one we like.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Surprised to see a steel and aluminum frame bike with similar specs for about the same price.

I have three steel bikes and love steel. Especially on my road bikes. I bought a NOS 2008 Dakota 29r from Ryan late last spring. The steel 29r was still drawing a hefty premium. It looks like the Sport (520) does not have the same frame as the Race (853). I ended up with the same fork as the Dragon on my aluminum bike and think that probably makes a bigger difference than the frame material. I still would have bought the steel if it had not been twice as expensive.

As Visicypher says ride the one you like. Which one turns you on?
    '08 Jamis Dakota 29er
    '92 Hardrock Commuter

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

here is another brand not seen much around these parts
    http://www.ktm-bikes.at/de/mountain/...u/Race1029.php

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    My TranceX is for sale and I'm ordering me a late Xmas present now
    A 29r hardtail tomorrow from Ryan at his shop in Bown Crossing.

Two Jamis's one Steel Dragon. I'm leaning toward the steel. What do you think?

My only thing is, I've had hardtails before - steel, aluminum and Ti. I didn't notice much of a difference except for the Ellsworth Sub22 I used to have - that thing was jarring on anything less than smooth. Other that your thoughts? I like both these bikes and am leaning towards the steel!

MSRP's are $1100 the Exile II and $1150 the Dragon Sport.
    I like the spec better the Dragon including the SRAM X7's.

mtbr member
    I'm sellling my Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er hardtail its a 2010 model size large. I live in Helena. PM me if your interested.

Members who have read this thread: 0