20 Mile/Loon Lake?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

20 Mile/Loon Lake?!

Anyone up for a ride around the McCall area this Monday the 21st afternoon sometime??
    I was thinking about doing Loon or even 20 Mile, but would be up for a different trail also. Post back or PM me.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mortman
    Aug 2006

Burned!

Heard from a friend who hiked it earlier this spring that the Loon Loop and area all around Loon Lake was all burned. Black charred timber and feet deep ash everywhere. The meadows before the lake even burned. I also thought the trailhead area was toasted too, but I have not been up there to see myself. TOO DEPRESSING!
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

mtbr member
    Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I guess Loon is out as I really don't want to be breathing ash. 20 Mile or something else?? Anyone have any other info?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No worries on the Loon Lake area trails. Yes, the fires last summer burn't through the area pretty extensively but it is very spotty for the most part. The Forest Service trail crew worked the area over a few weeks back and the trails are in great shape. The wildflowers are just outstanding this summer as well. I rode the area a couple of weeks ago and the only hazard, if you could call it that, were all of the mushroom pickers hiking on the trails. To a one they were well mannered and not a problem.

The Twenty Mile trail is an unknown to me past the intersection with the Twenty Mile Lakes trail. I would guess that you would run into a lot of blow down trees past that intersection. Take insect repellant and sun block and have fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks OldGoat!! Ok now who else wants to go!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

20 mile

last week i did some recon on twenty mile.

from the upper payette trailhead, nice ride to twenty lakes cut off. maybe 3 miles in than numerous trees down on trail. we hike a biked over about 1/4 mile than called it quits.

from the duck lake trailhead side, was able to ride in about 3 miles, the last mile i climbed over 11 fallen trees than called it quits.

anyone know if forest service planning on working on twenty mile?

Members who have read this thread: 0