1st vs 2nd Yellow Mule Creek (Buck Ridge) & Skyline Ridge access Q- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

1st vs 2nd Yellow Mule Creek (Buck Ridge) & Skyline Ridge access Q

I rode First Yellow Mule Creek over the weekend and while it was fun, it looks like 2nd Mule Creek would have a longer descent with not much additional pain.

Is the 2nd Mule Creek trail as ridable / cleanly marked?

Also I was looking for a new adventure and noticed there's potential for a long day / overnight trip N of Hebgen./ S of Little Wapiti Creek & Pika Point.

Has anyone ridden up Red Canyon Creek (FSR 681) and accessed FST 151 (just south of Skyline Ridge?) Or done a shuttle by riding up Wapiti / Oil Well over Sage Basin and down past Skyline Ridge and out via Red Canyon Creek??

Hopefully the rain (snow?) lets up so we can enjoy the last few weeks of riding!

mtbr member
    Some friends and I rode up 1st YM and down 2nd YM on Sunday. The intersection of the 2nd YM and Buck Ridge was hard to find but we quickly ran into a very obvious trail. Go past the intersection for the cabin, turn right at the 2nd post, look for an elk wallow in a grey patch of mud and proceed down the hill. You may see a faint trail that runs into the main trial in about 1/4 mile.

I suspect you could find it more easily by going to the Buck Ridge cabin and looking around for a connector there.

The first couple miles of the descent were really fun fast and flowy. The middle section was more technical with some sharp switchbacks on talus fields. The bottom section needs more traffic to smooth the trail out and the new parts through the Y-stone club aren't anything special. I would do it again but I think I prefer the descent down 1st YM.

I know of some folks who rode Red Canyon a few years back but I don't have any info on that one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The soil out there on all of the mentioned trails is unrideable when wet. Stickey sloppy gumbo goo.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The trail across Buck Ridge from First Yellow Mule to Second Yellow Mule will be closed forever as a result of Sen. Testers Forest Jobs and Recreation Act. Be sure to call his Missoula office and give them an earful about boundary adjustments for McAtee Basin. Look at your map first. Also check out the map on the Senators website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    Also check out the map on the Senators website.
    Aww man, that would suck. Greg do you have a link to part of Tester's site that talks about that? Would the Oil Well/Slide Creek/Wapiti trails be effected too?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here is a link to the map. http://tester.senate.gov/forest/fore...LeeMetcalf.pdf
    Be careful, it's a 36MB monster.
    Tester's full map page is here. Lot's of stuff to look at. http://tester.senate.gov/Legislation...tresources.cfm
    His Missoula office Phone # is (406) 452-9585
    The person to give a message to is Tracy Stone-Manning.

mtbr member
    Boy, it would be a shame to lose the Lost Cabin Lake ride...one of my favorites and a great 2nd day option before or after riding Curly Lake...any chance of requesting a cherry stem variance on this one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Lost cabin may be removed from the bill. It's a rumor. Call Tracy and ask her about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I wonder how they can enforce these new boundaries if no one knows about them?

Presumably you could "walk" your bike the 1/2 mile down to 2nd Yellow Mule Creek...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That presumption would be wrong. No bikes in wilderness, walked, carried, or in pieces. Silly for sure. You would have to go north of the geographic ridge between the two trail junctions in order to be legal with a bike. There is no trail there, and it is almost 2 miles from 1st Yellow Mule to 2nd Yellow Mule. Frustratingly you would be able to see the old ATV trail only a few feet away. Dont forget the additional 1-1/2 miles beyond 2nd Yellow Mule Junction that trail #8 weaves along the proposed wilderness border. We need a few feet of adjustment there as well. Everyone who can make the time should call Tester's Missoula office.
    Just for you that don't understand, trail #8 is a Gallatin National Forest trail that crosses Buck Ridge. By a quirk of geography the Beaverhead Deerlodge NF boundary encompasses a couple miles of Buck Ridge. Also in the recently completed controversial Beaverhead Deerlodge Forest Plan an important item must be aknowledged - the area we are discussing, about 1,900 acres, was not recommended as wilderness. This closure is entirely the responsibility of the Forest Jobs and Recreation Act and it's designers. Just the facts.

Members who have read this thread: 0