mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Xtr 975 Wheelset

im interested in getting a new wheelset for the mojo... im thinking xtr... i heard there is a update to the wheelset.. two models 2008 and 2010 both 975???? how do i tell the difference???

Has a cycling disorder
    Not sure what the differences are, but I've had xtr M975 on my mojo for the last 2 years and they are light, strong and reliable (well, until the freehub died recently–no surprise based on distances they have traveled)
    I recently switched to DT swiss 240s with ritchey wcs hoops for something different.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not sure about the 2008 v. 2010 versions, but the 2011 ones are 15mm compatible and look very nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by t1deep
    im interested in getting a new wheelset for the mojo... im thinking xtr... i heard there is a update to the wheelset.. two models 2008 and 2010 both 975???? how do i tell the difference???
    The way I understand it: Shimano doesn't do product years, but rather product numbers. So an M975 from 2008 should be same as M975 from 2010. I've heard the M970's were problematic, which may be what you're talking about. But the major kinks were worked out with the M975's.

I've had the 975's for ~3 years of 8-10 hrs/week of relatively hard Norcal riding, and they have been surprisingly strong for their weight. I've ridden several XC races on them, but mostly I ride fairly rough singletrack on them. I've even ridden them for a couple days of Northstar, including some of the more gnarly trails, and they held up (although they and the Mojo and I were clearly overmatched on some of the stuff).

The problems I've had: Broken spoke after 1 year (PIA to find a replacement spoke, but easy to swap out); cracked freehub after 2 years; cracked rear rim on inside near valve hole after 2.5 years. I was amazed that for both the cracked freehub and rim Shimano had replacements to my shop within a FEW DAYS for no charge (for cracked rim they sent me an entire new wheel). Because of that experience I'm sold on XTR.

The brand new version (w/ thru axle and wider rim and a little weight gain) is the M988 I believe. I want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll put in my kudos for the xtr 975s. I have had them on the mojo for 3 years with no problems other than this year I had the rear hub in for a little grease. I broke a spoke but that was my fault. I managed to jam my rear wheel between 2 rocks climbing up a steep singletrack and then I lost my balance and fell over. My whole 150 lbs torqued that wheel so hard a spoke broke, sounded like a gunshot. I looked for cause of the sound, didn't find anything wrong and rode the rest of the day no problem. Noticed the spoke next day when washing my bike. One tough rim.

Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

Members who have read this thread: 0