Would you still ride an Ibis- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Would you still ride an Ibis

I've been on Ibis Mojo variations since 2008...my current is an HD3, and I just never raved about it like I did when I got the first gen Mojo came out. Now with friends on the new Revel, the new Nomad getting rave reviews...I'm wondering if the competition is too fierce lately. Has anyone moved over to something they can't believe they didn't ride earlier?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies View Post
    I've been on Ibis Mojo variations since 2008...my current is an HD3, and I just never raved about it like I did when I got the first gen Mojo came out. Now with friends on the new Revel, the new Nomad getting rave reviews...I'm wondering if the competition is too fierce lately. Has anyone moved over to something they can't believe they didn't ride earlier?
    I think that we tend to obsess too much about "the new". Given the quality of the bikes we have available nowadays the only real difference in performance is due to the pilot skill. I ride a HD3 and I know that I am a way much less capable pilot than the bike is!

Having said that, occasionally something worth having comes about (tubeless tires, 1x ... what else?). I recently installed a PUSH ACS3 Coil Kit in the HD3 Pike, and ... THAT made a huge difference for the better. Get one, and save the thousands that it would cost buying a "new=better" bike.
    Last edited by Davide; 3 Days Ago at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies View Post
    Has anyone moved over to something they can't believe they didn't ride earlier?
    No, but a few years back I moved from my HD3 to a Bronson V2 and I couldn't get back on an Ibis quick enough!

TBH it's hard to buy a bad bike these days. There are so many great options around, just pick the travel, wheel size, geo, and price point you want and go with that.

EDR
    "Has anyone moved over to something they can't believe they didn't ride earlier?"

Not really. I went to an M3 after riding 10 years on Yeti bikes, mostly 575's. The Mojo has less travel and is better in many ways (DWL) but the 575's were much more plush and forgiving when bombing high speed chunk. I looked at bikes like Evil, Transition, Yeti SB bikes. Went in with an open mind but knowing although there are a lot of great bikes out there, there are no perfect bikes to cover all possible riding we do as mtb'ers.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 2 Days Ago at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I bought a mojo sl back in 2008, and the biked wowed me for sure. I finally replaced the sl in 2017 with a mojo 3--and that bike, too, wowed me. 2018, I got the itch for a 29er and I test rode/demod a lot of bikes: santa cruz, pivot, yeti, intense, ibis, scott...and I'm sure I have forgotten some. The yeti and ibis were at the top of my list. I probably would have gone for yeti, but a good deal on a used Ripley LS popped up and that's what I got.

After riding Ibis for so long, their bikes and geometry have a very comfortable feel for me. Every bike I demo'd outside of Ibis took a bit of time to feel comfortable, but the Ibis bikes felt just right from the first pedal. There are a lot of good options out there, bikes have come a long way. It's truly down to: buy a bike that fits you best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm been riding an Ibis for years now, from a Mojo SL to a Tranny to an HD to an HD3 to my current Ripley LS. I don't really want to switch, but there's an ebike in my future.
    Last edited by Callender; 14 Hours Ago at 01:15 PM.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Been riding an Ibis since 2008 as well, good old Mojo SL still in the garage and now ridden by my wife. I'm on a 2016 Ripley 2 which I love, though now has a -1.5 Angleset and 140 mm airshaft installed in the fork and IK don't really need to change it though I too wonder about new modern geometry. To that point I have demod a few Santa Cruz bikes, Tallboy, Hightower and 5010 and all apart form the 5010 appeared to 'mute' the trail and felt a bit lifeless IMO. The 5010 was the most 'Ibis' feeling of the three. I wonder if after all these years if it's Ibis bikes fit my riding style or has my riding style adapted to Ibis bikes, or a combination of both . Just love how poppy my Ripley is of lips and jumps and how it 'squirts' forward on the trail when I get low and compress the rear

EDR
    ^^^
    When I demoed a SB5 and 5.5 I felt it muted the ride. I really wanted to love the SB bikes since I had been on yeti for over a decade but it just felt a little bit boring.... And kind of glued to the ground. When I hopped on the M3 it felt totally different. I would wager that those bikes I demoed probably fare better at high speed chunk than the m3 though. But that's okay, it was a trade-off I was willing to make to have an overall more lively and fun experience. I'm not 25 anymore so it works out, lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just got my first Ibis, a Ripmo AF and can say Ibis bikes have great balance of all riding factors. I demo'd quite a bit of the latest bikes; Stumpy 27.5, Enduro 27.5, Mojo3, Ripmo carbon, Instinct BC, Altitude, Hightower v2, Bronson v3 and Tracer 27.5. I should have tried the SB130 and the Offering but didn't. Ibis pedal'd the best but the new lower link Santa Cruz bikes are very close. Gone are their old bad habits. They actually pedal'd a lot like an Ibis up and through obstacles. They are also super plush descending, dead quiet (zero sound) and very stiff. That said, there's always trade offs with each brand. The new geo isn't for everyone. It works in the steep terrain where I ride, mostly granny gear climb for 45 min+, then bomb a decent. For flatter terrain, it doesn't feel as good as geo from 2 years ago. I don't think Ibis is the best at each category but for the Ripmo, and the intended user, it's dialed. For other users with different goals, there might be better options. I think gear boxes and ebikes will be mostly what the future is about. The geo progression has hit it's end as far as I'm concerned. There's still a lot left on the table for suspension designs though. Some hit that balance of climbing and descending abilities much better than others.
    2020 Ripmo AF