mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Why I am not going to buy a MOJO!

That got your attention! Why did I state my comment? Well if you are sitting comfortably then I will begin.

I started with mountain biking in 1989 on a Rockhopper with the old elastomer forks, remember them? Then onto a Marin Mount Vision and then a 2003 S Works Enduro frame which I built up myself and which I love to this day. Strangely the Mojo frame bares some similarity to my Spesh frame which could be working on a subconscious level as to why I really want a MOJO.

I gave you this rundown so that you could see that I tend to hang on to my bikes for a long time before upgrading. My Spesh still does the business and is a light frame but I now have that evil bug in my head which is burrowing deeper and deeper into my brain telling me I need to upgrade to a longer travel bike, more suspension will be good for yooooouÖÖ

So yeah, I read the reviews, watch the videos and am convinced my Spesh is really a pile of dog pooh after all! It doesnít seem to climb like it has an engine, effortlessly, mountain goat like, etc. It doesnít seem to carve corners like its on rails or descend like itís floating over cotton wool. You get the picture as Iím sure you all have been here before.

So after months and months of research I find what I think is the ideal bike for meÖ. The Ibis Mojo SL!!!! Queue fanfare and release of white dove which we all watch lovingly glide effortlessly away in the same manner Iím sure the Mojo must climb mountains. But wait, as we watch our dove make her flight of freedom we hear the heart stopping crack of a shotgun and watch horrified as the puff of white feathers hang in the air and the shattered remains of our symbol of love plummet to the ground slain by the hands of that cruel hunter called progress.

Yes, the Mojo gave me freedom & peace from the months of research and the sleepless nights yet she has flaws that bring my doubts flooding back! Ibis god bless them and I can understand their reasoning to a degree, resist the urge to get sucked into continually bringing out next yearís new model, preferring to gently refine their product as and when they see fit.

So where does this leave me. Well my next bike has got to see me through a long time at least the 8yrs my Enduro has maybe longer. Iím 45 now so this could well be my last bike purchase and pulling the trigger on at least a 3.5k [UK pounds] build is not to be taken lightly. Hell Iím a pro photographer and drop 3.5 k on a new camera in a blink of an eye. Difference is, that camera will pay for its self in a couple of months.

What I need to have now when I pull the trigger on my next bike is a certain amount of future proofing built into the design. I want a tapered 1.5Ē steerer as these are no doubt the future and I donít want to be stuck with forks that will not fit any new frames in a couple of years should I wish to upgrade before I intend to. I want ISCG mounts as Iím sure it will be used in the future for more than holding a chain device. I want the new 12 x 142mm rear axle mount and I want direct mount front derailleier. Ask anyone who has one how good those new direct mounts are and you will get nothing but glowing praise.

So get the 140 HD it has at least the 1.5Ē tapered steerer you say. Yeah it does and I am tempted by that beauty but she is a pound heavier and I want light weight! After 6hrs in the saddle every gram begins to sap your reserves with every tortuous turn of the crank and hell, I know one thing for sure, itís not going to get any easier for me as the years roll by.

So what do I see? I see the competition and all the bikes that made my short list roll out their new offerings for 2011 with all or at least most of the future proofing Iím after. Lapierre Zesty, Yeti 575, Santacruz Blur etc, etcÖ.. damn you all!

Despite all that I really want a Mojo because I watched your vids guys and read how great you are and you seem like the type of guys I could get into bed withÖ.not in that way you understand. And if that bike makes me ride even a tiny fraction like Brian can down A Line I will be a happy bunny indeed.

So Ibis please, please, please sort the Mojo by next summer and you will have a friend for life. If not then Iím afraid I canít wait any longer and I will just have to grit my teeth and buy the Frenchie, and if you yanks understand anything about Brit history you will understand just how hard it is for a brit to admit the French have got something I want let alone give them me hard earned 'Arthur Ashe', as the cockneys would say!

The end.
    Last edited by seriousflapper; 11-08-2010 at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I hope Ibis comes through for you. It's a great bike. I'm with you on the ISCG mounts. As the drivetrains move to 2x10, I'm not sure how else to get a bash guard on the bike and a bash guard is a must have for me. I was able to get a 3x10.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thank you brother and, unintentionally, you twist the knife just a little bit deeper as I forgot that was also what I wanted to go for on my next bike, a 2x10 with bash…perfect!

holding back the darkness
    sounds like you want a nomad.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Walked down this path most of this year picking a new frame. Have never ridden the Lapierre/OST bike but have alot of time on VPP bikes (SC and Intense) and I would suggest looking hard at suspension and geometry first and figuring out what you like the best. Rode the 5" and 6" offerings from Ibis, Santa Cruz, Intense, Yeti, Turner and Specialized before choosing the HD160 and to me it always came down to geo and suspension as the nuance between lots of great bikes out there.

Weight wise the HD140 is inline with the BlurLTc (its about 150g lighter than the HD140 in XL) so I think its a question of do you want a 12.7kg trail bike (HD140 or Blur LTc) or a 11.4 kg bike (Zesty or ASR5c). I find geo and build wise those types of bikes handle very differently.

Frame wise in a XL the weight difference between the Mojo SL and HD140 is 265g, the rest is Maxle light and Headset difference which you get back with the X12 axle and tapered headtube you referenced.

-Shane

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousflapper
    Iím 45 now so this could well be my last bike purchase.
    Don't be so negative. You might live longer then you think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour
    Don't be so negative. You might live longer then you think.
    I can build you a carbon rocking chair with isg,tabs direct mount deraillure.tapered head tube that you can ride till you're 100! It won't be cheap though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    I can build you a carbon rocking chair with isg,tabs direct mount deraillure.tapered head tube that you can ride till you're 100! It won't be cheap though.
    What price can you put on your health my friend! Get it rolling man and can you throw in the ability to swap out between 26ers and 29ers and alter the geo on the fly! Maybe a basket for when I go to collect my pension and in neutrino black please!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Met a gal at the Mt St Helens ride this year who was training for XC racing at the senior Olympics and said she didn't know if she was going to upgrade her bike since it could probably be her last. So I had to ask of course... she was 67.

I told her she was my new hero, and as far as I was concerned she had MORE than earned the right to buy any d**n bike she wanted.

I'm 30 years younger and I don't think I could keep up with her. Certainly not her friend and neighbor in his early 60s that was also training for the senior Olympics. And if I could afford it, I'd sure be riding my dream bike at that stage... if you're facing seasons that you might be able to count out on your fingers you may as well spend them blissed out IMO. It's not like you're gonna get to it later!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What price can you put on your health my friend! Get it rolling man and can you throw in the ability to swap out between 26ers and 29ers and alter the geo on the fly! Maybe a basket for when I go to collect my pension and in neutrino black please!
    Ok its ready.I wouldn't ignore the HD because it's a pound more.It's very ridgid so it pedals like a lighter bike.

mtbr member
    To the op: Could you please sum up that first post in, say, 20 words or less?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    1. you really think 1 1/8 forks are going to disappear? i can understand wanting the tapered design but continuing to wait for it on the mojo means continuing to ride your 8 year old bike for another year (or more). you're not getting any younger, so why keep waiting?

2. iscg? are you expecting them to use it to attach a motor? i've been running 2*9 with a bash guard quite happily.

3. the beefier axle. i can kind of see this but as others noted, do you want a trail/freeride bike or an xc/light trail bike? if you want the beefy rear end, you probably want the HD anyway.

4. direct mount fd? i can't speak to this because my mojo doesn't use one. i can say i'm quite happy with my bike even without it.

you could summarize your post by saying, "hey ibis, i'm bummed that your mojo (which most everyone has loved) does not incorporate the newest fads...err revolutionary breakthroughs to hit the mtb scene. i guess i will wait until the next version comes out. fyi, i'm also never going to buy a new computer because they never seem to have next year's gizmos included."

it's a bike, you'll love it and you'll kick yourself for waiting this long to buy it. plus, it comes with at least 4 excuses for you to buy a new one in less than 8 years...

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    ......... plus, it comes with at least 4 excuses for you to buy a new one in less than 8 years...
    All sounds true enough to me, but that last bit is funny too!

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    seriusflaper i got to ask if any of those thing are going to make you 20 minutes faster ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmq
    seriusflaper i got to ask if any of those thing are going to make you 20 minutes faster ?
    No they are not my friend but I believe you should expect a certain amount of future proofing when buying into a high end product.

For example my last camera purchased was a Nikon D3 a camera that revolutionised the ability to shoot sports in low light which it has done year in year out for me. In fact I still look in awe at my images shot in dim sports arenas to this day and this camera is now nearly 4yrs into its life span and the only camera that can beat it is the Nikon D3s a minor upgrade to the D3 in its mid life term.

Now as you all know the electronics industry moves at light speed compared to even the MTB industry so product redundancy is fast. Now when I bought that camera it was the state of the art at the time with everything on it that was cutting edge in the photography industry which is rightly expected when youíre buying high end equipment even though I don't use half the features it's comforting to know you have them there should you wish to use them in the future.

I can guarantee in 8yrs time the pictures it takes will still look good but not as good as the new 3D 35million pixel cameras which shoot in moonlight that will no doubt exist by then but it will, no doubt, still get you by, a little bit like my 2003 Spesh still gets me by now.

The Ibis MOJO frame is an expensive frame, one of the most expensive in the world and you have to agree Ibis is in the top echelon of bike manufactures. So when I purchase that frame I want to know that it has all the future proofing built in that is current in the industry at that point of time.

The Yeti 575 was a serious contender and they have stuck everything on it for 2011 but put the bl..dy weight up! If the weight had not gone up it would be sitting in my house right now! If Yeti can do it I am sure Ibis can.

mtbr member
    OP, we all appreciate you doing your part to keep the HD wait lists as short as possible..... keep up the good work.... we'll all say a little thank you while we're out shredding on our out-dated bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeti 575? Just another modified single pivot.That's stone age dude!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree with you Shane about the subtle differences between bikes in geo and suspension. So far I have ridden the Zesty, Mojo SL and 575 and to be honest they were all excellent bikes they all pedal well, climb well and descend well the only difference between them is exactly that, they all feel different.

To be perfectly honest my old Enduro did not feel out classed in their company. Bob is not a problem now you have propedal which I would use for climbing on all three of these bikes as I have regular short very steep accents which all three bikes required getting as much weight over the front as possible and having the propedal on to keep the rear high.

The best for climbing was the Zesty.

Coming down they all were excellent and I am not a good enough rider to say which suspension design was better as my Enduro is a very active suspension and felt equally as good but I could tell that the extra travel of the new bikes and stiffer front fork 15mm did confirm why I want to upgrade. I further know you can do amazing things from just fettling your forks and shocks to suit you and your riding style.

Any of these bikes always feel strange when coming from your own but as I have found you soon adjust and before long with a few tweaks here and there they fit like a glove.

The single one thing out of all these bikes tested that impressed the most was the weight! All three I tested weighed around the same.[SL had slk build]. The bike that did that was the Yeti asr5c that I also demoed which just flew!!! It was awesome!!!

Unfortunatly it has slightly less travel than my old enduro so was a no go but the weight makes you feel like a god of single track! Now I know I could build an SL up as light with 140mm of travel hence why I want an SL.

To me the Zesty nudged the lead in the testing but you can't buy the frame only which is a bum. However, buying into this price bracket is not just about which is the best you have to take into account CS which looks like Ibis nails hands down. Couldn't see me getting much joy out of the French when it brakes, they are always on bl..dy strike!

Used to race Enduro and went from a KTM 360 EXC to the 250EXC and the weight and flixability made all the difference to my placings! Which were still crap by the way. The bigger, heavier more powerful bike just beats you up over time. Same as a light weight MTB, it is the single one factor that makes you shred the trails like I was 21 again!!!

So come on MOJO I feel the need for speed........

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi roseyscot,

When I buy a new computer I buy the best I can with the best specs as I spend my life in front of them and they keep up with the advance in technology far longer than buying a mid priced one.

When I buy a new frame I am going to buy the best I can with the best specs as I spend a lot of my life on one and they keep up with the advance in technology far longer than buying a lesser speced frame. See where I am coming from?

I want a light 'aggressive' trail bike. I don't get much air but I do hammer the down hills and ride for 3hrs plus. The SL would be perfect the HD would be overkill.

Don't worry I'm going to give them to the summer and once they bring out the SL with all the features I want which I know they will, because they are IBIS, I will have my money on the table before you lot run screaming to your local bike dealer in the rush to upgrade, whilst watching painfully as your old SL goes for half its value on Fleabay!

All I'm trying to do is highlight what you should at least expect from a top frame in 2010/2011 for those about to buy into the Ibis brand, because, I know they are out there somewhere, listening......

mtbr member
    whilst watching painfully as your old SL goes for half its value on Fleabay!
    I'll buy it. Nothing more fun than taking advantage of those obsessed with marketing hype and artificial improvements.

meh
    good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I'll buy it. Nothing more fun than taking advantage of those obsessed with marketing hype and artificial improvements.
    +1

the only people getting "stung" are the ones who buy the "outdated" technology within months of the new technology being released. frankly, i've enjoyed my mojo sl for 2 seasons and there is nothing Ibis could add to it (or subtract, in the case of weight) that would make me want to replace it. maybe i'm just not caught up in the marketing hype, or maybe i appreciate a company like Ibis that does their homework, nails the design from the beginning and doesn't need to incorporate new gimmicks to keep driving sales (a la specialized, cannondale, trek, even intense, and santa cruz).

i'm sure there will be a new mojo in a year or two with some cool enhancements but frankly my mojo will still be more bike than i need.

mtbr member

+2
    A $900 pre-owned SL, with my 135x10 thru bolt rear wheel and RS Rev, which is already noticeably stiffer through the crown than a Fox, sounds just fine and dandy to me..... I can get quite a few years out of that...can't be made obsolete by inevitable software updates.

BUT....I'm not trying to pile on, Flapper... I can relate to wanting to be on the front end of the trends and get the latest, baddest *****.... I've just got one dependent in college, and 2 more queing up to go, so I just tell myself the year is 20XX minus 3 and that I really AM riding the latest baddest stuff, and it works for me....my jeans are way to baggy to be considered stylish either.... but what the frack do I care! I love my Mojo and it loves me back.... every day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You see folks doismelbacon gets me. If you read my posts you will realise that I certainly do not get caught up in the latest fads or marketing hypes because I have owned only three mountain bikes in 21yrs of riding! I bet most of you top that within 6yrs! We can't all afford/want to upgrade every 3-4 yrs. I would rather upgrade every eight and spend my money on other goodies.

I just believe that if you buy one of THE most expensive mtb frames in the WORLD, that you should at least expect it to be very current technology wise. The tapered steerer is better. The 12x142 rear axle is stiffer. The direct mount front derailleier is easier to install and iscg mounts do allow future flexibility, they are not fads my friends.

Look at Whyte bikes. They try and future proof their bikes as much as they can and I am sure their owners really appriciate and love them for that. It does not add that much more to the cost or weight. I am sure Ibis have by now paid for the tooling of the SL and are well into profits and if it adds another 200 pounds to the price it's no big deal when we are talking about the cost of this frame to start with.

Please also Ibis think ahead in the next redesign and out think the competition maybe add rear wheel clearance for a 650b with a flip flop link ala my 2003 Enduro that changes the bottom bracket height and head angle just by reversing the link (ahead of your time there Spesh). The new 12x142 axle will make it plenty stiff enough at the back for the extra wheel clearance. Or perhaps a similar bracket ala the HD140 to change the travel between 140 and 120 for the racers. Two bikes for the price of one there with the need to tool for only one frame. An accountants dream!

This type of forward thinking will propel you into the upper stratosphere of frame builders and make you INVINCIBLE!!!! Don't just chip away at it guys...go for it big time!

As Spesh say; innovate or die!

I know you are all happy riding about on your MOJO's right now, it's a great bike. But if you didn't own an Ibis and where looking into buying one right now do you really believe that the thoughts I am having now wouldn't cross your minds as well?

I'm doing this for you Ibis fans so you get the very best for your hard earned cash when you buy your new frame. I'm sure the majority of you work and save hard to afford your dream bike, just like me.

mtbr member
    Forward thinking: try to make your bike more like a 2003 Specialized next time

mtbr member
    I really don't understand what the OP is getting at. We are all riding bikes that are bascically based on technology that are 2-150 years old. You want something that is future-proof and is the last bike you'll ever buy? I'm roughly the same age, and I started riding 3-4 years ago. My first bike was a Ventana x-5, and my current is a Mojo HD. The difference is HUGE, ENORMOUS, RADICAL. I hope I can ride till I'm 70+, and I have a strong suspicion that the bikes we ride 30 years from now is quite different from what we have and crave today.

to OP: Go buy a Zesty. guess it's a great bike.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I actually do understand the OP's point here, but I just don't agree and the reason is simple.

If you wait for the "perfect" solution/production/features you will be waiting forever simply because great products continue to innovate. Instead I personally just pick the best I can at that point in time for my personal requirements list.

So for computers I never, ever buy the best, instead I pick an amount and fill it with the best available for that amount. (I work in software development and an on my computer way to much as well).

For Bikes I did my research, had an amount and picked a bike. 3 years later my Mojo is still my dream bike and it has been the parts around it that have adapted to my changing needs. I really, really want a Mojo HD as it has enough changes in the design to pull heavily on me. Unfortunately my current Mojo just continues to perform way to well to justify selling it and replacing it with the Mojo HD (as I there are enough parts changes as well to go along with the new frame).

Of the OP's wish list I agree with some, others I could care less about and yet others I don't agree with - but that is part of the game we play with these toys!. (ISCG tabs would be awesome!)

mtbr member
    Bolt on FD..... couldn't care less... my clamp on works great and I can't see that design disappearing any time soon...bolt on's easier to install, but why miss out on a badass bike now over a one time installation "issue".

ISCG tabs.... what am I missing here? I don't get what the big deal is..... and it doesn't look like Ibis is gonna have a compatible dw link bike anyway, so that could be your deal killer flapper... but I just don't understand why.... hammerschmidt's never gonna be as efficient as good ole chain rings, nor as light....and you said weight is a big priority. There are other good ways to keep your chain on....so..... enlighten me... Why do I want my next bike to have tabs?

So, when Mojo SL Gen2 comes out with a 135x12 thru, tapered steerer, 5.2 lb weight, and a traditional FD mount and no bb tabs......watchu gonna do?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    Bolt on FD..... couldn't care less... my clamp on works great and I can't see that design disappearing any time soon...bolt on's easier to install, but why miss out on a badass bike now over a one time installation "issue".

ISCG tabs.... what am I missing here? I don't get what the big deal is..... and it doesn't look like Ibis is gonna have a compatible dw link bike anyway, so that could be your deal killer flapper... but I just don't understand why.... hammerschmidt's never gonna be as efficient as good ole chain rings, nor as light....and you said weight is a big priority. There are other good ways to keep your chain on....so..... enlighten me... Why do I want my next bike to have tabs?

So, when Mojo SL Gen2 comes out with a 135x12 thru, tapered steerer, 5.2 lb weight, and a traditional FD mount and no bb tabs......watchu gonna do?
    For me personally, ISCG tabs are about wider choices for Bash guard and chain retention systems.

If I was buying an Ibis now it would be the HD hands down, but I am not because I already have a Mojo

mtbr member
    flapper let us know what you end up buying

aka greyranger

x-5

Quote Originally Posted by jeth
    I really don't understand what the OP is getting at. We are all riding bikes that are bascically based on technology that are 2-150 years old. You want something that is future-proof and is the last bike you'll ever buy? I'm roughly the same age, and I started riding 3-4 years ago. My first bike was a Ventana x-5, and my current is a Mojo HD. The difference is HUGE, ENORMOUS, RADICAL. I hope I can ride till I'm 70+, and I have a strong suspicion that the bikes we ride 30 years from now is quite different from what we have and crave today.

to OP: Go buy a Zesty. guess it's a great bike.
    Jeth I am on a x-5 and am looking at the mojo hd. Can you tell a little more about the differences? Thanks

T.W.O.
    OP, it was painful reading your post, as you sounded like you are looking for a wife. If you want geometry adjusted between 29er and 26er and will accept 650b rear with option of ISCG then get the Zorro.

Ibis SL may not fit the 2013 1x13 Shimano, but who cares it rides great now. In 3 years DW Mach2 would ride better with more travel and wheel choices. Waiting til then would make you want to wait for another evolution in designs. What's gonna be the end by the time you buy the bike it would be your last bike you'd buy, just hope you can still ride it.

Bike companies has obligation to entice new customers every year, hence the new greater and better models. If they don't your beloved brand would go belly up. So if you are waiting for Ibis to make their last great bike then you are out of your mind. Ibis would continue to make better bikes to cater to existing owners and attracts new ones.

I own 2 Mojo C and HD on the way, why wait? If super HD come in 2012 and it's another great rides, then I'll get in line for it too. Clearly, you are no longer happy with your current bike, that's why you've spent months researching for the next ones, if it's available now why read about how good it is just ride it. You've got to change your mentality, when it comes to bike try them all, if you can then you know which one you'd keep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redranger
    Jeth I am on a x-5 and am looking at the mojo hd. Can you tell a little more about the differences? Thanks
    You've got PM

aka greyranger
    Quote Originally Posted by jeth
    You've got PM
    thx

local trails rider
    I think my current bikes will be OK, until they stop making BBs for the "English thread" standard, 135mm wide rear hubs, and IS disc brake mounts...

With all the new standards coming up every few months, who knows how long it will be.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Lost
    Dec 2009
    SHUT UP and RIDE!...lol

good luck on your search...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    OP, it was painful reading your post, as you sounded like you are looking for a wife. If you want geometry adjusted between 29er and 26er and will accept 650b rear with option of ISCG then get the Zorro.

That was a joke in reply to having a rocking chair made for me. The 650b was a suggestion. A good suggestion at that as it seems there is quite a few Ibis owners who would like to use these wheels with ease right now.

Look guys you still don't get it. I believe Ibis should give us an upgraded model each year just like the majority of bike manufacturers do. I am under no delusion that they will implement all the bits I would like because their track record does not imply that is what they do.

Yeti just implemented the majority of those changes for 2011. I think Yeti is probably a bigger company than Ibis but would be still classed as a small company compared to the majority. So if Yeti can do it why can't Ibis?

Don't you just hate saving up for months/years and buying that latest shiny new thing just to see the next shinier new thing come out two months later? For example we all know right now exactly what the Yeti 575 has on it for 2011 and if I like all of it then I can confidently buy now and have the best Yeti 575 until the next best one comes out in 2012.

At least I know I have the best for a year at least; that is how the world works!
    With Ibis I could by my SL tomorrow and for all I know the next great model will come out in two months time. Dohh!!

Right now I am a new buyer who has to weigh up all the competition and what they give you for your money now. At this point in time Ibis is behind the competition in incorporating the new tech, a full year in fact. At least give us a tapered steerer then I will at least know the second most expensive component on my bike after the frame will at least fit a new frame three years down the line! If they did at least that I would probably pull the trigger.

For every one vocal person who sees these lack of upgrades to the SL frame there will be many more who will keep their mouths shut and just vote with their wallet and buy a rivals frame or bike instead, because they offer a more up to date product. Believe it or not the majority of MTBers do not bother with forums or engaging in debates online, they just get on with it. In fact I was one of them this is my first post ever on a forum which I did because I actually felt very strongly about this and am on Ibis's side in the end.

So if Ibis kept up with the rest how many new sales do you think they will be getting right now making them a more profitable company and able to keep on offering great products to us Ibis fans that are just a little bit more current.

Love and peace all...and 210MOJO don't don't worry mate I'm still ripping those trails three times a week on my old faithful!

flow where ever you go

Look guys you still don't get it. I believe Ibis should give us an upgraded model each year just like the majority of bike manufacturers do.
    ].........

Don't you just hate saving up for months/years and buying that latest shiny new thing just to see the next shinier new thing come out two months later? .....

At least I know I have the best for a year at least; that is how the world works!
    I get it, I think, I just don't agree nor share your world view.

I believe Ibis should do it right and that they do.

Ibis has brought better bikes and better CS to the market and continues to innovate as rapidly as they can. Whether it takes two months or two years to make changes or innovations or new models, doesn't matter to me as long as I know they are still at it.

I don't care about model years. I don't care, much, if the next greatest is in two months. You never know if you have the best, or for how long. You have what you have. If I think there is something better, whether today, two months, or two years from now, that's when I decide if it matters to me enough to make changes. If I buy and something "better" shows up in two months, maybe I wait a year to change, then I have my own "model year" .
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 11-14-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    That was a joke in reply to having a rocking chair made for me. The 650b was a suggestion. A good suggestion at that as it seems there is quite a few Ibis owners who would like to use these wheels with ease right now.

Look guys you still don't get it. I believe Ibis should give us an upgraded model each year just like the majority of bike manufacturers do. I am under no delusion that they will implement all the bits I would like because their track record does not imply that is what they do.

Yeti just implemented the majority of those changes for 2011. I think Yeti is probably a bigger company than Ibis but would be still classed as a small company compared to the majority. So if Yeti can do it why can't Ibis?

Don't you just hate saving up for months/years and buying that latest shiny new thing just to see the next shinier new thing come out two months later? For example we all know right now exactly what the Yeti 575 has on it for 2011 and if I like all of it then I can confidently buy now and have the best Yeti 575 until the next best one comes out in 2012.

With Ibis I could by my SL tomorrow and for all I know the next great model will come out in two months time. Dohh!!

Right now I am a new buyer who has to weigh up all the competition and what they give you for your money now. At this point in time Ibis is behind the competition in incorporating the new tech, a full year in fact. At least give us a tapered steerer then I will at least know the second most expensive component on my bike after the frame will at least fit a new frame three years down the line! If they did at least that I would probably pull the trigger.

For every one vocal person who sees these lack of upgrades to the SL frame there will be many more who will keep their mouths shut and just vote with their wallet and buy a rivals frame or bike instead, because they offer a more up to date product. Believe it or not the majority of MTBers do not bother with forums or engaging in debates online, they just get on with it. In fact I was one of them this is my first post ever on a forum which I did because I actually felt very strongly about this and am on Ibis's side in the end.

So if Ibis kept up with the rest how many new sales do you think they will be getting right now making them a more profitable company and able to keep on offering great products to us Ibis fans that are just a little bit more current.

Love and peace all...and 210MOJO don't don't worry mate I'm still ripping those trails three times a week on my old faithful!

This is actually quite a good discussion so take this in the spirit of discussion.

I don't agree with your premise that because most people don't read the forums and are not vocal they are not going to by an Ibis SL.

I believe (with no data other than myself and my friends) that most people buy a "real" mountain bike more based on a balance of budget vs available feature for their personal requirements list and that "future tech" protection doesn't even really enter into the discussion.

I think the time that technology comes in to play are:
    - suspension design (with "modern" being perceived as a plus)
    - use proprietary design (the Gary Fisher offset fork is a classic example) (with the use here being a negative because of the thought - well what if I want to put a fork/bottom bracket/headset/etc of my own choice on the bike - will it still ride as well as my test ride or the reviews I read)

For me everything else just enters into the pro's and con's evaluation
    - do I care about 142mm rear hubs? (no I would prefer 150mm so I can move wheels from my DH bike if needed - standards across my bikes are more important than future standards)
    - do I care about ISCG tabs? yes as more choice in todays components is important to me
    - do I care about head tube size? no really as I have 1.5 on my DH bike and still use a standard steerer anyway (Boxxer, Fox 40)

Also consider that for a company that is small like Ibis and has a complicated manufacturing process due to carbon frames that adjusting the layups every year to adapt to the "lastest technology" as well as the design hours required to make sure the design remains one of the best available I just don't see the return on investment being worth the constant change. (but I am not in manufacturing or bike designs so am only guessing).

Anyway, a pretty fun discussion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Iím 45 now so this could well be my last bike purchase....
    Hi seriousfaffer
    Like you I started riding mtb over 20years ago starting fully rigid (though with a Girvin flexstem.......), then hardtail and over the last 10 years various full sus bikes.
    I've recently bought my second Mojo SL in 2 years - just wasn't happy with the grey finish so went for blue - rides faster up/down of course....
    I don't see why at the tender age of 45 it should be your last bike, unless there's some prognosis that you're not sharing with us.
    I'm 61, ride as well now as I ever have and that's partly because I'm riding the best bike I've ever ridden - and you're denying yourself that chance by dilly dallying and faffing as you (sometimes) acknowledge.
    Today, another typical early winters day in the Yorkshire Dales, cool with a definite chance of heavy rain showers but we got lucky - and I was riding an awesome bike without waiting for yet more technology to come along and appease me.
    Riding with a double and bash, chain guide, Hope 10mm rear QR for a beefed up back end, 36 RC2 Talas for dependable front end - don't think you'll be able to beat that combo no matter how long you wait.
    The point is, do/buy it now and enjoy it now because you never know what lies around the next corner

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    This is actually quite a good discussion so take this in the spirit of discussion.

I believe (with no data other than myself and my friends) that most people buy a "real" mountain bike more based on a balance of budget vs available feature for their personal requirements list and that "future tech" protection doesn't even really enter into the discussion.

I think the time that technology comes in to play are:
    - suspension design (with "modern" being perceived as a plus)
    - use proprietary design (the Gary Fisher offset fork is a classic example) (with the use here being a negative because of the thought - well what if I want to put a fork/bottom bracket/headset/etc of my own choice on the bike - will it still ride as well as my test ride or the reviews I read)

For me everything else just enters into the pro's and con's evaluation
    - do I care about 142mm rear hubs? (no I would prefer 150mm so I can move wheels from my DH bike if needed - standards across my bikes are more important than future standards)
    - do I care about ISCG tabs? yes as more choice in todays components is important to me
    - do I care about head tube size? no really as I have 1.5 on my DH bike and still use a standard steerer anyway (Boxxer, Fox 40)

Anyway, a pretty fun discussion.
    Good post I also agree with Noshortcut with Ibis CS and bringing better bikes.

SL strike a good if not great balance of performance and light weight. Before SL, very few if any 5"+ bike weight 22lbs, it took a few years but now I start seeing more AM bike in that range.

Right tool for the right job, if you want light weight machine that can be built very light the SL is a good choice, as for the tapered HT, I don't think it's necessary. Have you seen the size of the head tube, it's like a beer can. beside how beefy the fork are you going to put on the SL anyways. If you want stiff front end, the Magura 2x arch Thor should do the job just fine. It's probably stiffer overall than a tapered 15qr at the same weight.

If you want the bells and whistles offer on the HD, then why not get the HD it's only a tad more weight. It can still be down converted to 140, or get more kinky full 650b. That's what I plan to do with mine, I already have 2 sets of wheels why not swap them around

ISCG? as OP stated, it would be used for more than just holding chain device, not sure what else you can refer to other than Hammerschmidt. HS does not work well with DW designs, said so by DW. Sure some put on their Firebird and have been happy with it. If the product gain traction I'm sure Truvativ would find the way to do a BB version that would fit most bikes, we are talking "in the future" here.

Lots of companies offer proprietary components, G2 and DCRV from GF, some pressed in BB from others, ABP from Trek, or should I say DW, It would be great to put all in one bike but things just doesn't work that way.

New, or upgrades are great it keeps the passion for sport fresh, every time I grab a different bike for a ride it feels fresh and new even when I go all the way back to rigid SS/or 6.5" AM bike on the same trail, it offers different challenge and most important keeping the smile on my face. Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dreameruk
    Hi seriousfaffer
    - just wasn't happy with the grey finish so went for blue - rides faster up/down of course....
    Hi mate,

I knew it, I knew it! Thank god for resolving one of my internal struggles as to what colour is the fastest! I just knew it was the Blue all along. All those idiots out and about on those boring black ones just don't get it do they!

You give me hope brother rabbit that at 61 you can still be out ripping those trails and I aspire to be like you once my time comes. Always inspirational to see that that childhood love affair with the humble push bike never fades and is just as important now as it was all those years ago in giving us the freedom to roam with our mates whether it be down to the local sweet shop on me Raleigh Grifter (the first true mountain bike in my eyes) to now scaling impossible Lake District peaks in the foulest of British weathers with a grin as big as a Cheshire cats once home, warm and dry!

Don't worry I'm not missing out. These new bikes are not that much better than my old one and certainly the gap would close if I bought new lower legs for my Fox rlc Vanilla 125's to run 15mm. Maybe change my brakes to lighter ones (hope M4's) and the wheelset also to a lighter offering and the S works frame is deffo light enough to get me down to a 25-26lb 5" bike.

If I was truly honest with myself my bike would be good enough not to bother getting a new one but, and it is a big but...... I like shiny new things, shallow I know. There is no greater buzz in life than to behold a shiny new thing that you have just bought, whatever that may be, that presses all your buttons!

By the why the ISCG tabs will be used for more than Hammerschmidt. Have you seen the new rear axle gearing by Canyon that does away with the front chain rings, its light too. Bl..dy hell old Sturmney Archer was ahead of his time with his rear wheel gears, remember them anyone? I know the Canyon wonít require ISCG mounts but I bet you that a lighter version of the Hammerschmidt will be on the horizon in the not too distant future and things like ISCG tabs give designers a mount to incorporate into their designs for fixing.

So to sum up, I'm not missing out at anything by waiting as I still have a great bike and If Ibis don't deliver then I might just have to buy a rivals bike (there's plenty to choose from) or just upgrade mine and save a small fortune to spend on MTB holidays, fast woman and loose cars which is starting to sound a bl..dy good idea after all.

Rock n Roll

T.W.O.
    Hi mate,

I knew it, I knew it! Thank god for resolving one of my internal struggles as to what colour is the fastest! I just knew it was the Blue all along. All those idiots out and about on those boring black ones just don't get it do they!

You give me hope brother rabbit that at 61 you can still be out ripping those trails and I aspire to be like you once my time comes. Always inspirational to see that that childhood love affair with the humble push bike never fades and is just as important now as it was all those years ago in giving us the freedom to roam with our mates whether it be down to the local sweet shop on me Raleigh Grifter (the first true mountain bike in my eyes) to now scaling impossible Lake District peaks in the foulest of British weathers with a grin as big as a Cheshire cats once home, warm and dry!

Don't worry I'm not missing out. These new bikes are not that much better than my old one and certainly the gap would close if I bought new lower legs for my Fox rlc Vanilla 125's to run 15mm. Maybe change my brakes to lighter ones (hope M4's) and the wheelset also to a lighter offering and the S works frame is deffo light enough to get me down to a 25-26lb 5" bike.

If I was truly honest with myself my bike would be good enough not to bother getting a new one but, and it is a big but...... I like shiny new things, shallow I know. There is no greater buzz in life than to behold a shiny new thing that you have just bought, whatever that may be, that presses all your buttons!

By the why the ISCG tabs will be used for more than Hammerschmidt. Have you seen the new rear axle gearing by Canyon that does away with the front chain rings, its light too. Bl..dy hell old Sturmney Archer was ahead of his time with his rear wheel gears, remember them anyone? I know the Canyon wonít require ISCG mounts but I bet you that a lighter version of the Hammerschmidt will be on the horizon in the not too distant future and things like ISCG tabs give designers a mount to incorporate into their designs for fixing.

So to sum up, I'm not missing out at anything by waiting as I still have a great bike and If Ibis don't deliver then I might just have to buy a rivals bike (there's plenty to choose from) or just upgrade mine and save a small fortune to spend on MTB holidays, fast woman and loose cars which is starting to sound a bl..dy good idea after all.

Rock n Roll

Great idea, post your answer on the Bike and Frame forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    (NOTE: I only read about half of this whole therad so if I've missed something, please forgive me)

A few months back there was an article in one of the mags called "How not to buy a bike" about a dood who's buddies bike wasn't just old, he was grossly outriding it and he spent years looking at which bike he should buy. Flapper, if you're outriding the old bike, you should look this one up, my friend.

I'm 45, on my 3rd mountain bike ever and just went past 5600 off road miles on my 07 anthem including a 24 hour solo and an ungodly number of trips around the country riding stunts that I've only seen on youtube like the toilet bowl, stairway to heaven and the corkscrew. (and those were in the last 3 months!) If you ever see a silver van with 12 bikes on one trailer- that's me and my bro's. Look for us around epics cause we're on a mission.

My advice to you is the same advice I give to everyone who asks me what kind of bike they should get. Go to 3 bike shops and ride 3 bikes each. if you like 26" fully's - ride'm, 29ers hardtails, ride'em.

One of those bikes is gonna feel like you were seperated at birth. That's the one you buy, you take it home that day and you never look back cause all the other excuses for not taking it home are like refusing to go home with a hot girl because you don't like her purse.

I've rented and test ridden numerous bikes on real terrain all over. The clincher? After riding a standard mojo on Dakota Ridge in Golden and really likeing it, I took the '11 HD down the whole enchalada last month. AAAANND we have a winnah!!! Deciding on amenities with my LBS but a white hd is in my near future.

Of course, this is friendly advice from one ODB to another- my fellow nobbie, a bike is not a lifetime commitment, it should only last as long as it is keeping up with your skill. Not buying a new bike cause you're afraid next years will be better is the perfect way to make sure you never get a new bike. Just saying...

Now clean the sand outa yer vagina and go ride some bikes. Take your checkbook.
    Believe in yourself? Well, of course. Just be aware that believing in myself has been the root cause of most of my injuries!

T.W.O.
    Get your priority straight, and ride them all

mtbr member
    Hey Mimi where's the Maverick?

T.W.O.
    Hey Mimi where's the Maverick?
    It's there in another side of the garage, only have room for so much
    Ells is there too

mtbr member
    You, sir, are OUT OF CONTROL!!!
    Nice quiver (understatement of the month)....congrats. Mojo HD seems to be the gaping hole in your lineup....C'mon Dude!!
    Looks like your'e not riding the Szazbo much these days..

Have you ever parted with a bike you owned, or do you just keep them all?

holding back the darkness
    Mimi... there is something very wrong with you.

or maybe very right.
    **** censorship

flow where ever you go
    Mimi, if you ever need therapy for your hoarding "problem", I'll be glad to "help out".

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96
    I hope Ibis comes through for you. It's a great bike. I'm with you on the ISCG mounts. As the drivetrains move to 2x10, I'm not sure how else to get a bash guard on the bike and a bash guard is a must have for me. I was able to get a 3x10.
    The new Shimano XT and XTR 'Trail' 10 speed cranksets have old school chainring bolt patterns whereas the XTR 'Race' and the new SRAM stuff have a wider bolt pattern. So you can still run your old, heavy Supercharger bashguard if you shop wisely. The Shimano 'Trail' cranksets also don't have that flared spider like the new SRAM stuff.

SRAM does have an OEM 2x10 crankset that comes with a bashguard. However, the only one I've seen so far was on a friends bike after SRAM gave it to her at SRAM camp. Due to the gearing on it, 26/36, she thought that it was intended for 29'er trail bikes.

Lastly, I was told that QBP was going to be stocking bare bones cranksets (Race Face last I heard with no mention of SRAM/Shimano but the details given were rather vague at the time a couple months back) where the customer could decide upon a spider and chainring combo's due to the fact that there is so much confusion about the 10 speed stuff. Whether that has any truth to it, I guess we'll see.

And to get even more nit-picky, guys around here are running 9 speed cranksets/chainrings/f.derailleurs with a 10 speed chain, cassette and r. derailleur/shifter with zero issues so they can run a bashguard and have a few more (inexpensive) chainring choices.

Give it time, things will catch up to the 10 speed stuff. It works really well and I'm happy to have thrown down for a full 2x10 drivetrain.

Doesn't really get at the heart of the ISCG issue which is something Ibis has to come to terms with on its own, but I think this resolves the 9 speed vs. 10 speed concern.

And John Travolta had a new baby so none of this really matters in the grand scheme of things anyway.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 11-24-2010 at 01:50 PM.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    You, sir, are OUT OF CONTROL!!!
    Nice quiver (understatement of the month)....congrats. Mojo HD seems to be the gaping hole in your lineup....C'mon Dude!!
    Looks like your'e not riding the Szazbo much these days..

Have you ever parted with a bike you owned, or do you just keep them all?

First off to subliminalshiver, noshortcuts. 12-step program I attended didn't work

Mojo HD is on the way as I order a small and I'm not the first in line, hopefully in a few weeks

Szazbo, is a project of mine, want to make that a SS, but still have to find a shock, thinking Manitou, but Fox would probably work too.

And yes I've let go off many bikes in my time, I just keep what I like, the only problem is I like most of them, luckily, my buddy (same size) also like bikes, so we often swap bikes for a few rides, boy that save me a lot of money

the train keeps rollin
    Hi Flapper, I like your writings, good stuff, keep flapping.

Point 1, Taper headtube can still run 1 1/8 fork, you just need a reducer lower cup

Point 2, ISG05 will add weight, so it will no longer be a SL, speculation says this will never make it to the SL model

take care,

SD
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    OMG Mimi.....now I don't feel guilty at all. Gorgeous bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato
    One of those bikes is gonna feel like you were seperated at birth. That's the one you buy, you take it home that day and you never look back cause all the other excuses for not taking it home are like refusing to go home with a hot girl because you don't like her purse.
    This is the quote of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato
    Now clean the sand outa yer vagina and go ride some bikes. Take your checkbook.
    Nope. This, my friend, is definitely the quote of the year! LOL!

I totally agree. We could each wait forever for the most advanced bike as technology marches on.

mtbr member
    all those bikes and not one turner? you are a true nig nog

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    what the?? mimi are u a LBS? jk

Techno-Beaver
    I suggest with all my heart... YETI. Join the tribe and don't look back. That being said, If I hadn't gone Yeti, Ibis would be my bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why I am not going to buy a MOJO!-yeti-1.jpg  

Why I am not going to buy a MOJO!-andrew-4.jpg  

Why I am not going to buy a MOJO!-yeti-3.jpg  

Epic Ride. Epic Lunch.

Techno-Beaver
    Can you guys tell that I visited your forum often for inspiration when building this rig?
    Epic Ride. Epic Lunch.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by becadog73 View Post
    I suggest with all my heart... YETI. Join the tribe and don't look back. That being said, If I hadn't gone Yeti, Ibis would be my bike.
    How's it ride? It looks horrid - at least to me. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts View Post
    How's it ride? It looks horrid - at least to me. Happy trails!
    It looks cool to me. And I know it rides great.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    It looks cool to me. And I know it rides great.
    Me too, the only thing is Yeti frames are not too friendly to shorter riders.

Techno-Beaver
    It's kind of like if a Ferrari and a Lexus had a baby. Is that horrid enough for you? In all seriousness, it rides awesome. Beefier rear end mated to the through axle makes loads of difference over previous 575's. Lower BB as well. Still waiting to try a mojo out! I don't see many here in the Midwest.
    Epic Ride. Epic Lunch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Get your priority straight, and ride them all
    All of your wheels are too small.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Horrid??
    That's about the pimpest 575 I've seen, and I've seen a bunch. My #1 riding buddy had one that I rode for a solid month.... nice bike. The Mojo pedals better, and was stiffer at the same weight (earlier version of 575 vs Std. Mojo). Now the 575 has stiffened up it's act, but with a serious weight penalty.... nonetheless, killer bike... you sound stoked, and you've got good reason to be. Enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 0