mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Where do you 'adjustable seatpost' riders clamp your Mojo in a workstand?

I've been clamping lightly around the fox shock outer canister on the assumption that my 25lb build should do to much damage that way - but had a few reactions by some workshop mechanics on that recently, but seems to work OK so far...

Just wondering what other Mojo owners do?

Cheers

B

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm wary of clamping on an adjustable post so I use an old post that I have kept for that purpose. Pick up a cheap 31.6 work the work shop

holding back the darkness
    just clamp right on your post.
    It really doesn't take much force to secure a bike in stand. If you've got a Park there is not need to really vise it down, same with an Ultimate- in fact the ultimate is probably easier to fine tune.

mtbr member
    Good question. I'm curious to see the answers, but I would assume the top part of the adjustable seat post is fine.

Erik

aka dan51
    I slide the post up so I can clamp on the non-moving part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    so lightly clamping the frame on the downtube is no good?

Singletrack Addict!!!
    No good at all, it's not worth the risk, specially on high end and light bike. Take a look in the HD build thread and you'll see an HD with Joplin clamped.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden
    No good at all, it's not worth the risk, specially on high end and light bike. Take a look in the HD build thread and you'll see an HD with Joplin clamped.
    Risk of what? Won't hurt a thing.. The clamping force to hold up a 25lb. bike is next to nothing and the clamps should be rubber.... though I don't think my clamp would fit the frame well.

I clamp to the bottom section of the Joplin but I have to swivel or pinch the cable to the side a bit so it's not totally in the way.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 08-17-2010 at 07:51 PM.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    I clamp right on the rase seatpost. My setup doesn't lend itself to a swap and if I trust it to hold up to riding, I really don't have a problem with it being held in a light rubber vice of the g3 stand.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

thanks for all your replies.... seems like i'm the only one clamping the air canister

I use an AMP post, which i have fully inserted into the frame so I can't clamp the lower outer tube, and can't be ars*d keep swapping out with a standard post just to put on a workstand (fixed cable at bottom like GD posts) - too much faff for sure.

I've tried clamping the top section of the post (which has a neoprene boot - similar but much nicer than the ghastly GD rubber boot) but due to my uber short legs i have adjusted the post to be fixed in the 1inch drop position at max extension, so there's not enough 'plain shaft' exposed for my Ultimate clamp jaws to get round without fouling some of the lower cable/ spring release mechanism.

Thanks for everyones input

B

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've always clamped mine on the downtube right below the shock. I loosely clamp it and then begin to tighten the clamp until it becomes just tight enough to hold the bike (not very tight at all). Been doing this for about 2 years and have not damaged it yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0