mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wheelset Upgrade?

Well my ibis (mojo SL w/SLX kit) came in and I'm really happy with it! The only thing that was slightly disappointing was the weight. It came it a bit heftier than expected at 28lbs.

I decided I could live with the weight for now and maybe upgrade the wheelset sometime down the road. However, a friend of mine is building up a bike and has offered to buy the stock wheels off me for a very fair price. Given this opportunity, I'm thinking that I'll save myself some money and a lot of hassle to upgrade right now.

Here's what I'm looking for...

1. 20mm front axle 10mm rear (as a pleasant surprise, I got a 10mm TA with my stock wheels)

2. Sub 1800g (isn't that what the stock wheels weigh?)

3. Tubeless compatibility: I've wanted to try tubeless for a while and I'm intrigued by the weight savings.

4. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $600.

Here are the options I've found.
    Stan's ZTR/Flow wheelset W/HD hubs. $475, 1714g
    Sun Ringle Charger Pro, $471, 1685g

Easton Haven, $649 (stretching it)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Flows or Archs with Hope Pro 2 hubs depending on how light a wheel you want and what rim width you want. Better Hub.

CRC will do Flows/Hopes for $480 with free shipping.

Talk to Chad at Red Barn Cycles also. He has a good price on them and you get hand built wheels out of the deal. Have Hadley/Flows from him on my HD and love them.

-Shane

Dropshot Champ!
    Would you be interested in a set of handbuilt Industry Nine red hubs / red spokes / dt swiss 4.2 hoops? They're setup tubeless already. They'e the xc version, not the allmountain/enduros.

I'm hesitant to sell them because they look amazing, have 120pts of engagement, and the sound is addicting...but I'm ~200lbs geared up with a full camelbak, and I'm thinking I am a little too big for these XC versions laced to a XC-ish side of AM wheel..

It would allow me to recoup some of the cost of my ibis tho, and I've got tons of wheelsets laying around.

~1610g
    ~1000-1100$ new.
    ~setup qr front and rear right now. You can go 15/20 up front and thru in the rear if you want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Damn, I'd love to have a set of I9's but I'm about the same weight as you (190lbs) so I don't think the 4.2 is substantial enough for me either!

Dropshot Champ!
    haha damn us bigger folk. They're sweet too! I kinda wanna keep em but I figure at my weight, one of these days its gunna be taco time! Or something along those lines.

I've got a set of hope pro2 hubs laced to a dt swiss 5.1 set (sounds like you're looking at something close to this) that I bought from chainreactioncycles a few years ago. I haven't had to true them once, and they've been to Northstar, Downieville, and some other fairly aggressive northern california trails. The 5.1s at our weight are solidly bulletproof! I think you'd be happy with that, the flow, or even the arch from stans/ztr. The dt wheels converted easily to tubeless with the stans kit though.

Everyone I ride with has swapped from the flows to the archs lately, even guys I know that are 240 geared up, and they seem to be holding up fine. I've got a set of arch's but don't have any trail time on them yet (got too many damn wheelsets, can you tell?).

Good luck! Let us know what you choose!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hmm, I'm not sure on the rim choice either. The flow's are 3.6mm wider but only 50g heavier. With a weight difference that minimal, I can't imagine that the flows are much stronger, only wider.

So the question is, is the extra width worth the weight? (BTW typically run 2.4 nobby nics or 2.35 Rampages)

I really like the charger pro's too. They seem to be a cheaper version of Easton Havens. The reviews are pretty positive, the only thing holding me back are the "bling" looks and the lack of an extensive track record.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Can't beat stans for bang for buck. Which depends on type of riding. For me, for most applications I would go Archs. If you are going really gnarly go flows.

mtbr member
    If you can swing the extra $, I would go for the Havens. My buddy has a pair and they are really nice. Easton seems to have nailed it: Strong, light, wide enough, nice looking, and price is really good for what you get.

Dropshot Champ!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    Are the hubs convertible? I run a 20mm TA up front and I'd like to run a 10mm in the rear.

I really wish easton hadn't put those flashy graphics under the clearcoat. They should do all of them with the outlined letters like on the carbon version, much more tasteful. I am not a fan of the look or the overt advertising. But...I suppose I could live with them.

Nevermind, it seems like there is no conversion available so that's a no-go for me. I appreciate the suggestions though, keep em' coming!
    Last edited by rusty904; 12-01-2010 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904
    Are the hubs convertible? I run a 20mm TA up front and I'd like to run a 10mm in the rear.

I really wish easton hadn't put those flashy graphics under the clearcoat. They should do all of them with the outlined letters like on the carbon version, much more tasteful. I am not a fan of the look or the overt advertising. But...I suppose I could live with them.

Nevermind, it seems like there is no conversion available so that's a no-go for me. I appreciate the suggestions though, keep em' coming!

Except for the newer 12mm standards, all rear axles are 10mm. Are you sure you have a through axle (i.e. the entire 10mm x 135mm axle comes out) or does your rear hub bolt on with two 10 mm bolts. I notice a slight difference in the bolt on versus qr clamp, but the axle size (10mm) is still the same and I woudn't decide not to buy a wheelset just because it doesn't have a bolt on rear option. Otherwise, I think the CRC Hope/Arch or Flow combo mentioned above is the best deal. 20mm havens are only available for 2011 and they aren't on sale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here's what I got. Still confused on the terminology I guess. It's a 10mm diameter axle with a nut on one end and QR cam on the other end.

I noticed a difference in rear end stiffness between my bike and the 09 version I demo'd with the standard QR. I'd like to be able to keep that stiffness in another wheelset.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rusty904; 12-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cool - that does look like an actual through axle. I haven't seen many of those in 10mm. There are quite a few hubs that can be converted to bolt on though, including the hopes. The bolt on should be close to the stiffness of the TA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I havea wild-card to throw in, I spent AGES looking fir a set of trail wheels which weigh sub 1700g and I found them in Germany!! (I'm in UK but they ship worldwide..)
    Spec: Nope 3-way pro hubs (titanium internals), FULLY convertable front and rear hubs to all axle standards (20mm, 15mm, q/r, 135x10, 135x12 etc etc). Had them laced to Stans Crest with Sapim CX Ray spokes. They weigh 1480g!! And under £400, so ~$600...
    I have Flow rims also but to be honest I ride my 355s and Crests lots and never ding them, and I'm not kind the way I ride (I'm also 190lbs with riding gear...). Even if you did want Flows, you can spec these too.
    Check them out at www.actionsports.de remembering to click on the British flag icon to translate the page into English (unless you sprechen die Deutsche!). Also, their customer service is stunning and they speak good English. You can always send them a custom spec also.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think the flows are one of the most reliable rims around. I have come down hard on bigger landings that have bent the tire casing severely but the rim was still straight as an arrow.
    Everyone seems to like the hope hubs for the money.
    That being said the SUN Charger pro seems to be an awesome wheel, and at that price its hard not to take a serious look at it. The hubs internals seem straightforward, and they convert to every axle configuration. The rims use the same tech as the flows.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I agree with Morandi, on the whole. My Flows are superb rims and pretty strong. But to be honest for 90% of trail riding, my Crests/355s are plenty durable and take ~2.3 tires happily. The Flows are maybe a little OTT for most riding from my experience. They're not heavy by any stretch of the imagination but rotational weight is a key weight saving and the Crests are considerably lighter than the Flows so with them being plenty strong for trail riding, I'm happy to have fast light wheels.
    As for the Sun Ringle wheels; I deliberated about these and two factors held me back, namely the graphics are pretty OTT for me, and secondly the Ringlé hubs have a bad reputation for reliability of recent years. I used to swear by Ringlé products in the early MTB days, but recently the reliability of the hubs has been poor. I genuinely hope they've improved, it would be good to see them back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    From what I've heard, the graphics are very easy to remove with a hairdryer. (if I bought them I would certainly do so. Don't know about the reliability but you can't argue with the reviews and especially the price. Not a fan of colorful anodized bits though.

I have no doubt that the crest is a great rim, but I just have a hard time trusting a 340g rim. Whenever I rail a tight berm or hit a jump I'd would think twice about my rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The Ringlés should be great, I hope they are. As for the Crests, big jumps are a no-brainer no-no but on anything I normally ride (up to 4-5ft) they've never skipped a beat. As for carving berms, the lateral stiffness is the important factor here. For me, there's three key factors for stiffness, number of spokes (mine have 32F&R, Ringlés have less? Not sure), spoke type (mine are Sapim CX-Ray which are prob stiffest going), and of course the rim. Believe me, I'm ~14stone riding weight and these wheels don't flex one jot.
    If you want more strength for bigger riding, personally I'd go with the same spec I've got, with Flow rims, they'd still be ~1700g and stiffer than Ringlés due to higher spoke numbers and stiffer spokes.
    Either way, wheels are an infintely personal choice, this is just my 2c :0)
    Happy trails mate.

Members who have read this thread: 0