mtbr member
    Dec 2008

What different rear axles can the Mojo SL accommodate?

I'm quite lost when it comes to rear axles as I have always used 9mm QR. I'm currently building a new wheelset, and I'm thinking I might go with something tougher than a QR. So my question is twofold: what different axle options are there that the Mojo SL can use and which of these would you recommend?

I have been planning on using a Chris King rear hub, which has the following options: Fun Bolt, QR, 135 x 10mm thru, 135 x 12 thru

mtbr member

Mojo rear axle

The Mojo and Mojo SL use a "traditional" 135 x 10 mm rear axle, so anything made for a different axle length (like 142 or 150 mm) or diameter (like 12 mm) will NOT work. Your front wheel would be the 9mm QR, the rear is actually 10mm. Those numbers refer to the outside diameter of the axle, which your QR skewer (5mm) passes thru. You can see the ends of the axle...they're the stubs that rest in the drop out.
    You can get a "thru bolt" rear wheel, where the skewer is basically super sized up to 10mm and fills the drop out rather than the stub ends of the axle doing so. Some people (myself included) use a Hadley thru bolt which is a simple sweet machined aluminum bolt that requires one hex wrench to operate. DT makes a tool-free 10mm thru bolt that looks pretty trick too but I've never owned one. They cost more. There are others.
    For hubs you can check out DT, Hadley, King, Shimano Saint, Hope..... others? ..... The King 10mm thru or fun bolts will work.... I believe that their thru option does not include a bolt, so you'd need to get aforementioned Hadley or DT separately. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody, I'm may not be up to speed on King's latest.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx
    I'm quite lost when it comes to rear axles as I have always used 9mm QR. I'm currently building a new wheelset, and I'm thinking I might go with something tougher than a QR. So my question is twofold: what different axle options are there that the Mojo SL can use and which of these would you recommend?

I have been planning on using a Chris King rear hub, which has the following options: Fun Bolt, QR, 135 x 10mm thru, 135 x 12 thru
    I'm running a135/12mm TA om my Mojo it can be done.Not, only it can be done its better than QR.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I agree.. I like it too. How are you running a 12mm thru? Did you file out the drop out? or is there some kind of step down thru bolt?

mtbr member
    Ahhhh, I see....
    http://bike.com/atomlab-bolt-on-axle...=GoogleProduct

yet more options.....cool

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    Ahhhh, I see....
    http://bike.com/atomlab-bolt-on-axle...=GoogleProduct

yet more options.....cool
    I'm running NYCfreeride ones, I'd like it the most due to weight factor. Azonic also makes one too . I just can't go back to QR's anymore way too much flex for a full suspension bike.

Regards

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/180...mm-X-135mm.htm

Andy (nycfreeride), he is a crazy guy but makes some pretty awesome components.

http://www.myspace.com/nycfreeride
    Last edited by pvflyer; 11-11-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    I'm running a135/12mm TA om my Mojo it can be done.Not, only it can be done its better than QR.
    That's not really accurate and actually misleading. You're still using the "normal" 10 mm dropouts. Your axle happens to be 12 mm but it is generally accepted that when you discuss "through axles", the dropouts must be able to handle the diameter specified.

Good find though. Good compromise for a "true" 12mm TA

bike rider
    That's just an adapter if you already have a 12mm hub. It's no better than a 135x10mm thru-bolt hub.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I've used the DT 10mm thru bolt and it works great in the mojo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sorry to drudge up an old thread but this is about the best info I can find.

I bought a new SL in May and can't find any info on the rear axle. It's the stock SLX build w/ Ibis wheels (Ibis / SX44).

Is this the 135x10mm?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Will the Atom lab adapter work with any 12mm x 135mm rear wheel ?
    It looks like it to me. I am about to order one as I am so tired of the QR.....

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrmr View Post
    Sorry to drudge up an old thread but this is about the best info I can find.

I bought a new SL in May and can't find any info on the rear axle. It's the stock SLX build w/ Ibis wheels (Ibis / SX44).

Is this the 135x10mm?
    Stock hubs/wheels are 135X9. I don't know if the Ibis wheels are convertible but you have the standard skewer. Various hubs accept a 10mm axle/thrubolt that will fit in the normal dropouts. Like this: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16375

Your hub would need to be able to convert from 9mm to 10mm to accept that skewer. Naturally, DT hubs would work as does Hope, Hadley, King. That is not a complete list by no means.....but just to give you an idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Rear axle for the xtr m970 on the mojo

Hope im not hijacking-anyone know if the shimano xtr m970 rear can take any sort of thru axle?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg View Post
    Stock hubs/wheels are 135X9. I don't know if the Ibis wheels are convertible but you have the standard skewer. Various hubs accept a 10mm axle/thrubolt that will fit in the normal dropouts. Like this: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16375

Your hub would need to be able to convert from 9mm to 10mm to accept that skewer. Naturally, DT hubs would work as does Hope, Hadley, King. That is not a complete list by no means.....but just to give you an idea.
    Sorry, this is not correct. As explained above, standard mtb rear including the mojo sl is 135x10mm. The quick release, bolt on, fun bolts, thrubolts, etc are just different ways of mounting the wheel, but the hub axle and frame drop out size is still a 10mm standard. 9mm axles are used on the front only.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer View Post
    I'm running NYCfreeride ones, I'd like it the most due to weight factor. Azonic also makes one too . I just can't go back to QR's anymore way too much flex for a full suspension bike.

Regards

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/180...mm-X-135mm.htm

Andy (nycfreeride), he is a crazy guy but makes some pretty awesome components.

http://www.myspace.com/nycfreeride
    Sorry for my ignorance, I'm kinda confused here. So you guys are saying that this http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16375
    will fit in the drop out of the standard mojo and mojo sl and all I have to do is upgrad my rear hubs?

PS: can you guys please post a picture thanks...

bike rider
    ^yes
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Hope im not hijacking-anyone know if the shimano xtr m970 rear can take any sort of thru axle?
    No, XTR 970 is traditional QR only, AFAIK. Saint has a 10x135 thru bolt hub. I believe it's FH-M810. I have one and it's quite nice....quick engagement, low friction shimano cup/cone bearings.... if it ever wears out I'm going to use it for an anchor in my kayak....steel axle (not the thru bolt, but the axle itself), and steel freehub make for a pretty heavy hub. I'm using the Hadley alum thru bolt with it... rock solid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mojo SL + Rear hub thru axle solutions?
    Hi there. I have a simple question which I'm finding rather hard to find a clear answer for.
    I ride a 2010 Ibis Mojo SL fitted with a pair of 2010 CB Cobalt XC wheelsets (Black & Gold model).

I wish to stiffen up the rear of my Mojo SL by fititng a DT Swiss RWS thru axle or similar without having to change to a new set of wheels!

My question: Is there a REAR hub adapter kit available for my 2010 CrankBrothers Cobalt wheels to convert from standard QR 135 x 10mm? According to the link below there is a 135 x 12mm & 142 x 12mm adapter kit available that will work on my Cobalt's

If I fit the adapter kit to my rear Cobalt wheel I assume I will need the 135 x 12mm version to ensure it fits my Mojo SL dropouts? Assuming all this works out what thru axle brand/model will fit my new rear hub 135 x 12mm on my Mojo SL?

The below link is for a DT Swiss RWS 135mm x 10mm thru bolt solution but this won't help as the hub kit above is 12mm not 10mm diameter?

And this DT SWiss thru bolt version won't work either as it's 142mm long not 135mm long but is the correct 12m diameter.

Seems completely over complicated to me!

Any knowledge out there on this would be greatly appreciated , )

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ran a DT Swiss RWS 10x135 thru bolt on my Mojo C for 2.5 years, noticeably stiffer than QR and fairly durable for when you dump your bike non-drive side. I personally never had any problems, but I've heard of folks over tightening and stripping the RWS threads. As long as you have a 10x135 hub and the appropriate adapters (which most XC oriented wheels are unless 12x142), you're good to go.
    EVIL Uprising

screamer

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by BoarderLion View Post
    Mojo SL + Rear hub thru axle solutions?
    Hi there. I have a simple question which I'm finding rather hard to find a clear answer for.
    I ride a 2010 Ibis Mojo SL fitted with a pair of 2010 CB Cobalt XC wheelsets (Black & Gold model).

I wish to stiffen up the rear of my Mojo SL by fititng a DT Swiss RWS thru axle or similar without having to change to a new set of wheels!

My question: Is there a REAR hub adapter kit available for my 2010 CrankBrothers Cobalt wheels to convert from standard QR 135 x 10mm? According to the link below there is a 135 x 12mm & 142 x 12mm adapter kit available that will work on my Cobalt's

If I fit the adapter kit to my rear Cobalt wheel I assume I will need the 135 x 12mm version to ensure it fits my Mojo SL dropouts? Assuming all this works out what thru axle brand/model will fit my new rear hub 135 x 12mm on my Mojo SL?

The below link is for a DT Swiss RWS 135mm x 10mm thru bolt solution but this won't help as the hub kit above is 12mm not 10mm diameter?

And this DT SWiss thru bolt version won't work either as it's 142mm long not 135mm long but is the correct 12m diameter.

Seems completely over complicated to me!

Any knowledge out there on this would be greatly appreciated , )
    The only way that CB 12x135 hub conversion kit would work is if you used the Azonic "step down"' 12x135mm axle linked to above (or one like it). It's designed to let one run 12mm hubs in a 10mm dropout frame, which is what you'd have in this case.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

meh
    another axle thats out for the 12x135 with standard 10mm dropouts is the Sun Ringle Adapter
    Have one sitting around for a build Im doing soon

Members who have read this thread: 1