mtbr member
    Sep 2008

What chain guide should I use on the Mojo?

Going to run a 1x9 setup with a 36T chainring and a 11-34 cassette with bb mount chain guide. Looking at Gamut P30 bb mount and the new E.13 SRS+ with adapter. Want something light.

MPI
    mtbr member
    I am using Gamut P20. One spacer off from BB drive side. If you use new XTR cranks with P20 (32T) you have slice a little away from bash because it wont fit otherwise. I am not sure if it same with P30 also.

Greets! MPI
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I run a backspire stinger, although it may not be quite what you are looking for,it works well

mtbr member
    I run an MRP 1.x which works very nicely. There is a trick to it though as you can't mount it as MRP suggests against the BB shell because of the lower linkage, you have to run a spacer next to the shell and then the MRP then the cup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI
    I am using Gamut P20. One spacer off from BB drive side. If you use new XTR cranks with P20 (32T) you have slice a little away from bash because it wont fit otherwise. I am not sure if it same with P30 also.

Greets! MPI
    Exactly what I am using, well I have a 34 ring. Works great.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    I run a backspire stinger, although it may not be quite what you are looking for,it works well
    nzl62---Do you run two rings with the Stinger? Does it affect pedaling efficiency or shifting? Which one of these did you buy for your Mojo, and was it easy to install?: http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/263221/0/0

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thats the guy. As I have a hollow tech 2 setup, it was easy to fit. Just remove one spacer and pop it in. Getting it positioned perfectly takes a little bit of patience to avoid it interfering with the lower part of the swing arm. I run 2 rings, a 24 granny and a 36 middle/outer with a bash guard. I chose the stinger to reduce or eliminate instances of chain suck caused by dropping the chain inside the inner ring. Works well. I thought the lower roller would hit logs and the like but it hasn't happened.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    e.thirteen dually on mine, Shimano XT hollotech crank, big ring replaced w/ e.thirteen bashguard. All works great but makes more noise than without

OHV Gansta
    My mates come up with a single chainring/guide/guard all in one unit. (international patent)
    Soon releasing a production model to the public. I've had a prototype on my bike for the past two weeks testing it out and it works wicked. Gonna be available in 3 sizes 28T, 30T, 32T and lots of different anodized colours..... Stay tuned, you seen it here first

MPI
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GazaTron
    My mates come up with a single chainring/guide/guard all in one unit. (international patent)
    Soon releasing a production model to the public
    Keep us informed. I am interested in. Thnx!

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI
    Keep us informed. I am interested in. Thnx!
    Cool man. Their in production. Ready for sale in two weeks.
    Website is in development stages and will be ready by then also. Great thing is they will work with any frame not just the mojo. I dropped 409grams off my bike when I installed it .
    107g for the 28T and 114 for the 30T so you just minus that off ya Shifter, shorter chain, Front Derailuer, 3 Chainrings & bolts and cable that you will be removing from the bike you get your predicted weight loss
    I'll let you all know once their ready to sell.
    Will also put up a review of the 30T one I'm using

Last edited by GazaTron; 09-01-2009 at 12:52 AM.

OHV Gansta
    My Mate that invented the widget is a qualified engineer who also owns a 9.3kg Mojo SL

Get out and ride

MPI
    mtbr member
    Nice "ibis" colors ;-). Have you tested how much abuse it can handle?

mtbr member
    Nice.... do you get chain rub through the range of gears at the back?

and will a closed up ring like that not cause alot of chainsuck as it is harder to keep the teeth clean?
    I am seriously considering going the 1X9 route on my mojo... already a 2X9 user ...

even better... what about 1X10 on the XX ?

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    Nice.... do you get chain rub through the range of gears at the back?

and will a closed up ring like that not cause alot of chainsuck as it is harder to keep the teeth clean?
    I am seriously considering going the 1X9 route on my mojo... already a 2X9 user ...

even better... what about 1X10 on the XX ?
    You get a very quiet amount of chain rub on the bottom 11t and the higher 34t but other than that it runs quiet. Chain line is pretty good still as the unit sits somewhere between the granny and normal middle ring would sit. No chain suck yet and have ridden in wet muddy conditions. The inner part is hollowed out so any build up of **** pushes through in a self cleaning affect.
    As far as how much a abuse it'll handle...... I've only being running it for a couple of weeks, havn't banged it on anything yet as I have heaps more clearance than normal triple chainring setup. The orange guide/guard is replacable if damage occurs it's just a matter of drilling the rivots and rivoting a new one on. Can also change colours this way.
    It made out of some strong as heat treated stainless (will find out the exact type) and my mates being running his one for the last 4mths and put about 1200kms on it and two chains. Not even a sign of wear on it
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Have never used this but looks interesting.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=32165

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE
    Have never used this but looks interesting.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=32165
    The paul won't work on the mojo because of the lower linkage being in the way. The part of the seattube that's shaped for a front der clamp is much higher than where a chainguide needs to mount. That's why I went with the MRP.

Members who have read this thread: 0