mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Value of WTF built?

How much of a deal is the WTF build?

If I were to just buy the frame and shock from Ibis, and then by the same components from my LBS or the internet, would that be more expensive?

The reason I am asking is I am considering a light build (~21lbs). There are some components in the WTF kit that are not my favorite (e.g. wheels, tires, grip, RD). But I could live with them if it is a great deal.

WTF Kit = $3900 (WTF price - Frame+shock)
    WTF parts MSRP = ????
    WTF parts typical Internet prices = ???? (That might be hard to get a precise number...)

I know, I could research and compute all of this manually, but if someone already has this info, I would appreciate.

Compared to SantaCruz, I think the Ibis kits are much less expensive for the same components (at least for XT build).

Thanks!

The MTB Lab
    Best deal is always the full kit, then deal with your LBS to swap stuff out. I am telling you thats a pretty sweet kit! Tires, grips, twist shifters, saddle are the main things I would change, those are more personal fittings things (except for the twist shifters)

I am in the biz so can't give you any numbers, sorry. I can tell it's a real pain (although fun) to get all the components elsewhere and try and wheel and deal, plus you need to add in shipping costs!

somewhat schizophrenic
    May 2008
    I did all of the manual computations using some of the online bike sites and could not come within $200 of the Ibis pricing...and that was "buying" a lot of last year's stuff on sale (I did this in Jan/Feb when there was still lots of '07 stock available). Add shipping on top of that. For the record, I was checking out SL and XT level builds, so I'm not sure how this would compare to WTF.

My recommendation is to blow an hour or two doing this on a slow day at work. The online build up sites make it easy by doing all of the calculation for you. If you are looking for some unique bling, you will have to do more searching/calculation on your own, of course.

mtbr member

online!!

I just did what you are thinking about doing. Bought the Mojo frame..(not SL) and then got all the parts online. You can get some serious deals on Ebay. Pricepoint, JensonUSA etc.
    My build consists of Talas RLC, XO triggers & RD. Race Face Next SL Cranks, HB and SP. Juicy Ultimates and Crossmax ST, Sella Italia Ti rail saddle. Time Atac Carbon pedals. Weighed in at 24.6 complete. Total cost was $5200 CDN. WTF build was $6500+tax (13% where I am) $7345.

Members who have read this thread: 0