V1 Ripley Resurrection?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

V1 Ripley Resurrection?

I been riding my V1 Ripley for years and absolutely love it!
    However. I just got a V1 Ripmo and if I don't sell it, it will be a backup
    bike.

It's a nice build - XT groupset and 928 wheelset - but am wondering what else I could do to it to make it a bit more progressive, besides adding a 140 Fork or an Angleset...LOL. I was thinking of changing my bars and stem to something else. I been riding the stock bars and stock 50mm stem since I had the bike.

Thanks Y'all

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    -Slacken it out a bit more:

https://www.reverse-components.com/e...-tapered-forks

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If I had just bought a Ripmo, I wouldn't worry about making it more progressive. If I had two bikes, I'd want maximum differentiation between them so that each had its advantages.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a V1 and an HD3. For me the V1 is now my XC and mileage bike. If I want to ride 20+ mi for fitness, I grab it. I also use it for 50mi races. I have it around 25lbs, no dropper and Pike fork. I could lose some weight, but I'm not going to podium.

I'd use it for what the V1 Ripley is now. A capable XC bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I have a V1 and an HD3. For me the V1 is now my XC and mileage bike. If I want to ride 20+ mi for fitness, I grab it. I also use it for 50mi races. I have it around 25lbs, no dropper and Pike fork. I could lose some weight, but I'm not going to podium.

I'd use it for what the V1 Ripley is now. A capable XC bike.
    I think I will do just that: use it as an XC bike.

Mine weighs about 25 too. Why no dropper?

Did you make any changes in terms of making it Slacker or leave it as is?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've a V2 OG Ripley and have put a -1.5 angleset on and recently changed the airshaft in the Fox 34 from 130 to 140 Evolve with no detriment in performance only benefits. Now wondering about that https://www.reverse-components.com/e...-tapered-forks to slacken a little more.

I use the bike for 20-40 mile rides with up to 6000 ft of climbing, I live in Wales, UK so 10 miles riding is roughly 1500-2000 foot of elevation so good to keep the climbing benefits of the bike especially when linking trails via road sections.

mtbr member

V1 Ripley Resurrection?

The most worthwhile upgrades for the v1 are 2d Works headset and a longer fatter fork. 130 Pike fork balanced the front/rear much better than 120, but haven’t tried 140. 12 speed is also a good upgrade to make it up to date. Wide rims are a must.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The answer really depends on the Ripmo. That has to be answered first, before you decide anything.

As mentioned, if you do end up keeping both, then I'd want more separation and I'd leave the Ripley alone or go more XC. The OG I handed down to my son has a SC 34 on it.

if it ends up your only bike, then look at 140mm upfront with a Angle set or look for an LS frame and move stuff over. I'm pretty happy with the LS after having a OG.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The answer really depends on the Ripmo. That has to be answered first, before you decide anything.

As mentioned, if you do end up keeping both, then I'd want more separation and I'd leave the Ripley alone or go more XC. The OG I handed down to my son has a SC 34 on it.

if it ends up your only bike, then look at 140mm upfront with a Angle set or look for an LS frame and move stuff over. I'm pretty happy with the LS after having a OG.
    I'm probably going to sell it to my brother, he was bugging me about it the other day.

It's nice to have a backup bike though. Maybe, I'll find something else as a backup.

I appreciate everyone's input on this!