mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Upgrade my Mojo SL or get the new Mojo HD

I've had the Mojo SL for last 2 yrs with the DT Swiss XCR shock an DT Swiss 150 EXC forks . The bike has been fantastic but I'm now finding my riding has progressed and I am wanting a little more stability with the rocky and technical descents.
    I am considering changing the shock to the new RP23 with Boost and the fork to a 2011 Fox Talas 36 ( 120mm -160mm ) . I'm not to worried about the extra pound or so in weight for better performance downhill. Does anyone have any experience with this set up or should I just sell the SL and go for the new Mojo HD 160mm ( alot more bucks and an extra 2lbs in weight over my current bike ).
    I welcome help in making my decision

T.W.O.
    I have the Mojo so the decision was easy for me, I ordered HD, since the added weight is only 0.4lbs, and I do have the option to stay at 140mm.

Of course, going to HD I'd opt to go with bigger/heavier fork but it should worth every ounces.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Both good options, but different

When I was deciding on a bike, I tried a set up very similar to what you are considering. I rode the Mojo c both bone stock (it already had the new RP23), and then swapped out the fork and front wheel combo for the 2010 36Van off my other bike.

The Mojo with the longer fork was quite good, IMHO. I didn't give up anywhere near as much as I expected in climbing, and I appreciated the stiffer, longer travel on the downhill. The bike didn't feel particularly unbalanced. I found it slightly 'skittish' at very high speeds through chunder, but I was coming off a coil all the way around Nomad, which is more of a mini DH bike built the way I had it.

Ultimately I settled on the HD. It has proven to be a great choice for me, and the riding here. It is very different from the Mojo c, even with the longer fork. It is more stable at speed, but also simply has more of a 'big bike' feel. I found the geometry more to my liking. But as I say, the Mojo c with the longer fork was quite good.

One of my riding buddies ended up buying a Mojo c after i demoed it, and he loves it. I will say, I definitely appreciate how snappy that bike is for trail riding. But when it is steep, or big, the HD wins out for me.

mtbr member
    Go HD140, check out my review on it, perfect compromise

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    IMO - The only reason I would choose the SL over the HD 140 or HD is if I only owned one bike and I had to do a fair amount of xc racing. I only own a regular Mojo, which I have built a bit on the stronger heavier side. I would love an HD for 95 percent of my riding, but it would definitely be a penalty for xc racing. If I got even a cheap hardtail, I would absolutely go with the HD.

Members who have read this thread: 0