Happy when not-last.

types of riding, sag ammounts, etc

The manual recommends 10-13 mm sag for XC riding and 13-15 for "more aggressive" riding.

If you're riding more aggressively, wouldn't you want more pressure so you don't bottom out on the larger hits?

Along the same lines, what advantages does the DHX offer for more freeride oriented riding over the RP23?
    Last edited by MinskyBA; 06-19-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    All your base are belong to ME.

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    hey MinskyBA, answer kinda the same as the other thread..."u can manage bottom out with a combination of increased air pressure and adjust the air volume down by adding mass directly into the air chamber with a couple of 50mm x 2mm O rings... u can air up 2 match your weight with gear on and then start adjusting air volume down 2 get back 2 proper sag...other options r 2 slow down...or speed up and hop the whole dang thang...that's 1 hard hit your setting up 4....b careful..."
    Last edited by Tread Mark; 06-20-2008 at 04:16 AM.
    tread lightly...earth is our playground

Happy when not-last.
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I have seen the similar answers recently in the posts, that's what got me to thinking about it. I'm more asking why you would want less air for bigger hits, rather than asking how to set up properly. I'm just curious: it seems backwards.
    All your base are belong to ME.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Typically more aggressive riding means that you are going faster cornering over obstacles. A little more sag and less mid stroke spring is going to let your suspension act with more compliance and therefore more traction. You will still have plenty of bottom out resistance either way.

If you are an advanced tuner, you can do as Tread Mark said and add mass to the air chamber to increase end travel spring ramp. A DHX Air can work but only with the small air can from the RP23. The large volume air can on the DHX does not match up well with the Mojo's leverage rate curve (which was designed to provide a linear, coil spring like wheel rate with the standard size air can). The DHX has the ability to give an end travel spring and damping increase for really aggressive use. The Iron Horse Sunday was actually the first bike that I am aware of to take advantage of that damper trait and turn it into an advantage.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Members who have read this thread: 0