650b me

Traveling with a Tranny

I'm very interested in the Tranny. But, I want to know more about taking one on an airplane. What size container can one fit into, properly broken down? How much money will it save me per flight vs the standard bike container fee? Is anyone making a container just for the Tranny, or can anyone recommend a container or suitcase that works particularly well for taking a Tranny on a plane? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tranny Travel

The thread referenced by Ianthom and the other thread in that thread cover it very well. I have a Ritchey and and S & S. The S & S is a hard case so a lot beefier. The Ritchey is nice, maybe a good choice if you don't travel much.
    The more you pack them, the faster you'll get at it.
    For a full sized bike box I've recently I've been charged as little as $0 (Southwest with a full fare ticket), $50 (Southwest with an advance purchase cheap ticket) and $75 (United a year ago maybe), $175 (United) and have heard of $250 per flight on United. Why the randomness I don't know, but I've also checked in once where a guy was being a prick to the ticketing agent and got charged for a bike, I was the next person in line and was really nice and didn't get charged for my bike.
    I've managed to skate under the radar with the Ritchey and S & S box, just paying the $25 baggage fee that airlines charge. Keep it under 50 lbs and you'll raise fewer eyebrows.
    Again, those other threads are very good.
    scot

650b me
    Thanks, Scot & ianthom. Please excuse my laziness for not searching the forum first. After I posted, I found that other thread last night and it is full of good information. People packin' Mojos....Wow!

Hey Scot, I'm lovin' the new website. I was so impressed with Chris McNally's illustrations that I've ordered two of them!

The MTB Lab
    The S&S box is the best, it's rugged and gets under the radar for maximum baggage size (26x26x10), and never tell them it's a bike, it's bike parts! And like Chuck said, keep it under 50 lbs!

http://www.gramslightbikes.com/2009/...with-bike.html

Members who have read this thread: 0