Travel Bag for Ripmo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Travel Bag for Ripmo

Getting ready to buy a Bike Travel Bag. Anyone have experience traveling/flying with the Ripmo that can suggest a bag? Is the Evoc Pro overkill?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I guess it depends on how much and how far you're planning to travel.

I've had a standard Evoc bag for many years, since 2013 in fact. It's seen lots of places, many international trips out of Australia and most recently a trip down to Tassie with the Ripmo. It was the first time the Ripmo went into the bag and thankfully my Large just made it in, would have been very interesting had I bought an XL frame!

The hardest part was actually getting the wheels in, running SC Reserve 30's with Continental Der Baron and Trail King, both 2.4". In the end it took deflating them almost all the way (risking the bead popping off, thankfully they stayed on) and using a tyre lever to bring the bag around the tread.

I think the Evoc Pro has slightly larger wheel-bag areas, but don't quote me on that.

I read a review a while back of someone using the Evoc XL (designed for Fat Bikes) on larger frame, might be something worth looking into if you're buying new.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You can let the air out of your shock and fork to get the bigger frames in the standard evoc bags, but yes the 29er tyres are painful to get inside.

I've been using the standard bag for years as well and they are excellent, if I was buying again I'd get the pro for the extra room.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have a Evoc pro and it works well. Deflating the tires is a given and once you do there are zero problems getting a 2.5" in. The frame base on the pro is very nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've used the Chain Reaction Pro Bike Bag with my Ripmo and it works really well and it's pretty inexpensive.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Own the Thule Roundtrip Traveller (cheaper of the 2 softsides they make) and it fits a LG ripmo acceptably. I spin the fork around and de-air it which isn't mandatory but keeps it more compact. Bigger tires fit at lower PSI. Weight of the case is under 20lbs so keeping the bag weight under 50lbs is no issue - other bags it's a challenge but importance of that all depends on location/airline/etc

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have used the Dakine bike bag and it was pretty easy. Plenty of room for a large Ripmo!