mtbr member

Tranny Travel questions?

Sorry for a ton of questions but I have always wanted a Tranny and with a two week trip coming up next year to Italy I wanted to get any feedback from anyone who has one:

Has anyone had any experience with a tranny going overseas? Shipping costs etc
    Have you been charged extra for the packaging of the bike?
    What kind of case do you use?
    Any other feedback worth mentioning?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    big fan of the s and s cases...http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm
    I have taken my tranny (and even my mojo!) in the soft cases these guys make on plane trips, in fact I managed to get my mojo, helmet, shoes and two sets of riding gear into one, and still be under the 32kg limit!
    these cases are standard size on most airlines, and thus you won't have to pay excess baggage fees (check the airline)
    I went for the soft case for weight/portability and with some careful packing have had no problems...i got it at ebikestop.com and it was a bit cheaper than going direct through the manufacturer
    hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Thank you for the feedback- I appreciate it.

Do you feel like the soft case offers enough protection?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Depends on how you pack it I spose, and what "enough protection"means to you...
    as I said, I wrapped my bike in all my clothes, taped up fragile bits etc...and it did a trip from australia to canad (quite a way!) with no probs! I also liked the fact that when I got to my destination it packed away so small
    I suppose it comes down to the following equation-
    hard case is more expensive, harder to store but offers much better protection
    soft case is cheaper and easier to backpack with, but is still not neccesarrily going to protect you
    My bikes were also insured when i travelled, which helps with peace of mind- at the end of the day its up to you, just make sure you measure up before you get the hard case, as there is no flex as there is with the soft ones...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    there's this thread about packing a Mojo and related info (issue of soft bags for wheel, follow the links)... wish I coudl still find one for $50+ship...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=368222

Members who have read this thread: 0