Thread: Tranny sizing

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Tranny sizing

I am about to order a new tranny frame but need some help with the sizing.

I am 5'10" and can't decide between medium and large.

Please post your height and frame size.

Thought it may be worth mentioning that I want the bike for XC use. I ride a medium Flux (23.3 tt), a medium one9 (23.75 tt) and a 19" RM Blizzard (23.42 tt) so as you can see I sit between the twojust can't decide wether to go smaller and fit a longer stem 100mm? or larger and a shorter stem maybe 80mm? The wheelbase off the large looks closer to my other bikes.
    Last edited by adyxc; 09-28-2009 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've had the same problem with many other brands. I'm 5'7" and prefer a 22.6 TT with a 90mm stem. The geo on the med. (22.8 TT) Tranny is almost spot on for me with an 85mm stem. It looks like you are right in between. I think the best solution for your situation is comfort. I'll use the MTB sizing catch phrase "test ride both and pick the one that fits YOU best". But I know Trannys are hard to come by, and I doubt your LBS has both sizes in stock to try. My opion is if you are aiming at flat climbs, speedy singletrack, and don't mind being streatched out abit, get the large. But if you want "flickability and response", get the med. Unless you think you would feel cramped in the med, I would go for the med.

aka übermensch
    I'm 5' 9" and was poised to purchase a large. With my torso and reach, I would have been comfortable on a large with a slightly shorter stem than I currently run. Since I was still somewhat on the fence, I had the owner of the LBS where I bought my Mojo SL contact Ibis for me.

What I was told was "If you want tight, crisp handling, get the medium. If you want it to handle like a jeep, get the large."

I went with the medium.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am 5.10 and the M is my size, 90mm stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm 5' 6" and riding a medium with a Thomson 100 mm stem....go figure.

Members who have read this thread: 0