Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread

Kinda surprised we still don't have and official thread (mods can you sticky this?). I guess I'll start:

Med Tranny 29 in Black/Blue
    Drive Train: Sram XO 10sp 2x (will be converting to 1x in the near future) with NS Billet Spider
    Fork: Pike 29 RTC3 set at 120mm
    Brakes: Formula RX1/O
    Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
    Handlebar: Easton Haven Carbon
    Seatpost: Giant Contact SL (will be putting my Reverb Stealth on soon)
    Saddle: Specialized Henge
    Wheelset:
    29r: Velocity Blunt SL w/ BHS hubs and Sapim Lasers and Schwalbe NN and RR
    27.5+: LB 35mm Hoodless with Hope 40t HUbs with WTB Trail Boss 3.0 and Trailblazer 2.8

I've only got an around the block ride on the 27.5+ setup since I'm finishing up my Ripley LS build but so far I like it. BB height dropped to 12.1" from the 12.5" with my Blunt SS wheelset. The Trail Boss measures out at 2.8" and the Trailblazer on 2.5" on the 35mm rims, I was expecting that based on the Trailblazer thread on the 27.5+ forum. Will give it a good thrashing this weekend. I sold my Fat bike fairly soon after I bought it but I'm thinking this will be a blast to ride.
    27.5+

29r (Shown with Stans Crests)
    Last edited by Ramjm_2000; 11-11-2015 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member

Trans-Fat QuasiMoto

Nice Idea. My Tranny 29 has been through quite a few iterations. Started as a Special Blend, but the current build is B9er+:

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_6164.jpg

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_6163.jpg

Med Tranny 29 in Black/Blue
    Drive Train: Shimano XT 10sp 1x with OneUp 42t cog and RADr cage
    Fork: 2016 Fox 34 FiT4 120mm 27.5+
    Brakes: Shimano Deore (w/ icetech pads and rotors 203/160)
    Stem: Easton EA50
    Handlebar: Easton EC70
    Seatpost: Easton EC70 (going to buy a 9point8 Fall Line)
    Saddle: Stock Ibis, sometimes Adamo Peak
    Cranks: Shimano XT (old 3x cranks)
    Chainring: 28t Wolftooth dropstop
    Wheelset:
    29er: WTB i25 w/ SLX hubs. Vredestein Bobcat 2.35 up front, Nobby Nic 2.35 in back (not pictured)
    B9er+:
    Front: 29" WTB Asym i35 on Hope Boost Hub w/ Panaracer Fat B Nimble 29x3.0
    Rear: 27.5 WTB Asym i35 on Deore Hub w/ Trailblazer 2.8

I love the way the bike rides with the 29+ front and 27.5+ rear. The bike feels so dialed now the only things it needs are a dropper and carbon wheels. I will probably pick up some Nextie or LB hoops soon and build up a new set, since the Asym is a little heavy, and the Deore rear hub was never really meant to be the final part for the bike. Still waiting to see what Ibis announces for the new rear triangle before I commit to buying a Hope rear hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nice bikes. Any ideas how much either of those weighs with wheels and all?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I love all these crazy tranny builds!! Please keep us updated on the ride with the 27.5 plus... I have my setup as a 29er but I think a set of 741 with super wide tires is calling my name. I just need some motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'll weigh it this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
    Nice bikes. Any ideas how much either of those weighs with wheels and all?
    Thanks.
    My bike in its current form tips the scales at 26.5 lbs. That includes my high power LED and battery, which I leave on all winter for night riding. Once I swap out to carbon hoops and drop the light it will probably be around 25. I don't have a particularly lightweight component set, but I can only really feel a pound of bike if it's in the wheels.

As for ride impressions, I wrote some in the Tranny 27.5+ thread. In brief, 27.5 plus was the most fun I have ever had on a bike. Then I put a new Fox 34 and went 29+ in the front and that raised the bar even higher. Both technical climbing and descending are significantly faster and more fun for me. I also set records on tight twisty sections thanks to the extra cornering grip. Worked great for me in dry dust as well as packed wet clay and wet rocks. YMMV, but I love +size and can't wait to try some of the new tires that are coming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cyanidecowboy View Post
    I don't have a particularly lightweight component set, but I can only really feel a pound of bike if it's in the wheels.
    Same here, just wanted to get a general idea of Tranny weight vs carbon hardtail I ride.

Then I put a new Fox 34 and went 29+ in the front and that raised the bar even higher. Both technical climbing and descending are significantly faster and more fun for me. I also set records on tight twisty sections thanks to the extra cornering grip. Worked great for me in dry dust as well as packed wet clay and wet rocks. YMMV, but I love +size and can't wait to try some of the new tires that are coming.
    That sounds like fun. I need to check my hardtail to see if there's room for 29+. That's something I'd like to try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
    That sounds like fun. I need to check my hardtail to see if there's room for 29+. That's something I'd like to try.
    Yea, I think getting a 29+ on the front depends a lot on your fork. The Fox 27.5+ clears 29x3 easily, I also am going to try it on a Magura TS8 R, which has pretty good tire clearance. From what I have read the regular XC forks from Fox/RS/Manitou can't clear 29x3, but I haven't tried myself.

As for frame weight, the Tranny isn't the lightest carbon hardtail out there, but I dont really mind. Its a bit overbuilt for a pure XC bike (compared to something like a Stumpjumper HT) and as a result I feel comfortable thrashing it in more Trail/AM style riding with a 120mm fork.

For ref: 29x3 Fat B Nimble on Fox 34 27.5+Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_6165.jpg

mtbr member
    I weighed mine this morning. 26lbs 3oz.,par with my Ripley LS. I'll probably drop 1lbs. Converting to 1x and swapping the Contact SL dropper to my reverb Stealth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This may be the wrong thread for this question, but i try

Realy like the Tranny and i have been back and forth between it, Niner Air 9 RDO and the Yeti ARC, for replacing my current Niner.
    I have been realy happy with it, but when bying an new frame it's alrigth to try someting new.
    I enjoy riding an HT qause of the presise and stout ride, so i have a bit of consern regarding the Tranny.
    I have read a couple review where frame stiffness has been commented, saying that the Tranny had a bit of flex, without making it clear what part of the bike felt flexy.

Do someone have a comment to this, and maybe a comparison to other HT's?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    In my opinion the Tranny is stiff in all the right places. I went from a steel 45650b and Singular Buzzard HT prior to the Tranny and the Tranny is by far the most comfortable of the three.

mtbr member
    Bump to re-sticky

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikno View Post
    This may be the wrong thread for this question, but i try

Realy like the Tranny and i have been back and forth between it, Niner Air 9 RDO and the Yeti ARC, for replacing my current Niner.
    I have been realy happy with it, but when bying an new frame it's alrigth to try someting new.
    I enjoy riding an HT qause of the presise and stout ride, so i have a bit of consern regarding the Tranny.
    I have read a couple review where frame stiffness has been commented, saying that the Tranny had a bit of flex, without making it clear what part of the bike felt flexy.

Do someone have a comment to this, and maybe a comparison to other HT's?

Thanks in advance.
    With my experience the Tranny feels very stiff but compliant in the rear. It really takes the edge off a lot of teeth rattling vibrations with the small seat stays.
    I just switched a bunch of parts to turn it into a cross country race bike and will be posting up some pictures soon. It is now under 20 pounds.

mtbr member
    Nice...pics a must.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Is the 2.8" 27.5 the biggest rear tire size that will fit the standard Tranny frame? Anybody know? Also, anybody know how wide of a 29" rear tire will fit? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Back to basics with this one.
    XL Tranny 29
    SS belt drive
    Enve fork and bars
    Thomson cockpit
    Chris King turquoise hubs and headset
    Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Tranny 29ers rock, I love my Grey one. Are my eyes deceiving me or does your Tranny have a dropper post on it? Seems odd to have one with SS and rigid fork?

mtbr member
    Yep it's a dropper. I'm transitioning from riding a Bronson. The thought of riding the trails around me without one was intimidating. Plus I might end up putting a 120mm up front at some point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner View Post
    Yep it's a dropper. I'm transitioning from riding a Bronson. The thought of riding the trails around me without one was intimidating. Plus I might end up putting a 120mm up front at some point.
    Nice. Great looking build. Have fun. I love my Ripley, Tranny 29er and Mojo 3. I guess you'd say I am a fanboi of Ibis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Been dreaming about building a super light belt-driven SS for a while, so I finally pulled the trigger and built my dream single speed.

Build:

Frame: Ibis Tranny 29, XL orange
    Fork: 2017 RS SID 100 RLC
    Headset: King I3 black
    Spacers: Black alloy 20mm under, 5mm over stem
    Stem: Enve MTN 40mm
    Bar: Enve RSR
    Grips: Rogue Lock-On with Orange clamps
    Brakes: SRAM Lever Ultimates w/ 20mm P/P front adaptor
    Rotors: SRAM Centerline X 2-piece 180/160
    Seatpost: Reverb Stealth, 31.6mm x 440mm x 150mm drop, ‘lever’ under bar on left side
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom Pro, 143mm black
    Seat Clamp: Ibis bolt on
    Pedals: RF Atlas, black
    Crankset: RF SixC, 175mm black w/ 104bcd Cinch spider
    Bottom Bracket: RF bb92 Cinch
    Chainring: Gates 104 x 39t
    Chainring Bolts: RF alloy/steel
    Chain: Gates Carbon Drive CDX belt 111t
    Gear: Gates CDX 22t
    Front Hub: i9 Torch Classic 6-bolt, black, 32h
    Rear Hub: i9 Torch Classic SS 6-bolt, black, 32h
    Rims: Ibis 935 carbon, 32h
    Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray, bladed black
    Nipples: Sapim Polyax Black Alloy
    Front Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nick, EVO 2.35
    Rear Tire: Schwalbe Rock Razor EVO 2.35

Total weight: 22.24lbs

Pics:

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_2327.jpg

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_2328.jpg

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_2329.jpg

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_2330.jpg

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_2331.jpg

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_2332.jpg

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_2333.jpg

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_2335.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread

Great pics and nice build, thanks for sharing. Love the orange.
    I'm gonna try and get some pictures of mine up tomorrow.
    The bike is a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat View Post
    Been dreaming about building a super light belt-driven SS for a while, so I finally pulled the trigger and built my dream single speed.

Build:

Frame: Ibis Tranny 29, XL orange
    Fork: 2017 RS SID 100 RLC
    Headset: King I3 black
    Spacers: Black alloy 20mm under, 5mm over stem
    Stem: Enve MTN 40mm
    Bar: Enve RSR
    Grips: Rogue Lock-On with Orange clamps
    Brakes: SRAM Lever Ultimates w/ 20mm P/P front adaptor
    Rotors: SRAM Centerline X 2-piece 180/160
    Seatpost: Reverb Stealth, 31.6mm x 440mm x 150mm drop, ‘lever’ under bar on left side
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom Pro, 143mm black
    Seat Clamp: Ibis bolt on
    Pedals: RF Atlas, black
    Crankset: RF SixC, 175mm black w/ 104bcd Cinch spider
    Bottom Bracket: RF bb92 Cinch
    Chainring: Gates 104 x 39t
    Chainring Bolts: RF alloy/steel
    Chain: Gates Carbon Drive CDX belt 111t
    Gear: Gates CDX 22t
    Front Hub: i9 Torch Classic 6-bolt, black, 32h
    Rear Hub: i9 Torch Classic SS 6-bolt, black, 32h
    Rims: Ibis 935 carbon, 32h
    Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray, bladed black
    Nipples: Sapim Polyax Black Alloy
    Front Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nick, EVO 2.35
    Rear Tire: Schwalbe Rock Razor EVO 2.35

Total weight: 22.24lbs
    Just perfect! Lovely color too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    -Large Tranny 29
    -Rcokshox Reba 100mm
    -I9 Torch Trail wheels with a Chris King 20T
    -Maxxis Ikon 2.35
    -Raceface Next SL cranks with a 32T ring
    -Chris King headset and BB
    -Thomson stem and post
    -Truvativ T30 bar
    -XT brakes W/ Ice Tech rotors
    -Ergon saddle and grips

The bike weighs in at just a shade over 22 pounds with the extra tube, levers, and pump on the saddle. I have never been on a better climbing faster accelerating easy pedaling bike in my life. I love this thing!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-tranny.jpg

Just picked up my new tranny 29 from the shop. LBS able to match JensenUSA deal. I almost bought this frame 3 or 4 times over the past two years. The discount made the decision easier. My reasoning for the tranny was two fold. One, I LOVE the x-fusion trace 29er fork and have used it on two of my other bikes. At 210lbs, I found 32mm stanchion forks a bit flexy. The trace is cost effective, 34mm stanchions and available in a non tapered version. It is also quite plush. I would say 90 percent of fox performance at 65% of the price.

However, I have been putting it on my old geometry 29ers that were desgined around 80mm forks. This made the geometry waaaaay slack and created some fit issues. This was the case whether it was my bilenky, astrik rook or Trek Superfly. Enough. The tranny seems to be designed for 120mm travel.

Secondly I occasionally travel and love to bring my bike with me. I have no intention of retiring the Bilenky, at 26lbs still competitive. But just in case, the capability of removing the rear triangle on the tranny was appealing.

Mostly XT, some cost saving origin 8 parts and light and strong atomik rims. Update in a few months!

Just Ride!
    The Fox 27.5+ clears 29x3 easily, I also am going to try it on a Magura TS8 R, which has pretty good tire clearance.
    Can you confirm that the 29x3 will fit Magura TS8 R? Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Can you confirm that the 29x3 will fit Magura TS8 R? Thanks for the help!
    I had a 29x3.0 Panaracer Fat-B-Nimble mounted up WTB Asym i35 rims on my 29” TS8 R for a while, it fit pretty well, but you could buzz the tire on hard cornering due to the fork and wheel flex. I eventually moved away from the setup because I wasn’t that happy with the performance of the TS8 compared to the Fox 34, which also had more clearance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Can anybody help me locate an XL tranny frame for 29''? In orange or blue color PLEASE?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Best color ever

Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    -Large Tranny 29
    -Rcokshox Reba 100mm
    -I9 Torch Trail wheels with a Chris King 20T
    -Maxxis Ikon 2.35
    -Raceface Next SL cranks with a 32T ring
    -Chris King headset and BB
    -Thomson stem and post
    -Truvativ T30 bar
    -XT brakes W/ Ice Tech rotors
    -Ergon saddle and grips

The bike weighs in at just a shade over 22 pounds with the extra tube, levers, and pump on the saddle. I have never been on a better climbing faster accelerating easy pedaling bike in my life. I love this thing!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thought I should add in my build since this thread and https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/tranny-29er-920140.html were instrumental in making decisions on some parts for mine.

-XL Tranny 29 in Matte Black/Blue
    -Fork: 2020 Fox 34 Float Factory SC 120mm w/ 51mm rake
    -Headset: Works Components -1* Angle
    -Stem: Ibis 3D Forged 80mm
    -Bars: Niner RDO 780mm
    -Grips: Race Face Half Nelson
    -Rear Wheel: Specialized Roval Control SL -22mm internal
    -Front Wheel: Niner XC Carbon Boost hub -24mm internal
    -Tires: Vittoria Mezcal TNT 2.25 and 2.35
    -Brakes: Shimano Deore XT M8000 w/ 160mm and 180mm IceTech rotors
    -Bottom Bracket: Hope PF41 to GXP
    -Crankset: SRAM Eagle X01 GXP
    -Gates Carbon Drive setup: 46T Front Ring w/ SRAM X0 2x Spider, 28T Rear CDX:SL Aluminum Sprocket, and 118T belt
    -Seatpost: Race Face Next SL Carbon post
    -Bottle Cage: Specialized Zee Cage II
    -Seat: Specialized Phenom Expert 155m
    -Pedals: Shimano XTR PD-M9000

Currently Weighs in at 21.2 lbs
    So far everything is pretty dialed in to my liking. May also add in a dropper post at some point, but for now on the trails around here on the Front range I am managing.

Added in the Works -1* Angle headset. It's a subtle but nice change to the bike. More stable on the downhill without much change to it's lively climbing nature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_0556.jpg  

Tranny 29 Picture and Build Thread-img_0841.jpg  

Last edited by ShadowofBob; 06-15-2020 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member

Still Loving Mine...

Use it as my Travel Gravel/XC Bike. @21.9lbs with pedals, Di2 and yes, with a triple