mtbr member
    Aug 2010

We the people ... Tires that fit the Mojo HD

So, as has been mentioned in the HD seat tube rube [sic] thread, there are definite limits to what tires will fit on the Mojo HD. In the original thread, Hans pointed out that the 'theoretical' limit is a tire & wheel with a 685 mm nominal diameter.

In speaking with Hans about the rub I am getting (thanks again!), he suggested that it would be useful to have a thread where people measured the tire / rim combination they are using, so we could have a list of what fits. This is probably useful to other people as well.

As anyone who has ever bought tires (or tyres for those from the UK/Europe/Ontario), there is wild variation between and within manufacturers, and absolutely no standardization in measurement.

What I can say, definitively, is that Kenda Nevegal 2.35 UST/DTC doesn't fit. I measured them at 683mm (sorry Hans, I made a mistake when I measured them last night, so told you otherwise today), so clearly there is a little variance between theoretical and actual. For methodology, I used a level from the top of the tire, and measured to the ground at the axle.

For interest sake, I measured a couple of other tire/rim combos I have around home as well. All the particulars are posted below.

So please, if you have an HD, and a tire/rim combo that works, please post it up. Ideally, it would be best if everyone included the measurements to avoid the inevitable "I ran that combo with no trouble" debate, which is really more about shock set up, rider weight and style, etc.

Adam at Ibis also pointed out that rim width will effect tire profile, so also useful to know what rim you are running, and the width.

Tire/size/rim/width - diameter

Kenda Nevegal UST/DTC / 2.35 / Crank Bros Iodine / 21mm internal - 683 mm
    Maxxis High Roller maxxpro / 2.5 / Sun Rhyno Lite / 29.2 mm external - 675 mm
    Maxxis Minion DHF 42 duro / 2.35 / Sun MTX / 34 mm external - 675 mm
    Maxxis Minion DHF 42 duro / 2.5 / CB Iodine / 21 mm internal - 689 mm

So, what do run?
    Last edited by victoreremita; 09-25-2010 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Excellent...

I'll add some measurements tomorrow and once we've got a pretty good selection we can compile it and put it somewhere easy to find.

Thanks for starting this up.

H

MPI
    mtbr member
    My combo was and is Conti RQ UST / 2.4 / Mavic 819 / 19mm internal / Dunno about dia.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    May 2004

Wtfwtt?

I am sure IBIS will get this right, but it falls under the "WTF Were They Thinking?" Category:
    a 160mm bike that cannot take a 2.35 Nevegal?
    Yeti ASR-7 has the same issue.

Glad I don't have either of these bikes, as I won't run anything smaller than a high-volume 2.4 (ie: bigger than the Kenda 2.35, think RubberQueen/Trail King/Schwalbe/Maxxis newer stuff).

So, Hans, after you compile a list of what works/doesn't work, what are you going to do going forward? Put a disclaimer on the product info page, or re-engineer something?

edit:Of course, I realize that tire height is a complete function of the variable inputs - rim selection being a major one (as well as tire/mfg tolerances, pressure, etc).

I don't see how PSI/weight/suspension setup has ANYTHING to do with this - seems that either all frames would rub under full travel or they won't - with the same tire/rim combo. If you aren't getting full travel, then you aren't setting it up right.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 09-21-2010 at 06:11 AM.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I'm running Crank Bros. Iodines with Continental Rubber Queen UST 2.4's. No idea of measurements, I just know that they do not rub and are a great combo on my HD.
    I'm 170 pounds.
    150psi in RP23 shock.

Homer's problem child
    DT Swiss EX1750 wheels (5.1 rims) on a large HD
    Maxxis DHF EXO 2.5 60A rear, 3C front
    210 lbs rider, ~200 psi in shock, stock RP23

No rub.

Also ran a Specialized Chunder 2-bliss for a while, it was a 2.3 but is big, bigger than the 2.5 Maxxis DHF. No rub on that tire either. I liked the tire, it's a high volume Maxxis High Roller clone with dual compound rubber. Just prefer the DHF's, especially the 3C EXO's

I bottom my shock regularly, o-ring at or off the end (but it's never harsh). Use my HD primarily as my "trail" bike. But a lot of our "trail" rides have gap jumps and drops. Taking the bike to my annual Moab in 2 weeks and it will see some drops to flat and chunk for sure.

I think people are crazy that run the huge tires on the rear, especially on narrow rims like 819's... But that's just my opinion...

BY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen

I think people are crazy that run the huge tires on the rear, especially on narrow rims like 819's... But that's just my opinion...
    Hey BY-
    Glad to see you are on another rig - I have watched from afar, but chiming in here.

Anyways, I can see the +/- to running big tires...now, I'll say that IF I had the opportunity in Austin to ride more fast/smoothish trails like some of those found in UT/CO, then I might be more inclined to run a smaller rear tire. The reason that many in my group and others around Austin ride high volume tires is for that tractor effect - they are great for gripping in off camber/rocky/SLOW speed events. Much of our climbing (which is all the time) is that kind of climbing, so traction wins every time. I have no problems with tires rolling over in turns or hard cornering, because we just don't have that many situations where you are hitting something hot enough to make that happen. Sure, there are trails out here where that is more possible, but they are really the CX-bike appropriate XC type trails, not where we ride.

That being said, I think any 6" travel bike should be park-able, which usually means a good set of meat!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Hey BY-
    Glad to see you are on another rig - I have watched from afar, but chiming in here.
    Thanks! Yeah, I've been on a few sleds in the last 3-4 years... Terremoto, Sultan, Intense SS and now the HD, most with overlap, had the Moto and Sultan, Sultan and SS at the same time.

...fast/smoothish trails like some of those found in UT/CO, then I might be more inclined to run a smaller rear tire...
    Yeah, that's pertty much all our trails...

This trail is actually at about 9800 ft in Northern Utah, not Moab. I'd say we have a mix of everything, smooth and fast as well as chattery and rough, often on the same ride. Then we also have St. George, Brian Head and Moab for chunk and slow speed techy climbing, but for every low speed climb out here there is a fast chunky descent usually.

That being said, I think any 6" travel bike should be park-able, which usually means a good set of meat!
    I agree somewhat and in some situations. I just find personally I get a ride I like better in the places I ride with a good 2.35-2.5 (Maxxis 2.5) rear tire with a good rubber compound and a well tuned rear suspension. I just find the bigger rear tires squirmy and less predictable often times. I find the biggest improvement with "big" tires to be as fronts during moondust season here where float and grip are key, but not really so much in the rear. I also think of bike parks as being a bit smoother and faster, not where I'd want a big squirmy tire when pushing hard into berms and off camber turns at speed.

Different horses for different courses... For me the tire rub issue is not an issue on my HD. Just throwing that out there for others to see.

BY

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

We the people ... Thanks all...

Thanks to all who have posted thus far. It would really be great, however, to have some measurements to see what works. Really, all you need is a straight edge (a level works great) and a tape measure.

As an edit to my original post, I should add that the difference between the 683 mm I measured and the 685 mm theoretical max is about 0.5%, and I would estimate measurement error at about 2%, so I would call that over tolerance.

In case you don't love metric...
    685mm = 26 31/32 inches
    683mm = 26 7/8 inches
    675mm = 26 9/16 inches

@boardguru: I would be indebted to you if you would take a quick measurement of the total diameter of your set up, this is exactly what I would like to run.

@CharacterZero: I agree, in ideal circumstances rider weight/style, PSI, suspension set up have nothing to do with whether or not a tire hits or not. But all of those things do affect whether or not a rider will bottom out the suspension, so I am simply trying to control as many variables as possible.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have been running a:

Mavic EX721 rim
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 3C (DH casing)
    standard tube off the shelf

And I get a little rub on bottom-out. To be fair, for whatever reason the 2.4 Maxxis DH casing is slightly bigger than their 2.5 (wtf?). I suspect a 2.5 High Roller would fit, but haven't tried yet.

I don't mind the rub to be honest. Now I have this sweet patch of raw nude carbon on my seattube.

rockhound
    Jul 2007
    I ran Nevegal 2.35 on Stan's Flow rim (or the standard XT kit setup for the HD) with DHX Air shock without tire rub. But that might be a function of how the shock is setup and my rider weight --> 140 psi main and 140 psi on the boost valve with a 150 lb rider. I rode features such as the big boulder drop on Boondocks at Northstar without any trouble. I set up the shock so that it used every inch of travel without HARSH bottom out.

But I've switched to Continental Trail King 2.2 with black chili, which also worked on the trails at Northstar. Even though it is a narrower tire, it had better traction, and still felt good going off the large drops and step-down jump at Northstar.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    At 6:30 in the morning here (Utah) the tape measure reads 27 inches. I haven't had any issues with rubbing, or not enough clearance in two months of riding this combo.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rb
    To be fair, for whatever reason the 2.4 Maxxis DH casing is slightly bigger than their 2.5 (wtf?). I suspect a 2.5 High Roller would fit, but haven't tried yet.

I don't mind the rub to be honest. Now I have this sweet patch of raw nude carbon on my seattube.
    When Maxxis introduced the Ardent and Advantage, the casings are much more true-to-size than the previous offerings, being higher in volume and width.
    There were no plans to revamp the old tread patterns (high roller, minion, larsen, etc) with the new casing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Interesting

Thanks, Boardguru for measuring, I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Homer's problem child
    Took some measurements:

Maxxis DHF EXO 2.5 60A rear, 3C front

26.625" to 26.75" (676 - 679 mm) on a partially worn tire. Figure a new 2.5 DHF EXO tire is just under 27", around 680-682 mm.

210 lbs rider, ~200 psi in shock (don't really go by psi, go by sag ~35% as my shock guage sucks), stock RP23, no rub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

anyone?

I'd like to see this thread resurrected. I am in the market for a faster and higher volume rear tire (just because) and am wondering what my options are. I'm thinking Nobby Nic's or Trail Kings or Ardent and so on....
    What sizes fit the HD without rubbing on bottom out? I bottom my RP23 out a few times per ride and would hate to have my tire contact my frame.
    I'm currently running a 2.35 MAXXIS High Roller on a Stan's Flow Rim in the rear with (no surprise here) no rub.

Thanks in advance for help !!

Too Much Fun

Good job! I'm loving the Nobby Nics

Quote Originally Posted by special red View Post
    I'm thinking Nobby Nic's or Trail Kings or Ardent and so on....
    FWIW, I'm currently *loving* the Nobby Nics on my SL (which I ride like it's a HD ). Front and rear, they're great for my current summer OR riding.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    FWIW, I'm currently *loving* the Nobby Nics on my SL (which I ride like it's a HD ). Front and rear, they're great for my current summer OR riding.
    What size? I think we could dummy this down to just -
    -what tire?
    -what size?
    -what rim?

to qualify, you must have bottomed out your shock of course!

THANKS!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My Hans Dampfs (stock Flow wheelset) contact/rub the seattube when bottoming out while riding. When I let all the air out of the shock there is a few mm clearance.

I also purchased a PUSHed Monarch Plus with the big hit kit hoping the bumper would add enough progression in the last 1/2" of travel or so. It feels like the bumper offers only a little bit extra resistance at the bottom.

Its annoying to get the rub a few times a ride, but feel its a very minimal impact on the frame and have a piece of electrical tape to prevent scratching.

mtbr member
    Gaff tape might be better. Heavier duty cloth weave for protection, better sticking and no residue when you want to replace it/take it off.

mtbr member

Anyone know if the new 142mm rear end fixes this clearance issue? I'm planning on running an advantage 2.4 on my new HD that is yet to be built. I will bottom the bike out several times a ride where I am from...
    Thanks

mtbr member
    For the record here is what I am running with no issues and I use all my travel every ride.

Specialized Purgatory 2.4 Controls 2bliss on Mavic CrossMax SX wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd like to see this thread resurrected. I am in the market for a faster and higher volume rear tire (just because) and am wondering what my options are. I'm thinking Nobby Nic's or Trail Kings or Ardent and so on....
    What sizes fit the HD without rubbing on bottom out? I bottom my RP23 out a few times per ride and would hate to have my tire contact my frame.
    I'm currently running a 2.35 MAXXIS High Roller on a Stan's Flow Rim in the rear with (no surprise here) no rub.

Thanks in advance for help !!
    Maximum tire diameter diameter = 685mm. For reference WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 = 675mm

HDs with the drirect mount FD have another 4mm or so clearance.

As far as we know this clears most any tire you might want to run on it.

H

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Medium frame
    Stans Flow rims
    Maxxis Minion DHF 3C single ply tires 22- 26 PSI
    Rock Shox Vivid coil shock

edit, (oops):
    and most importantly - 2.5 tire size

No rub

Side note: In appearance(without actually measuring) the 2.5 Minions are slightly smaller looking than Schwalbe 2.4 Nobby Nic's and the Hans Dampf 2.35
    Last edited by JimEG; 08-22-2011 at 08:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    Stans Flow rims
    Maxxis Minion DHF 3C single ply tires 22- 26 PSI
    Rock Shox Vivid coil shock

No rub

Makes it alot easier if you tell us the TIRE SIZE

thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Maximum tire diameter diameter = 685mm. For reference WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 = 675mm

HDs with the drirect mount FD have another 4mm or so clearance.

As far as we know this clears most any tire you might want to run on it.

H
    Thanks Hans. I wouldn't worry except for the reports of people getting rubbing with Hans Damphs etc. I don't want to drop a ton of cash on some 2.35 or 2.4 Nobby Nics and find out I can't run one in the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You make a very good point, indeed. Fairly critical information. Edited post.

Whatever
    Hmm. I have a large HD with the 142x12 rear axle. Running as 1x10 so no front derailleur. Flow rims. I have had no issues with the 2.35" Schwalbe Hans Dampf. Also have run a 2.5" Wicked Will DH tire set up with a tube and tubeless, at Winter Park on DH runs...where I bottomed out the rear shock quite a few times. I did have to cut a bit off the neoprene chain guard as the tire rubbed that...but I have a few mm of clearance on each side of the tire, and several at the top.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Good timing

I was just about to resurrect this post myself, thanks to others for so doing.

I just switched my tires from my winter set up (it has been a wet summer here on the coast) to a summer set up. Summer or winter, these run on CB Iodines.

Winter = front Minion DHR UST 2.5 42a / rear High Roller UST 2.5 42a
    This set up works well where I ride, especially when the rock is wet. The rear tire does not make contact with the seat tube, but it definitely catches the cabling for the front derailleur. That being said, I ran these tires for about 110 rides, with fairly frequent bottom outs, and neither the cabling nor the tire experienced any problems. The 42 duro tires wear quickly no matter what.

For summer I am running Ardent EXO 60a 2.4's front and rear. I measure it at 687mm, and the rear definitely rubs. Before I realized it was so close, the rub chewed up the cable housing on my Reverb , so be mindful of that if you are running tires that are close.

To avoid the rub, I have shimmed the bottom out on my RP23 by 4mm to avoid destroying the frame. The Ardents are substantially lighter, and roll much faster, than my winter set up, so this is worth it to me.

@special red, you will have to shim the travel on your shock if you want to run the Ardent 2.4, but the 2.2 will fit (although its close too). For me, riding where and how I do, I would rather run the bigger tires.

I also wanted to take a moment to say Thanks! to Ibis, and especially Hans, who took a lot of time to work with me on this issue originally. Ibis also went to bat for me on an issue I was having with a part supplier, which was above and beyond the call of duty, and much appreciated. It has been said before, but I will say it again, Ibis CS rules.

ps.
    @derby - Thanks for putting up the shock shim thread, that was invaluable for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It's probably safe to say that I can't run a Continental Trail King 2.4 in the rear then. I wanted to put them front and rear. Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for a 2.2 or something else entirely. I was looking forward to experimenting with a high-volume rear tire for once.

aka dan51
    Specialized Eskar 2.3 on Flow rim fits like a charm.

www.derbyrims.com

tall tires

Quote Originally Posted by victoreremita View Post
    I was just about to resurrect this post myself, thanks to others for so doing .....

....will say it again, Ibis CS rules.

ps.
    @derby - Thanks for putting up the shock shim thread, that was invaluable for me.
    np ... or as we old schoolers say.. You are very welcome!

I just got a new HD frame... I can't stop repeating... the HD is an amazing ride!

There is now a depression in the back of the seat tube which must give it 3 or 4 mm more tire clearance than the earlier frame.

I'm looking forward to trying some Minions for DH park days. I liked them a lot before on a similar bike, a demo ride on a DWL style duel link Cove G-Spot, shuttling at Bootleg Canyon.

650b is a bit off topic, but the HD is so versatile it seemed appropriate to mention in your thread about tires that fit the HD.

For trail riding, I swapped over my 650b wheels from my trusty 5 year old Mojo C. Also swapped my C's shock into the HD's 140mm travel mounts. The 650b 2.3 Neo-moto I've measured to be 702 to 704mm diameter, by 58mm wide. 140mm travel leaves near 1/2 inch bottom travel clearance, no FD cable rub, no tire rub at all in a couple weeks of riding. I'll be trying 160mm travel very soon.

Here's a thread about the 650b experience ... http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new...ty-731083.html

And the shock shim thread .... http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new...ce-623853.html

Whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    There is now a depression in the back of the seat tube which must give it 3 or 4 mm more tire clearance than the earlier frame.
    We figured this out yesterday when two of us with HD's showed up at Winter Park...mine is the new 142 axle, his last year's. Definitely a depression in the seat tube, and the front derailleur cable mount is moved to the side allowing even more clearance. I had no issues with my Schwalbe Wicked Will 2.5 DH tire...but my Muddy Mary 2.5 definitely doesn't fit...lugs are too tall.

Interesting that there were only about 20 people riding yesterday morning (it was a Wednesday, after all) and 3 were on Mojo HD's.
    just ride

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So, I just ordered a new HD Med with the 142, RP23, direct mount, Flows/I9s, with 2.35 UST Kenda Nevegals running tubless. Is this going to be a problem??

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    @wakebrdr142
    No way to know without measuring, but people seem to running the Flows without too much of an issue. The 2.35 Nevegal is almost exactly the same size as an 2.5 High Roller, which I have run without issue. You should have a little more clearance than I do on account of the newer frame, so I doubt you will have problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cool, thanks. Guess I will just have to get the bike and find out. Can't freakin wait!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wakebrdr142 View Post
    Cool, thanks. Guess I will just have to get the bike and find out. Can't freakin wait!
    I have the same specs and I ride Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 front and bike, and they run BIG, with no issues. The Nevegal 2.35's are much smaller.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Climnron, thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am running 2.5 nevegel and they do not rub... grip like crazy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ok, so I wimped out since I didn't want ANY tire rub and went with Continental Trail King 2.4 in front and 2.2 in the rear. I'm running this 2.2 on a Stan's Flow rim tubeless with 28psi. I get a harsh rub whenever I bottom the shock (a few times per ride). It's rubbed the black teflon coating off my XTR FD cable and has contacted the seat tube and the FD cable stop.
    This is disappointing. That 2.2 is a good size tire but it is NOT huge. I can only imagine if I put the 2.4 on there like I wanted. Nothing like a loud buzz coming from my $6000 bike when I land a big bunny hop
    Keep in mind, I have the first generation HD with the clamp on FD. I think they've fixed this clearance problem on the newer frames.

BTW, the Trail King's are awesome! They feel better and more secure in every situation vs the Minion DHF/ High Roller I had before. They are just the sickest tires I've ever had. Can't say enough about them.

And also, the Mojo HD is stellar, this is just a strange issue for a frame like this to have. I wouldn't trade it but it would be nice if you could fit some all mountain rubber back there.

The MTB Lab
    Ok, so I wimped out since I didn't want ANY tire rub and went with Continental Trail King 2.4 in front and 2.2 in the rear. I'm running this 2.2 on a Stan's Flow rim tubeless with 28psi. I get a harsh rub whenever I bottom the shock (a few times per ride). It's rubbed the black teflon coating off my XTR FD cable and has contacted the seat tube and the FD cable stop.
    This is disappointing. That 2.2 is a good size tire but it is NOT huge. I can only imagine if I put the 2.4 on there like I wanted. Nothing like a loud buzz coming from my $6000 bike when I land a big bunny hop
    Keep in mind, I have the first generation HD with the clamp on FD. I think they've fixed this clearance problem on the newer frames.

BTW, the Trail King's are awesome! They feel better and more secure in every situation vs the Minion DHF/ High Roller I had before. They are just the sickest tires I've ever had. Can't say enough about them.

And also, the Mojo HD is stellar, this is just a strange issue for a frame like this to have. I wouldn't trade it but it would be nice if you could fit some all mountain rubber back there.
    I ride the TK 2.4's and never had an issue, and I have hit the bottom out bumper on the rear shock.

FYI: the TK's rock!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires that fit the Mojo HD-hd_tk.jpg  

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    2.35 Specialzed Butcher SX, ZTR Flow, Scuffing after 6 days in Whistler, but not enough to see carbon.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    I ride the TK 2.4's and never had an issue, and I have hit the bottom out bumper on the rear shock.

well, that's just weird. Do you have your RP23 modified with a bumper or is it stock? Mine blows the o-ring right off the shaft when I bottom and that's when I get the rubbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    well, that's just weird. Do you have your RP23 modified with a bumper or is it stock? Mine blows the o-ring right off the shaft when I bottom and that's when I get the rubbing.
    Add some more air to your RP23...?

mtbr member
    Just a thought - does frame size have any impact here?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Anyone know if the new 142mm rear end fixes this clearance issue? I'm planning on running an advantage 2.4 on my new HD that is yet to be built. I will bottom the bike out several times a ride where I am from...
    Thanks
    Exactly the same plan as me. Currently building a HD and got 2 x advantages UST ready to go. How are they going btw?

The MTB Lab

Ok, I have hit the seat tube a couple of times lately when doing jumps? Oh well...still love the big fat suckers.

Dropshot Champ!
    not sure if this applies, since I'm on a regular mojo, but when I was at ibis, they talked about the tk2.2 rear being too tall. It is, in fact, a very tall tire in comparison to others. It would hit my seat tube on drops. Swapped tires, and everything is good.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    2.35 Specialzed Butcher SX, ZTR Flow, Scuffing after 6 days in Whistler, but not enough to see carbon.
    Was the scuffing because the wheel came out of true, or scuffing on the seat tube at bottom out?

Ever try a butcher 2.5? Or a clutch 2.5?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi there. I have a large HD with EX1750 tires and Hans Dampf tires set up tubless (ghetto BMX tube style). Fully compressed I have a 5mm gap between the seat tube and tire. I used EXO 2.5 3C minions last winter and they are a hair taller. The only rub I've ever got was trying Racing Ralf 2.4s. And the rub I got was a very light scratch...from muddy tires....

Side note Hans Dampf is a pretty decent tire. Been using them on the North Shore here this winter. Slow on the pavement, but very good on the trail, good manners. Can't wait for the new GateStar Racing Ralfs to come out for the Super D season:-)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ibis needs to do something about this. The nomad will accept up to a 2.7 tire! If you build a bike that can do everything, it needs to be able to run any tire.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Ibis needs to do something about this. The nomad will accept up to a 2.7 tire! If you build a bike that can do everything, it needs to be able to run any tire.
    with how sticky tires are these days, most dh bikes don't run over 2.5s anymore. At least, not the ones I see.

www.derbyrims.com
    The Nomads in fact have less tire clearance than the HD.

However, the BLT Carbon has about the same as the HD, more tire clearance than either Nomad.

the refurbished one
    isnt there a difference between the 2012 (with directmount) and the previous version?
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    with how sticky tires are these days, most dh bikes don't run over 2.5s anymore. At least, not the ones I see.

For DH racing skinnier tires are often much faster, but for technical trail riding, and free riding, having the option to run fatties is a must for any AM bike IMO. I typically run a 2.3 or 2.5, but some 2.5's are as wide as a maxxis 2.7 The specialized clutch 2.5 I'm running on my nomad measures almost the same as a minion 2.7. I really want an HD, but I don't want to limit my tire options.

The fact that some guys are reporting rubbing with a 2.3 tells me Ibis needs to address this issue.

aka dan51
    The newer HDs have a slight dent in the seat tube to increase tire clearance.
    I wonder if making the links a few mm longer would help with tire rub without affecting the way the suspension operates. That could be a quick and easy fix if it works.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Nomads in fact have less tire clearance than the HD.

However, the BLT Carbon has about the same as the HD, more tire clearance than either Nomad.
    ?? I've run a 2.7 minion, nokian gazza 2.6, and high volume 2.5's on my nomad. There are reports of 2.3's and 2.4's rubbing on HD's. Please explain how the HD has better clearance.

I want to sell it for an HD, but I'm not convinced I'll have the same tire options. The HD having better clearance than the nomad goes against every post on this thread.

Whatever
    Summer 2011 HD's have an indent on the rear of the seat tube, and the front derailleur cable stop is moved to the side. You can get away running some 2.5 DH tires (I run 2.5 Wicked Will, but 2.5 Muddy Mary doesn't fit). However it's also tight between the chainstays with the 2.5. I don't see any rubbing marks, however it is only a few mm either side.
    just ride

The MTB Lab
    ?? I've run a 2.7 minion, nokian gazza 2.6, and high volume 2.5's on my nomad. There are reports of 2.3's and 2.4's rubbing on HD's. Please explain how the HD has better clearance.

I want to sell it for an HD, but I'm not convinced I'll have the same tire options. The HD having better clearance than the nomad goes against every post on this thread.
    The HD has excellent clearance, where the issue lies is during full compression of the suspension the tire can hit the seat tube.

Manufacturer's tire specs are sort of meaningless, as there is no standard, a 2.7 Minion isn't 2.7 inches, etc. The Mojo HD can fit very large tires within it's yoke, but some tall and fat tires can hit the seat tube on rare occasions. An example is the Conti TK or RQ in 2.4 size, they measure in at 2.4+ wide and 2.3+ tall, which can hit the tube. I have ridden some fatter Maxxis DHR II wire beaded downhills, but they weren't as tall. I think the issue is with the height of the tread/carcass on the Mojo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Having raced in downhill for about 15 years, i never needed something bigger than a Maxxis Mobster 2.5 (with a 7" Boxxer)... Actually, my tires arsenal for my HD is a couple of High Roller 2.35, a Telonix 2.2, a Cougar 2.2 and an El Moco 2.35.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The HD has excellent clearance, where the issue lies is during full compression of the suspension the tire can hit the seat tube.

Manufacturer's tire specs are sort of meaningless, as there is no standard, a 2.7 Minion isn't 2.7 inches, etc. The Mojo HD can fit very large tires within it's yoke, but some tall and fat tires can hit the seat tube on rare occasions. An example is the Conti TK or RQ in 2.4 size, they measure in at 2.4+ wide and 2.3+ tall, which can hit the tube. I have ridden some fatter Maxxis DHR II wire beaded downhills, but they weren't as tall. I think the issue is with the height of the tread/carcass on the Mojo?
    Yeah, I still don't understand why a measurement isn't the same from one tire to another. A maxxis 2.4 is wider and taller than a maxxis 2.5? Makes good sense.

I understand the issue is with hitting the seat tube, not the chain stays. So even with the new indented seat tube it sound like some high volume tires are still making contact?

www.derbyrims.com
    I understand the issue is with hitting the seat tube, not the chain stays. So even with the new indented seat tube it sound like some high volume tires are still making contact?
    To detail the facts of my previous hasty statement above that the HD has more tire clearance than both Nomads....

I frequently test interesting suspension bikes for 650bx2.3 clearance. 650b is excellent for rough trail riding, easier rolling with better traction without adding significant weight for those gains, ideal for "AM" type trail riding where there is much rough climbing and downhill, IMO.

A 650bx2.3 Neo-moto tired wheel is 27.5 inches in diameter, 1/4 inch larger diameter than a Maxxis 2.6 DH tired wheel I measured on a prototype Turner DHR. Some 26x2.7 wide tires may not be as big in wheel diameter as 650bx2.3.

I fit my 650b x 2.3 easily in my newer 2011 HD 160 swingarm with no tire rub after more than 4 months riding including southern Utah, Moab, and South Mountain near Phoenix AZ. But hard bottoming out lightly rubs the seat tube with the additional 4mm tire clearance indentation, so I added a 1.5mm split washer shim under the coil shock's bottom bumper to eliminate any seat tube rub (air shocks are just as easy to shim travel, and might not need it).

I squeezed the same 650b x 2.3 wheel and tire into a friend's Nomad Carbon (using a long Phillips head screwdriver as a "skewer" for the smaller Nomad dropouts) and it did spin freely on the stand, but the Nomad swingarm is too short for the 650b wheel radius to ride in my opinion, to be able to clear small rocks caught in the tire and to not rub the edge knobs due to wheel flex. I didn't test the bottom travel, since the swingarm failed to clear well enough. Any smaller tire than 650bx2.3 would be inappropriate for a Nomad Carbon, IMO.

The aluminum Nomad had even less clearance than the Nomad Carbon the last time I checked two years ago.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    To detail the facts of my previous hasty statement above that the HD has more tire clearance than both Nomads....

I frequently test interesting suspension bikes for 650bx2.3 clearance. 650b is excellent for rough trail riding, easier rolling with better traction without adding significant weight for those gains, ideal for "AM" type trail riding where there is much rough climbing and downhill, IMO.

A 650bx2.3 Neo-moto tired wheel is 27.5 inches in diameter, 1/4 inch larger diameter than a Maxxis 2.6 DH tired wheel I measured on a prototype Turner DHR. Some 26x2.7 wide tires may not be as big in wheel diameter as 650bx2.3.

I fit my 650b x 2.3 easily in my newer 2011 HD 160 swingarm with no tire rub after more than 4 months riding including southern Utah, Moab, and South Mountain near Phoenix AZ. But hard bottoming out lightly rubs the seat tube with the additional 4mm tire clearance indentation, so I added a 1.5mm split washer shim under the coil shock's bottom bumper to eliminate any seat tube rub (air shocks are just as easy to shim travel, and might not need it).

I squeezed the same 650b x 2.3 wheel and tire into a friend's Nomad Carbon (using a long Phillips head screwdriver as a "skewer" for the smaller Nomad dropouts) and it did spin freely on the stand, but the Nomad swingarm is too short for the 650b wheel radius to ride in my opinion, to be able to clear small rocks caught in the tire and to not rub the edge knobs due to wheel flex. I didn't test the bottom travel, since the swingarm failed to clear well enough. Any smaller tire than 650bx2.3 would be inappropriate for a Nomad Carbon, IMO.

The aluminum Nomad had even less clearance than the Nomad Carbon the last time I checked two years ago.

Nomads have longer chain stays than the HD: 17.4" opposed to 17.1 for the HD I believe. From what you described is sounds like the wishbone design of the nomad wasn't offering enough clearance, but rubbing on the seat tube durning bottom out may not have occurred? Width clearance between the two frames seems to be very similar, but it sounds like even with the indented seat tube, some tires are still rubbing on the HD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread, I need help choosing new tires for my 1st generation HD. I'm looking for a reasonably lightweight, grippy, high volume all-rounder that will handle rocky/rooty eastern singletrack and also Colorado trails and bike parks (Steamboat, Snowmass) I'll be hitting this summer. I will be running tubeless with Stan's Flow rims on a large '11 HD frame, and my biggest concern is the tire clearance to the seat tube. I've done a fair bit of research, here are the tires I'm looking at. Would appreciate anyone running these tires reporting whether they've seen rubbing on the HD, especially if using the same Flow rims and large size frame as me. Also would appreciate general opinions on the tires!

- Conti Trail Kings with the new RST (Revolution Tubeless Ready) construction. Problem is, folks in this thread have reported rubbing with both the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Trail King, but it is not clear what frame size. Anyone running 2.2 or 2.4 Trail Kings on the rear of a large HD without rubbing?

- Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 - Tubeless Ready, Snakeskin. Anyone getting rubbing with the 2.4? How about the 2.25, I think that is still a pretty high volume tire?

- Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35. 1 person in this thread reported minor rubbing, 2 reported no rubbing. Anyone else?

- Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss 2.4 - One person reported no rubbing. Anyone else?

- Specialized Butcher Control 2Bliss 2.3 - Haven't read anything about this one on a HD.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Tried, hans Dampf, purgatory 2.4, nevegal and fat albert 2.25. The purgatory is good but a bit of a pig in the weight and traction, Nevegals are boring and dated, Hans Dampf are great but may be a little overkill in the rear, my current fav setup is currently the Hans in the front and the fat albert in the rear. great combo and very predictable. Noticiably less rolling resistance and weight switching the rear from the hans to the albert!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have run Minion DHF EXO and Hans Dampfs on the rear of my Gen 1 HD. No issues at all. Love the Butcher in the front. Works well with the Hans Dampf.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    2012 Size Medium HD, I9 All Mtn wheels. I've run a 2.4 single ply folding High Roller 2, 2.4 Ardent, and 2.35 folding High Roller 1. No direct rub with any of them, and I've currently got the Ardent on.

IMHO, just pick the tire you know will work best and run it. I'm sure you've taken this into account, but tire "rub" has many variables. I.E., a wheel flexing to the point where the tire contacts the rear triangle's stays, suspension compressing to where the top of the tire hits the seat tube; and what I assume is most people's issue: they ride in effing mud and muck, and consider the debris on their tires rubbing on the frame to be "tire rub".

I ran some big tires on my original Mojo Carbon - including the Ardent and High Roller 2 (which are tall and high volume, the Ardent being huge) - and only got rub when bottoming hard, never on the stays, until I went on a really ridiculously muddy ride, which I almost never do, and wore through the paint...
    EVIL Uprising

rockhound
    Jul 2007
    I am using the Continental Trail King 2.2 UST with a Stan's Flow rim in the rear with no problems.

I have used a similar setup -- Continental Trail King 2.2, before I switched to tubeless. I rode it without any problems at Northstar even hitting the jumpline and taking all the big drops.

I have an early-model, size-medium Mojo HD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trenchDiggr View Post
    - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 - Tubeless Ready, Snakeskin. Anyone getting rubbing with the 2.4? How about the 2.25, I think that is still a pretty high volume tire?

- Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35. 1 person in this thread reported minor rubbing, 2 reported no rubbing. Anyone else?
    Have these with no problems on my 2012 M HD, FWIW.

35+ yrs and still not pro
    I just blew out my Maxxis Minion rear at Northstar, puntured twice at 36psi. So i went to my LBS and the tech said he is running the Specialized Purgatory 2.4 on his rear and loves it. He's a better rider than I, so I put it on. Haven't ridden it yet, anyone else tried it? Any space issues? I don't see any yet...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmmm...I am about to buy this bike.

Does anyone know how the new high roller (2) 2.35 fits on the back of this bike?

I really don'tlike THe specialized XC rear tire that the bike comes with. I think the tread might last a month. The tire bothers me almost as much as the Walmart sale foam grips that I am throwing away as soon as the sale is final.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The 2.35 single ply high roller looks like a pizza cutter on the back of the HD. Plenty 'o room to spare
    EVIL Uprising

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I run a Purgatory 2.4 on the front and it seems pretty grippy. It is probably a little undersized for park riding. I have used it Thredbo for lifted riding and it was fine. I use a maxxis 2.25 crossmark lust on the back as I have a tendency to cut the sidewalls of rear tyres and occasionally front tyres. I would be a little cautious with a purgatory on the back as the sidewalls seem a little thin.

rider
    Feb 2008

best rear tire for the hd

for DH is the dual ply highroller 2 size 2.4
    -fits but just barely on the 2012 frame, probably not as well on the earlier ones.

pair it up with a DHF or Spec Butcher up front and let er rip

Members who have read this thread: 2