mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Thinking of swapping forks, thoughts?

I bought my '09 Mojo from a guy that had only ridden it once, and he'd built it with a 2009 Fox Vanilla 32 RLC. I wasn't a big fan of the fork at first (my previous Vanilla had been Push'd, so I was spoiled), but it seems to fit the bike fairly well now.

I do feel like I'd like a stiffer and beefier front end for some of the more AM-oriented stuff I ride, so I was looking at swapping it for a 2010 RockShox Revelation. Is it worth the switch? I notice I don't get full travel on the Vanilla (probably only 120mm), but the bike seems to track well enough.

mtbr member
    2010 Rev. looks like a winner to me...can't wait to try one out.

www.derbyrims.com
    Ride it and see. I found the Fox 32 forks to be very flexy coming off a couple years of riding a Nixon 20mm axle fork.

I'm not sure if the Revelation is that much stiffer in flex than the Fox 32. A Pike is much stiffer for sure. I've tried 6 forks on my Mojo over 3 years and now have a Lyrik coil u-turn and am very satisfied with stiffness, damping, and travel range.

banned
    Revelation is a good fork but the vanilla has more rebound... I have both...

aka übermensch
    I recently swapped my 08 Fox Float RLC for a DT Swiss XMC 130 15QR. I have 3 rides on it and all I can say is "wow!". What a difference. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Fox and had it dialed in pretty good. The DT just blows it away in performance straight out of the box. Only thing I've done to it is add air. Best upgrade I've done to my Mojo.

Granted, the Fox was QR and the DT is 15QR, so the DT is stiffer, but it is also more plush in its travel. Wish I would have made the switch earlier.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Swapped out my 08 Fox Float RLC 140 for a DT Swiss EXC 150 15QR.Have several months on the DT & it is superb, plush,gets full travel,stiff, & has minimum fork dive when cornering & braking.After riding this fork it made the Float seem like a complete joke for hardcore XC & AM riding.

banned

Very good looking fork... by DT Swiss ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I you are wanting your Mojo to be more AM orientated then take a serious look at a U Turn Lyrik. Not much heavier but infinetly more capable than either the 32 or the Rev. I have the solo air Lyrik and its awesome, my mate has just got the Uturn and its even better. I like the Rev but I was considering it as My XC option fork!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I had exactly the same problem - Mojo XL with Fox 32 RLC fork (QR in my case) that was just too flexy (I weigh 99 kg). I recently bought a Pace Figher RC41 (now known as DT Swiss EXC150), second hand. I've ridden both downhill in the Portes du Soleil in the French Alpes.

The Fighter is still a little flexy (i.e. you can see it flex under braking, bumps etc), but the ride destroying feedback I had from the Fox 32 is a thing of the past. I had to play with air and compression damping for a day or two to get it dialled, and then it was sublime. It doesn't just track far better, it's more plush too and doesn't try to kill you or your wrists. I had a "just in case" Fox 36 Van in my suitcase, but it never got installed as the Fighter is that good. I'm sure a big lyric or Fox 36 or something might be even better in terms of ride, stifness, but not at 1699g!!! And it's a bit out of place putting a fork on your mojo that weighs the same as the rest of the frame I think. You might find one on eBay, or the DT Swiss EXC150 is the same internally and more up to date.
    The other thing to watch if you're needing that much of your mojo is tyres, some big 2.4 or 2.5 (just) tyres will give you something extra, especially if UST and run at lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    I you are wanting your Mojo to be more AM orientated then take a serious look at a U Turn Lyrik. Not much heavier but infinetly more capable than either the 32 or the Rev. I have the solo air Lyrik and its awesome, my mate has just got the Uturn and its even better. I like the Rev but I was considering it as My XC option fork!
    Is that the 2010 models, with the Lyrik now at 170mm and the Rev at 150mm surly the Rev is a better option for the Mojo??
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Where are you located? You may want to see if you can get someone local who has a different fork than you try their Mojo out to see which you like better. For me having built two Mojo's with the Duc32, that seems to be the ultimate match. The first bike came with the F32 and the second with the 2010 Rev. I like the Rev a lot better than the F32, but neither is close to the Duc32 in my eyes. Is the Duc32 as stiff as the Rev? I don't think so. But no fork I have ridden absorbs bumps as well as the Duc32 in the same travel range. They are soo plusher than everything else that I always joke with my friends that have them, that they are riding cushy lazy boys.

People complain about the torsional flex on this fork but I have never noticed it. If you haven't tried one you should, in fact if you're in the northern Utah area drop me a line and come try one out. Also the Duc36 carbon should be coming out this month, upgraded internals and adjustable travel from 170 on down. Pricey but seems like the bees knees

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GBR1
    Is that the 2010 models, with the Lyrik now at 170mm and the Rev at 150mm surly the Rev is a better option for the Mojo??
    On paper the rev seems an obvious choice for the Mojo. Its light, got the travel ans a bolt thru front option.

What I am not so sure about is the damping circuits. When I bought my Lyriks, I thought they'd be like big pikes. Loved the pikes so all I was after was something a bit bigger and they weren't that much heavier. Well lo and behold, they were way better than the pikes. The damping was completely different. the tracking due to the bigger stantions was improved too. So is the rev the new lighter longer pike or is it the Lyriks baby brother. The revs are 2lb lighter than my Lyrik solo airs so I cannot believe that they will be as stiff. As for the 2010 Lyriks being 170mm? Who cares, they are lighter and you can set them to what length you like. What is key is the suspension performance. Lighter is often not necessarily better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for all the input guys. Russya, I'm located in North Carolina, but thanks for the offer.

I'd love to get one of the DT Swiss forks, but they're a tad out of my price range. Perhaps if I see one in the classifieds I'll jump on it.

I've also looked hard at the Duc32, so maybe I'll take another look.

Of course, after doing the DH trails at Snowshoe in West Virginia this weekend, I'm contemplating keeping the Vanilla and getting a freeride bike.

mtbr member
    I'd call suspension experts, they're local to you and incredibly helpful. They service just about everything so they have a very broad knowledge of what would work in your area. Also they do the best work on Duc32 so they could give you as much insight as to why it may be perfect or not for you.

http://www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com

Members who have read this thread: 0