mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Thinking about an Ibis Tranny

I am looking to build a travel bike, since I do some traveling with my job and I would like to take my bike with me. I have been looking at the Tranny. However at a price of $1399 I am reluctant because of the following two things:

1. It is way overweight. Although stated weight is 3 pounds, it is closer to 3.4 which is about what a nice aluminum frame weighs.

2. Only a 3 year warranty? For that much money, and all the hype about the quality of Ibis, I would expect a much longer warranty.

I am really on the fence about this. If it were about $1000 I would definitely get it, but at $1399 I just don't feel like I am getting much value. So for all you Ibis fans out there, help me out, what makes Ibis so great that it would be worth shelling out $1399 for a heavy carbon frame with a mediocre warranty?
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

flow where ever you go
    1. Heavier than some: Also stronger, and far more comfortable than most hardtails, and easy to take apart and ship, and prettier, and easy to switch between 1x1 and geared...
    2. If you can't break it in 3 years, I bet you can't in 9 years. Relax and enjoy. You won't remember the price after a month of riding and the bike will still run like new and possibly look new after 3 years.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

holding back the darkness
    If you're really that indecisive about it, don't get one. It sounds like you don't really want one to begin with. I suggest you peruse the internets and magazines and find something that you're actually excited about.
    Personally... I think the Tranny is a great bike. Weight doesn't really bother me that much so, if you're a weenie (term of endearment) you might be disqualifed from ownership. Still... it is respectably light, especially if you consider the additional weight of some other coupling system added to that "nice aluminum frame".
    I agree with noshortcuts. if you don't break it in 3 years, you probably won't. If you have any concern over the quality of Ibis products, or their customer service do a quick search for something along the lines of "Ibis customer service", but I hope you have broadband, and packed a lunch. Ibis has the BEST customer service I have ever recieved. Ever. And I mean in the broad history of my entire consumerism. Cars, phones, cable, bikes, tires, computers, insurance, fast food, etc- all of it. Ibis' CS is the best. Period.

You're on the fence over $300 in a $3-$4k bike? Your $300 bucks buys you a little piece of cool. There I said it. Ibis is something of a boutique brand. You're buying a bike from a company who, in the world of cut-throat business and micro-margins can not take themselves seriously enough to name their bike "Tranny"; from the folks that brought you "Moron" tubing in the face of Columbus' Genius tubing, the folks that brought the world the "handjob" cable stop. The folks who have Hakkalugi's in the colors Lung Butter and Black Lung.
    You're buying something that was built by people who have been building bikes their whole lives, in many cases years before their customers were even born (sorry Scott... it's close to true for me, so it's gotta be true for some). You're buying a bike designed by a beautiful woman who is apparently a wonderful cook. Maybe that aesthetic is lost to you but beauty often begets beauty and art matters. You're getting a thoughtful, innovative product that actually works, and actually kicks ass. You're getting a "travel bike" that completely kicks ass as a "regular bike".

If all this is lost on you then DO NOT purchase an Ibis of any flavor. Everyone will be happier.
    If anything I mentioned above makes sense go look at some pictures. Glossy, dreamy pictures. Check out the Tranny Build Thread. Dream a little. Think about what it will look like in your bikelab. Think about how cool it could be to have your real bike with you when you travel instead of something compromised. Think about that wicked grin you'll have when you show up for that meeting in that distant place and someone mentions that little speck of dirt on your face you missed in the mirror.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    If you're really that indecisive about it, don't get one. It sounds like you don't really want one to begin with. I suggest you peruse the internets and magazines and find something that you're actually excited about.

You're on the fence over $300 in a $3-$4k bike? Your $300 bucks buys you a little piece of cool.
    Well the Tranny is not exactly what I want. Unfortunately when looking for a high end travel bike its really the only choice. I really wanted a Ritchey Ti breakaway mountain frame, but they don't make them anymore. So I could search the mags and internet all I want, there isn't anything to search for.

And its $400 that I am on the fence about. There is a 40% difference between $1000 and $1400, which is huge. I already have parts to buld it with, so there is not going to be any other expenditure in this project.

I am more interested in function than having a "piece of cool". If that is what owning an Ibis is about then it probably isn't for me. I care about stuff that works, and I am not willing to pay a lot of money just to be trendy and stylish.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Church of the Wheel
    You could get a metal hardtail of choice and then have a good framebuilder add S&S couplings. But then you would have...a metal hardtail. And probably not much if any cost savings.

Functionally, the Tranny is unparalleled. But if you can't see that for yourself, and as Negative Nancy as you seem about it, you probably should NOT get one.

Good luck finding something (anything) else that 1) is as versatile, and 2) rides as well. You won't. And certainly not for the very reasonable price of $1399. That is a bargain price for what it is - superior design, fit, finish, materials, and construction - all backed by the best customer service available.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    You could get a metal hardtail of choice and then have a good framebuilder add S&S couplings. But then you would have...a metal hardtail. And probably not much if any cost savings.
    Or a good custom build from the start with S&S added (usually $1400-1600 for the frame + $500-600 for S&S) if your willing to spend a bit more. Me, I think the Tranny is perfect and a great buy. I've had custom steel hardtails in the past (last steel MTB frame was over $1600), while I thought they rode very well and love steel frames, I prefer the Tranny. Not only does it ride great but the weight difference makes for a much better ride. Mine is single speed but even compared to my buddy's SS steel bike it's way under in weight. Function wise the Tranny can be SS, geared, 1x9, broken down for travel, light and stiff... trendy wise I just don't see it, they've always been a small company that does unique things that work, and the Tranny is something that works.

simple
    Ljsmith: Dude you ride a Sette and a Motobecane, you are clearly a discount "cheap" cyclist. Botique bike names and history don't matter to you right? So don't ***** about a frame that is completely unique and costs as much as a typical custom frame.

So either wait for a used one to come on the market, which is highly unlikely and would probably sell in an instant or go to your local shop and beg, plead, and offer to clean toilets in order to get a discount on a Tranny.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am sorry if I have offended you guys because I am analytical about my purchases. I have been biking seriously for 25 years, I have spent a lot of money on bikes and had numerous bikes from all kinds of manufacturers. I am at the point in my life now that I realize that you can have a lot of fun out on the trails without mortgaging your house to buy a bike. I don't worry about what other people think of my bikes, and I don't hang out at the trailhead fishing for compliments with my bikes. I would like to thank you guys for pushing me off the fence, clearly I am not welcome here.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    I am sorry if I have offended you guys because I am analytical about my purchases. I have been biking seriously for 25 years, I have spent a lot of money on bikes and had numerous bikes from all kinds of manufacturers. I am at the point in my life now that I realize that you can have a lot of fun out on the trails without mortgaging your house to buy a bike. I don't worry about what other people think of my bikes, and I don't hang out at the trailhead fishing for compliments with my bikes. I would like to thank you guys for pushing me off the fence, clearly I am not welcome here.
    I completely understand it's a lot of money no matter how you look at it, esp for me... but it's worth every penny. I've been mountain biking for almost as long and one thing I've learned is the stuff that's of good quality and lasts a long time costs more... why I only buy King, Phil Wood, Thomson, Selle, Fox, TIME, etc... I can get many more years out of a King headset or hub than the cheapos, in fact up until the Tranny the headset that's still on my stripped down steel frame in the basement was used on the previous 3 other bikes and over 12 years old... the best part is if I sell it I'll usually get 60-70% back on it. Questioning a big purchase like this is completely reasonable but I think you had your mind set on something else anyhow (brand, material, price) and I don't think people want to go round in circles on why you should get a Tranny... and of course your going to get biased opinions it is the Ibis forum ha...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Tranny is a strong frame that rides smoother on the rough stuff than seems possible. Lots of work (design and R&D time / money / tooling) have gone into it.. hundreds of thousands of dollars invested. Even with the big investment to make it, we tried hard to price it fair and competitive.... It's a steal considering.
    The companies that amortize the investment off in one year charge 2-3K for a frame that actually costs less to make than the Tranny.

There are lots of inexpensive bikes and if you shop based on price only it is easy to find very low prices.

I had an awesome ride on the hotel's RockHopper while on vacation this summer for instance. But that was a Specialized and it was really quite good. They know what they are doing and they seem to care. I would not let $$ come in between myself and bike riding. You can have a great time on a cheap bike.

The more generic, super inexpensive frames can be ordered from the TBG catalog by nearly anyone. Some of those bikes are pretty good, some are dangerous and it's hard to know what you are getting. Some are sold out of garages (ever try to find the address on some of the webpages?) So I'd avoid that sketchy lot.

Another way to look at it is what will you recoup when you eventually sell the frame or bike? The generic frames have almost no value used. In contrast a used Ibis will sometimes bring a pretty good price if it's in good shape. So.. to be fair cost wise you should figure in the resale value.

The least expensive way for you to get what you want will likely be a used steel Ritchey travel bike though it will weigh more than 3 lbs for sure.

H

mtbr member
    Just built up my "new" Tranny. Seriously the weight is so much less than I have been used to that it just feels faster. Will have to swap out the sprocket for a taller one. Super smooth and packable perfect for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking about an Ibis Tranny-web-tranny.jpg  

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Nice! Is that a 69er? Or a 650b front wheel?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon
    Just built up my "new" Tranny. Seriously the weight is so much less than I have been used to that it just feels faster. Will have to swap out the sprocket for a taller one. Super smooth and packable perfect for me.
    Nice, hey remove that cable guide on the seat tube ha... Looks like you have on there anyhow. I noticed mine the other day and removed it, guess I missed it as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    Nice! Is that a 69er? Or a 650b front wheel?
    69er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by usr666
    Nice, hey remove that cable guide on the seat tube ha... Looks like you have on there anyhow. I noticed mine the other day and removed it, guess I missed it as well.
    Yeah I totally missed that, thanks. Never think about shifter cables.

holding back the darkness
    I am more interested in function than having a "piece of cool". If that is what owning an Ibis is about then it probably isn't for me. I care about stuff that works, and I am not willing to pay a lot of money just to be trendy and stylish.
    You're missing the point. You get both. In fact you're really missing the point if you've shopped around... What bike do you think you're going to get for less money? The Tranny is pretty competitively priced. You may be missing reality if you're looking for a ritchey ti breakaway frame for $1000. You're not gonna get a mercedes for toyota dollars. You could pony up some real money and get an Independent Fabrications Ti Deluxe with a S&S coupler... but it'll cost.
    I don't mean to turn you off by my demeanor, nor do I mean to offend you. I just think the Ibis Tranny is a great bike for the money, versatile, capable. It rides great... everything you'd expect from a high-end carbon frame. It shoots uphill, yet is very comfortable to ride.

I would like to thank you guys for pushing me off the fence, clearly I am not welcome here.
    You've been biking for 25 years and you take your ball and go home that easy?
    *Sigh*.
    As for the bit about hanging around the trailhead fishing for compliments.... Seriously? You pop up in the IBIS forum and ask for input. You're gonna get fanboys. We're excited about our bikes and the company in general because in both cases we believe in them. Great products from great people. Fun products from fun people. I'm not gonna apologize if the extra ethereal qualities of style and soul are lost on you, on top of stellar perfornance and competitive weight. "ERROR... ERROR... Does not Compute.....".
    Head over to performance or costco or wherever you normally shop for your bikes and get the cheapest one that does all these things you want. Oh wait... you won't find one for cheaper that is what the Tranny is....
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am looking to build a travel bike, since I do some traveling with my job and I would like to take my bike with me. I have been looking at the Tranny. However at a price of $1399 I am reluctant because of the following two things:

1. It is way overweight. Although stated weight is 3 pounds, it is closer to 3.4 which is about what a nice aluminum frame weighs.

2. Only a 3 year warranty? For that much money, and all the hype about the quality of Ibis, I would expect a much longer warranty.

I am really on the fence about this. If it were about $1000 I would definitely get it, but at $1399 I just don't feel like I am getting much value. So for all you Ibis fans out there, help me out, what makes Ibis so great that it would be worth shelling out $1399 for a heavy carbon frame with a mediocre warranty?

It took me about four months to decide. Pissed off I waited so long. If you ride hard and fast, the Tranny is for you. Overweight? You got to be joking! The Tranny is a bomb proof, go big, beat the crap of it frame! I got mine built up as a free ride SS and it is only 21 lbs.

The Tranny is stiff, killer geometry, and can be set up to do just about anything: cross country race, free ride, 4x, slalom, or SS.

I wouldnt worry about the warranty, if you going to build a light weight bike, the Tranny will out last any of the fragile light weight parts you hang on it.

Value? One frame that can do anything. That's VALUE.

Check out the link: http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/spotlig...-single-speed/

Members who have read this thread: 0