mtbr member
    Mar 2004

suggestions for Mojo HD 140

i am strongly considering this bike but want to keep it as light as able, so to the knowledgable riders out there, what fork is best for this bike? i am considering X-Fusion or Fox fork, rear shock and dropper seatposts.

outside of seattle, we typically do a one hour granny gear grunt up the hill on our xc rides. i am hearing to go with a 2X10 setup. i am currently drooling over the newest XTR and wondering if i should do the Trail XTR version in a two or three front ring setup? i usually ride for 2-6 hours at a time and am trying to get this bike to be 27lbs for a size medium since i am 5'9 1/2, 155lbs.

also just thinking about getting xtr wheels, easton bar, thompson stem and post...just keeping things pretty standard. should i do an upgrade to the headset?

what other things of advice could you guys and gals impart on me to help me when making this purchase?

favorite color of the three? (green, white or black)

thanks in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of RS Revelation forks, and their new World Cup version, with the carbon one piece crown / tapered steerer looks really nice, and I think they're quoting 3.28 lbs . You could save some money, but add a bit of weight, and get the Team or XX Revelation with a straight steerer and use the new cane creek headset to be able to adjust your head angle across a 3 degree range.
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 10-22-2010 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    From WrenchScience.com

They don't have the mojo hd 140 but they do have the mojo sl which is 1.1lbs lighter than the HD. I've added the extra frame poundage into the total weight. You should be able to go with a build like this add a dropper seat and stay under 27lb

Frame Ibis Mojo HD Vitamin P | Medium | Fox RP23 6.3lbs
    Fork Fox 32 Float 150 RLC FIT 15QR Kashima | White | 15mm 150-150mm 1703.00g
    Front Brake Shimano XTR Trail | Silver/Black | 160.00 410.00g
    Rear Brake Shimano XTR Trail | Silver/Black | 160.00 380.00g
    Shifter Set Shimano XTR Pods M980 | Black/Silver 195.00g
    Cable Shimano Stainless | 120.00g
    Housing Shimano Housing | Grey 160.00g
    Crank Shimano XTR Trail Aluminum/Carbon 175.00 24-32-42 750.00g
    Bottom Bracket Chris King Bottom Bracket | Aluminum | Black 115.00g
    Front Derailleur Shimano XTR Trail 145.00g
    Cassette Shimano XTR M980 | Steel/Titanium | 11-36 215.00g
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR M980 | Black/Silver | L 176.00g
    Chain Shimano XTR M980 300.00g
    Front Hub Chris King Disc ISO 15mm Black 32 15.00g
    Rear Hub Chris King Disc ISO Black 32 277.00g
    Rear Skewer DT Swiss RWS Titanium - Mtn | Black | 42.00g
    Front Rim Stans NoTUBES ZTR 355 | Black | 32 | UST 355.00g
    Rear Rim Stans NoTUBES ZTR 355 | Black | 32 | UST 355.00g
    Rim Tape Velox Cloth Rim Tape 15.00g
    Front Spoke DT Swiss Competition 14/15g | Silver | 184.96g
    Rear Spoke DT Swiss Supercomp 14/16/15g | Black | 160.00g
    Nipple DT Swiss Alloy | Black 58.00g
    Front Tire Schwalbe Smart Sam | Black | Kevlar | STD | 2.25 570.00g
    Rear Tire Schwalbe Smart Sam | Black | Kevlar | STD | 2.10 495.00g
    Pedal Shimano M970 | Silver/Gray 325.00g
    Headset Chris King NoThread Set Tapered Devolution | Black 130.00g
    Stem Thomson X4 | Black | 70.00 | 0.00 147.00g
    Handlebar Easton EC90 XC SL | Carbon | Carbon | Low Rise | 23.00 125.00g
    Grip Oury Soft Grip | Black 125.00g
    Seatpost Thomson Elite Black 410mm 255.00g
    Saddle WTB Silverado SLT | Black 195.00g

Bike Weight: ~25.86lbs Bike Sub-Total: ~$7,033.2

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    That would be a nice build. But you might not like the 355 rims. I had them on my last two bikes and they are light but the flows that I put on my new SL are an upgrade. The small add in weight more than makes up in ride quality on the trail. JMO
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    7 Grand, holy ****

bike rider

Why HD140 instead of HD & less sag?

If you want a firmer riding HD it seems like you could just run 15-20% sag. The shorter shock only saves a few grams and I see no other advantage. Sticking with the longer shock gives you the option of running more sag for the rare occasion that you might want a softer ride. Can anyone who's buying an HD140 explain their purchase?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    If you want a firmer riding HD it seems like you could just run 15-20% sag. The shorter shock only saves a few grams and I see no other advantage. Sticking with the longer shock gives you the option of running more sag for the rare occasion that you might want a softer ride. Can anyone who's buying an HD140 explain their purchase?
    Brother, I have a whole review written up with why, check it out

bike rider
    I can't find it in the reviews section. Link?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    I can't find it in the reviews section. Link?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=658445

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    That would be a nice build. But you might not like the 355 rims. I had them on my last two bikes and they are light but the flows that I put on my new SL are an upgrade. The small add in weight more than makes up in ride quality on the trail. JMO
    Can you elaborate? The flows came with my X9 build and they are definitely overkill for me, so I was thinking of 'upgrading' to the 355's. On the other hand, ride quality is important to me. When you say 'improved ride quality', do you mean more compliant ride, better stickiness to the trail, both, or something else? Do you run lower pressure on the wider rims?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96
    Can you elaborate? The flows came with my X9 build and they are definitely overkill for me, so I was thinking of 'upgrading' to the 355's. On the other hand, ride quality is important to me. When you say 'improved ride quality', do you mean more compliant ride, better stickiness to the trail, both, or something else? Do you run lower pressure on the wider rims?
    Ok I'll try to give you what I'm saying during a ride. You know when your on a down hill single track and you have to say out of the center to avoid the rain rut? You know when you're moving side to side. During that movement your rear wheel is being side loaded, right? Well on the 355 the deflection is felt more than on the Flows. Also on the square edge hits the Flows are stronger. Don't get me wrong, the 355's are GREAT rims. They just might be a tad light for the SL. I'm 5'7" and 155 lbs. I think I ride with flow and not a bash into everything kind of style and for me the Flows are better. Hope that helps
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Another option is the Arch which is between the 355 and the Flow. This might be a good tradeoff if you think the Flow is overkill.

bike rider
    The Arch is the same width as the 355 but its stiffness and weight fall between the 355 & Flow. If you're going to run 2.35" max tires on an HD140 this is a good rim. Any wider a tire and you want Flows. The 355 matches the Mojo SL well because they're both a little flexy but I think it would be too flexy feeling on the HD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the insights!

Members who have read this thread: 0