stem/steerer clicking, ripley V4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

stem/steerer clicking, ripley V4

i started having this clicking sound coming from area around steerer tube.
    the sound is difficult to replicate, sometimes it will click when i pull on handlebars, sometimes when i push on them, sometimes when i turn them, other times it will not produce click at all. during riding the click is most often present during climbs. i am pretty sure it comes from stem/steerer connection, or starnut maybe. i am able to get rid of the clicking if i loosen stem bolts that clamp to steerer, then loosen top cap bolt and then re-tighten everything. the problem is it only lasts 2-3 rides,then the clicking comes back. i have done this fix maybe 5 times now, i tried also lubing everything (spacers, top cap, top cap bolt) lightly during this procedure but it does not help. my stem bolts are tighten to spec. top cap bolt is what i think affects the clicking the most. i went by park tool guide and just tighten the bolt snugly, just enough to remove any play in headset. doing this will eliminate clicking but
    it will soon come back, sometimes even during 1st ride.
    when i tighten the top cap bolt more, like another full turn or two, this seem to eliminate the clicking for 3-4 rides, but eventually it comes back again as well. any idea? i had this very similar issue with my HD, where it would happen once in a while, but not this often. didnt have this issue on my hd3 at all. i am pretty sure i dont have to say how annoying it is.

thanks

mtbr member
    Hate to suggested this then get blasted... but... did you try greasing the bolt threads in the stem and top cap?

My seat clamp is clicking and when I get a chance, I'll grease the bolts and tighten back to spec with a torque wrench.

I hope it could be something that simple for you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    More on greasing stem boltd and starnut here in a cross referenced thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...em-733616.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    Hate to suggested this then get blasted... but... did you try greasing the bolt threads in the stem and top cap?

My seat clamp is clicking and when I get a chance, I'll grease the bolts and tighten back to spec with a torque wrench.

I hope it could be something that simple for you!

my top cap and bolt is greased, i just put some grease on stem bolts as those were not, will test tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is there enough spacing between the top cap and steerer tube that the headset is truly snug?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i get a little bit too on a ripmo. on my second headset. i kinda suspect the headtube isn't totally round.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had two Fox forks where the CSU creaks. Both issues were resolved under warranty by Fox. The most recent was the F36 on my Ripmo. Sent the fork to Fox, they replaced CSU and it's been silent ever since. I believe the warranty from Fox is 12-months. You can often isolate this creaking by removing the fork from the bike and flexing the stanchions by hand. By doing this, I could easily reproduce the creak which made the conversation with my LBS very easy (cheers to awesome LBSs!). They submitted a claim to Fox and it was a relatively easy process.

That said, these creaks are notoriously hard to track down and most advice is anecdotal... YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd View Post
    I've had two Fox forks where the CSU creaks. Both issues were resolved under warranty by Fox. The most recent was the F36 on my Ripmo. Sent the fork to Fox, they replaced CSU and it's been silent ever since. I believe the warranty from Fox is 12-months. You can often isolate this creaking by removing the fork from the bike and flexing the stanchions by hand. By doing this, I could easily reproduce the creak which made the conversation with my LBS very easy (cheers to awesome LBSs!). They submitted a claim to Fox and it was a relatively easy process.

That said, these creaks are notoriously hard to track down and most advice is anecdotal... YMMV.
    i looked into this when i had this same issue on HD, the clicking didnt stop with different fork. i have already ruled this out on ripley as i have installed pike from my HD3 on it and it would still click, while my hd3 is silent.
    just to clarify, it is not creak that i hear, it is pop or click.

i rode today and didnt have any clicks so far, but it is just 1st ride after greasing everything up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    subscribed. my 5 month old ripmo has this clicking noise also

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digifun View Post
    subscribed. my 5 month old ripmo has this clicking noise also
    On my Ripmo with Fox 36 RC2 I chased a click/crack/pop noise for a while and it ended up being the fork CSU, which Fox replaced.

I now have a new fork on the bike and am chasing another, similar noise. (The bike was silent for about a month) When I regrease the headset cups and bearing bodies it goes away for a ride or two, but keeps coming back. When Iím bombing downhill is when I hear the click/crack/pop noise. I canít recreate it off the bike. Frustrating!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It might also be coming from the headset bearings or crown race. Which headset are you guys using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i had a 110/slamset and pulled it out. the wolftooth has been much better. who knows what it is. mine only makes noise occasionally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    It might also be coming from the headset bearings or crown race. Which headset are you guys using?
    Cane Creek 40 for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Check your spacers especially if you have a few stacked. Grease lightly between them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i had a Cane Creek 40 headset that made some clicking noises also so that could be it. The lower bearing didn't fully seat in the lower cup and could move a bit depending on the headset's bearing tightness. I did run more preload to keep the bearings kind of properly seated but I never liked it and swapped it for an FSA. Never had any more noise/ problems with my headset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i've definitely noticed that the enduro bearings fit MUCH tighter in the wolftooth cups than the hellbender bearings did in my cane creek. could be a source of noise on certain bikes..

and there was DEFINITELY fretting on the cane creek compression ring. never seen that before...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah that's why I don't like Cane Creek headsets. I was wondering what to install on my new build and I'll either go with an FSA, WolfTooth of Hope headset. I didn't have any problem with the relatively cheap FSA NO57 E that came on my last bike. 2 seasons on the same bearings, even if I ran a bit more preload, no clicking, and no fretting anywhere.

Those clicking noises are hard to find but I'm always trying to get the most silent parts to start with.