mtbr member
    Feb 2006

"squishy" sounds from a DT Swiss...

My DT Swiss rear shock on my SL (less than 4 months old) started making clearly audible "squishy" sounds when compressed...even the smallest bump causes the shock to "squish". The sound occurs throughout the entire stroke but is most noticeable at the beginning of movement. I've released all the air and compressed the shock a number of times, filled it back up - the sound is still there. There are absolutely no markings or signs of damage to the shock.

Any ideas for quick fixes? Will riding the shock wreck it? (the manual says to ride it if the shock if it makes noise, but the weather is soooo nice!).

Your ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have some of that with the DHX Air on my bike.
    It's most noticeable at the beginning of a ride then seems to go away as I ride longer
    so I don't worry about it too much. I'm guessing it's nothing more than the oil and air cycling through the shocks valving after it's been resting for a long time.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    My DT Swiss made a squeaking sound every time it was compressed right from the beginning. After 6 rides, I never could get it dialed in to feel as good as the RP23. My LBS re-built the shock once as it leaked an enormous amount of oil. It continued to make a squeak over every bump. I could not live with it and gave it up for a RP23.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My DT Swiss made a squeaking sound every time it was compressed right from the beginning. After 6 rides, I never could get it dialed in to feel as good as the RP23. My LBS re-built the shock once as it leaked an enormous amount of oil. It continued to make a squeak over every bump. I could not live with it and gave it up for a RP23.
    Thanks for reporting. It's sometimes hard to get the truth about shocks separate from the marketing. Quite awhile ago I mentioned on the forum that it did not seem like the mean time between failures (mtbf) for the XR (and most of DT Swiss stuff including Scott's Nude Shock for Spark) was high enough to "risk" going with it. It seemed from the forum reports to be about where Fox was with the RP3 when it first came out and thus decided to opt for RP23 on my SL. I'm not flaming DT, I'm just mentioning how great it is to have a place that we can decide which toys we want to play with. The fact that we always want our stuff lighter means the new stuff will inevidibly have some issues. All new stuff does. It is just really nice to know which to take our chances with. I may still well order one next year some time because I would still like to work on a super light weight build and try out the remote lockout lever. Thanks to us all working together to do honest reporting.
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-25-2008 at 03:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just got my SL and on my second ride my DT Swiss shock is making 'squishy' sounds and feeling squishy. So much so that I had to lock it out for climbing or I was getting all kinds of bob. I'll be playing with the set up and see if that fixes the issue.

The MTB Lab
    Yes it makes a squishy sound but I don't have any bob issues with it when I dialed it in for myself. Not sure what you mean by squishy feel, it is after all a shock. It doesn't have that micro bump compliance that the RP23 has but it has a much better (IMHO) middle and deep platform then the RP23.

I only lock it down for smooth trails. In the rocky terrain in Colorado I like the mid feel it has for climbing, it allows me to keep pedaling, both seated and standing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

a squishy sound, not feel...

The shock had been silent up until the last ride when it started to make sounds when compressed like, well, when have water in your shoes and you walk in them. Squoosh...squoosh...

It doesn't seem normal given the silence for the first four months of its life, then this...

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tyberius_77
    The shock had been silent up until the last ride when it started to make sounds when compressed like, well, when have water in your shoes and you walk in them. Squoosh...squoosh...

It doesn't seem normal given the silence for the first four months of its life, then this...
    When Fox air shocks make a squishy sound it's from air "captivation", air getting into the internal reserve chamber and mixing with the damper oil. Fox require their shocks sent in to a shock rebuilder for oil change and re-pressure the reserve chamber.

A little noise is usually OK as long as the damping adjustment and lockout still work OK, otherwise it's time for a full oil and charge service.

I would guess that DT Swiss would warrantee that within the warrantee period, but maybe not by calling it "wear and tear".

I've heard that DT Swiss has great customer service. Give them a call.

The MTB Lab
    All, I am working with DT Swiss on the issue and will update asap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    My couple of months ridden DT doesnt sound squishy instead it keeps on "clunking". I checked the front and rear mounts and those were good and tight.

Anyone with this kind of noice out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm

My DT rear shock makes a bit of a squelching noise, but seems to perform fantastically. It didn't make as much noise when it was new, but the seals were tight and the action was stiffer. I've really got no complaints at all right now - the performance is great. Maybe coming from another vendors product, this is unusual?

- Matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

getting it checked at the shop...

I am making a trip to have it checked at the bike shop tomorrow...I'll let everyone know what the status is...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

an update...

...my DT Swiss is being returned for a warranty rebuild. Turn around time is supposed to be 5 - 7 business days....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

I sent my dt shock in for a warranty repair. turn around was very quick. they changed
    something for sure, shock works much better and I run less air pressure now to
    get the same amount of sag.
    Mitch
    Boise

Members who have read this thread: 1