mtbr member
    May 2010

New question here. Small or medium HD

Hi, I'm looking to buy a HD, but not quite sure about which size. I'm 5ft 6, inside leg 30".
    Help required.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Though one! I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I'm on a medium and the fit is good. Can you jump on a demo bike and check the fit? If not, depending on how you want the bike to handle will direct the choice. Have you called or emailed Ibis?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks, I'll do that.

rockhound
    Jul 2007
    You will be limited to the Fox RP23 if you go with a small. I guess if you're not doing anything too aggressive -- big drops, loads of rough technical downhill, then you might be fine.

If a medium fits you, then you can use DHX rc4 or DHX air. I rode a friends HD with the DHX RC4 and it was sweet. But he loves hitting jumps and drops, so the RP23 might have eventually succumbed to bottoming out.

The DHX Air wallows quite a bit if not set-up correctly. I wanted more bottom-out resistance for hitting drops than the RP23 might have. But according to Hans at Ibis, there is a trade-off with general trail performance.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking a medium with a very short stem and forward saddle position. It will give you a little more to work with than a small with long stem and slammed seat.
    Marshall
    Owner Uranium Bicycles
    Moab, UT
    www.uraniumbicycles.com

Members who have read this thread: 0