SIZING Help for a Ripley V4!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SIZING Help for a Ripley V4!

I've owned several Ripleys. All V1 and V2 OGs. The mediums all fit me well. But, I'm hearing that with all the geometry changes for the V4, I might be looking at a small frame? I'm 5'5.5" with a longer torso and a 28" inseam. Reach and Stack are very different here between the OG's and the V4. I'm ready to order a black one in the next few days. Can anyone help me with a size determination.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What size of stem were you riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    What size of stem were you riding?
    90mm.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    I've owned several Ripleys. All V1 and V2 OGs. The mediums all fit me well. But, I'm hearing that with all the geometry changes for the V4, I might be looking at a small frame? I'm 5'5.5" with a longer torso and a 28" inseam. Reach and Stack are very different here between the OG's and the V4. I'm ready to order a black one in the next few days. Can anyone help me with a size determination.

Thanks,
    Not much help from me but have you emailed Ibis?

Wanna ride bikes?
    According to the sizing chart you could fit either.

SIZING Help for a Ripley V4!-screen-shot-2019-05-07-7.15.52-am.png

Since you were using a 90mm stem I'd say stick with a Medium.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd say that's really stretching the size range for the small, but in the sweet spot of the medium. My vote would be for medium, likely with a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Agreed on medium. Ibis advised me to stay medium going from a Ripley to Ripmo, if I liked medium in the former. They were right. It fits great. I bet the same for this new Ripley.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I would stick with a medium. They have tried to keep the sizing the same as what you would typically ride, the big geometry changes make that hard to believer at times. Look at the ETT between the bikes and factor in that the new Ripley is designed around a much shorter stem.

Personally, I'd try to get a good ride in on one first depending on how steep the seat tube is on your current bike it could feel very different. I have a hardtail that has a 72 degree STA and a Smuggler with a 75.5 and going between the two it's immediately noticable. I ride the smuggler 95% of the time and if I haven't been on the HT for a while it feels like I'm sitting on an Electra Townie at first.

mtbr member

Thank you for all these suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    I would stick with a medium. They have tried to keep the sizing the same as what you would typically ride, the big geometry changes make that hard to believer at times. Look at the ETT between the bikes and factor in that the new Ripley is designed around a much shorter stem.
    I ordered a medium yesterday through Myke Berna of Velo City Cycles. Myke now has another shop here on the Mendo coast. Before doing so, I spoke with Todd and Scot and both did not hesitate to suggest going w/ a medium. That being done, I'm beside myself trying to wait for delivery sometime in early July. Meanwhile, I'm selling both my Ripley V2 OGs for $3100 each. All XT w/ carbon 928s on one and I9 wheels on the other. Both bikes are in excellent shape.

Thank you all for your support to make a well thought out decision. New bike fever is something I get every 5 years or so after spending time enjoying what Ibis I might be currently riding. Best bikes I have ever ridden. Plus, their customer service is spot on and ready to help w/ anything.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Another vote for medium

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Iíve had 3 Ripleys both OG and LS all size L with 80mm stem with perfect fit. For theV4 i emailed ibis and they suggested to get a M.
    All suggestions are very welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpri View Post
    Iíve had 3 Ripleys both OG and LS all size L with 80mm stem with perfect fit. For theV4 i emailed ibis and they suggested to get a M.
    All suggestions are very welcome
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a large LS with an 80 mm stem fit perfect, there is no way you want a medium. Only way I would guess Ibis said medium was if your height is smack dab in the medium zone. Are you 5'8" or so?

Still I would go with what is perfect fit and stay with large.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Sizing - Ripley v4

Hi,

I am about to order a Ripley v4 and I need help with sizing. Im 5' 8" (173cm) and I've always been on Medium bikes. My current bike has a 585mm top tube with a 73.5 STA and I use a 60mm stem. The ripley will be my first bike with a Steep STA and long top tube. Based on the sizing chart I am towards the end of the Medium size and at the beginning of the Large.

Unfortunately I don't have the option to demo one of these bikes. But I rode a Large Yeti 4.5 briefly and it didn't feel too big and I also rode a medium Ripley v3 (in the parking lot) which seemed like a good fit as well.

Can anyone help me determine which size I should get?

edit: I spoke to Ibis and they recommended a Medium, but im not 100% convinced.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ktmans; 05-21-2019 at 01:11 AM. Reason: More info

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    At 5'8, I would go medium and use a 50mm stem as a starting point. The new M Ripley has a 603mm top tube (the L is 630mm), so with a 50mm it'll still feel a bit roomier than what you're riding now, and I'm sure the reach will be a lot longer as well. I think going to a L will be too big of a jump. The sizing hasn't really changed on these bikes despite the reach being increased by so much. To visualize this, picture the contact points (bars, saddle) staying in place and just sliding the bottom bracket back ~45mm, and you end up with the longer reach and steeper seat tube angle.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'm just over 5'8" and after demoing a large Ripley V4 and a medium Ripmo I ordered a medium Ripley. The large felt too long to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Compare reach numbers and not ETT to see what stem you'll end up with... unless you're going to change where your saddle will be. My saddle is always at the same spot.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelzqc View Post
    Compare reach numbers and not ETT to see what stem you'll end up with... unless you're going to change where your saddle will be. My saddle is always at the same spot.
    Would you still keep your saddle in the same position if the bike had a much steeper STA?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I appreciate everyones advice so far. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelzqc View Post
    Iím not sure thatís right....you sort of need both. Reach is length while standing. Effective top tube is the closest approximation of length while sitting. Effective top tube is approximate because where you actually end up is dependent on the seat tube angle and seat height.