mtbr member
    Apr 2007

The single sketchiest used Mojo ad I've ever seen

I've been in the market for a used Mojo, and came across this little gem earlier today on a Montreal classifieds site. The original was in French, but I'll translate it here (I'll try to maintain the lack of punctuation and syntax, as hard as that is for me to do):

I'm selling my carbon bike for 1000 dollars it's not in very good condition but it rolls really really well my rear derailleur is a reverse xtr 2010 the wheels xt 2010 a fox fork float 2010 my middle suspension is a fox float 2010 too my handlebar is a monkey lite and composite the frame has some scratches the pedals are a f.s.a for more information send me a message p.s. this is a $5000 bike
    I'd show you a picture, but he doesn't have one in the ad.

I should note that there's many aspects of sketchiness in the original French that I just can't translate, but I did my best. I'd like to draw attention to the fact that he's misspelled the French words for "dollars", "is", and "it's".

Super stoked on finding it. Such a killer deal! I can't wait to see it - the seller said he'll meet me in that dark alley over there later tonight.

Original, untranslated:
    je vend mon bike en carbon 1000 dollard il et pas en tres bonne etat mais il roule tres tres bien mon derailleur arr ses un xtr 2010 inverser les roue xt 2010 une fourche fox float 2010 ma suspension au milieu ses une fox float 2010 aussi mon guidon ses un monkey lite en one conposite le frame a quelque grafigne le pedalier ses une f.s.a pour dautre information envoyer moi un message p.s ses un bike de 5000$
    And the original link, if you want to try to snake me on it: http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ233020677

bike rider
    I think Ibis will do inexpensive "crash replacement" of broken frames for second owners (definitely not free warranty replacement) but check with them. If they do, and the components aren't too worn/bent than buy it and give it an overhaul.
    Keep the Country country.

Bike Addiction
    Have you paid your life insurance policy this month?
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    take a flashlight for that dark alley... ;-)

flow where ever you go
    Sounds like a very smart thief to me. Rather than just low ball with a too-good-to-be-true price, he says the bike is in terrible shape to get a better chance of someone falling for it and showing up with the cash.

Now,
    • is the thief selling a stolen bike, or
    • just planning on killing you for the cash?
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 11-10-2010 at 08:34 PM.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey,
    I have replied and asked to see the bike (I live in Montreal).
    Will let you know the sellers answer.

Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    I think Ibis will do inexpensive "crash replacement" of broken frames for second owners (definitely not free warranty replacement) but check with them. If they do, and the components aren't too worn/bent than buy it and give it an overhaul.
    Although I'm sure that Ibis would come through with a fair plan, I originally posted this thread with a sarcasm intent.

I really think this is one of those "too good to be true" sort of ads... Only rarely do such things openly say "this bike is in poor condition, but it rolls really, really well".

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred
    Hey,
    I have replied and asked to see the bike (I live in Montreal).
    Will let you know the sellers answer.
    Ha! Yeah, it'll be funny to see what they say, if anything.

I ended up buying one of the 2010 Mojos from the demo fleet. With any luck, I'll have it up in Montreal by next weekend, although I'm not sure how long it'll take me to build it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Busy morning...

Met with the punk, told him I knew who's bike it was and that he had 5sec to leave before I called the cops.
    He actually walked away and left me with the bike.
    Found a post on a local forum from someone who had 5 bikes stolen in June, one of them being an Ibis.
    Long story made short, contacted guy, guy called me back, guy met me at my place, guy is very happy.

Happy trails,
    Eric
    Yes, maybe I should held the guy and called the cops, but I didn't want to stick around the area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice STING!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Crazed Country Rebel
    Met with the punk, told him I knew who's bike it was and that he had 5sec to leave before I called the cops.
    Found a post on a local forum from someone who had 5 bikes stolen in June, one of them being an Ibis.
    Long story made short, contacted guy, guy called me back, guy met me at my place, guy is very happy.

Happy trails,
    Eric
    Yes, maybe I should held the guy and called the cops, but I didn't want to stick around the area.
    You gave it back to the original owner, or some guy that had other bikes stolen? It's not clear from your post...
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry,
    The original owner of the bike now has his bike back.
    He was a little over the moon.
    The person who stole the bike, which I don't think was the punk, removed some parts and changed some others, but the original owner was just happy to get the frame back.

Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wow! I can't believe that this turned out the way it did.

Good on you, Eric. I mean, seriously, what you did was above and beyond what I ever expected when I posted the thread with only humour in mind.

How on earth did you find the listing of the stolen bikes? I Googled around once I first saw the ad and couldn't find anything about a missing Mojo.

Regardless, cheers to you for doing this. I'm sure you made the original owner's day/week/month.

-Duncan
    Last edited by Abhorred; 11-14-2010 at 04:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Duncan,
    Found the info on a French site. The post even had a picture of the bike and the owner which made my life very easy once I saw the bike.
    Here is a description of my day that I posted on another forum. Thought it summed up how it went down better than my earlier one.

My day today:
    Dropped my wife and daughter off at the airport. Dropped the dog off at my parents. Drove home and went back to bed.
    Woke up, went to meet a punk about a bike that I suspected to be stolen (to good to be true).
    Thirty minutes prior to meeting, find a post on a local forum dating to June concerning someone having 5 bikes stolen. Post has a good description of bike. Send an e-mail to forum requesting serial number for the bike and left my information.
    Leave for meeting, see punk with bike. Look at bike, find marks that I was looking at. Ask punk: where did you steal it? Punk says he bought it for $5000. I laugh, tell him I know he stole it, he replies with that he paid $1000.
    I tell him he has 5 seconds to leave before I call the cops. He says he doesn't want the cops to come so I remind him he has five seconds and that I am keeping the bike. Punk leaves, I run to vehicle with bike.
    On the drive home, phone rings with someone saying he owns a bike that was stolen. I ask what he wants done, his reply is to catch the thief and recover the bikes. I inform the individual that I have some good news and some bad. I don't have the thief but I do have the bike. At this point I think the person on the other end drops a load in his shorts.
    He asks if and where he can meet me, I say at my place.
    He must have made it there in record time. Described bike and it matched a picture of him with the bike. The bike is minus a few parts that the thief must have changed.
    Owner leaves me some money and I was allowed to keep the Straitline pedals that the thief had installed.
    Day gets better, went for an awesome ride with a buddy and my rebuilt fork rocks!!!
    Now I am off to coach my rugby team in their final.
    Tomorrow, I will be in San Diego enjoying 22 deg heat and sun.

Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Eric,

I just found the original notice of its theft, too. Somehow, I managed to forget to check DHracer. It's a pretty clear cut case when there's a picture of the owner with the bike, smiling happily.

Again, you did great work today, and I'm really glad that it turned out as good as it did. I imagine the owner is still probably in shock. It's exceptionally rare that a bike is recovered, especially so many months later.

Enjoy the sun!

-Duncan (who plans to keep his incoming Mojo securely locked in his apartment)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Happy trails,
    Eric
    You really, absolutely kick ass you know.....
    That's 2 bikes recovered by forum members in about a month!
    H

aka dan51
    Damn, another returned Mojo story.
    Awesome!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0