Shock custom tune advice on Ripmo DPX2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Shock custom tune advice on Ripmo DPX2

Without having to bore you guys with the common complaints of the DPX2 I share with many here, I'm simply looking for better performance/compliance in chunky, fast descents. I'm 200~lbs on the stock 0.4 volume spacer about 15-16mm sag. I'll be trying the .6 token soon.

Thinking of the 2019 X2 upgrade, but also looking into cheaper options like a DVO Topaz but the more interesting options is a custom tune from Push, Avalanche, or Vorsprung. Even an add-on part like the larger Corset cannister/sleeve from Vorsprung looks neat.

I've never had a custom tune before. Is it worth the money? Is the improvement incremental or generally game changing?

It would be nice to keep the lighter shock body like a DPX2.

mtbr member
    I've ridden my Ripmo with a Rockshox Super Deluxe with Vorsprung tune, an X2 with Avalanche tune, and now an EXT Storia. The EXT Storia is my favorite set up, followed by the X2, then the Super Deluxe. As far as I know, Push doesn't do shock tunes anymore and Vorsprung only works on Rockshox shocks. I'm about 210 lbs and think that custom tunes work best for people over 200Lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ordered my ext a week ago,which 2 springs do you have?

mtbr member
    It shipped with a 575 & 600. I ride with the 600 since the 575 gives a bit too much sag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got a Topaz which has been really awesome on the Ripmo. It's not the Ext Storia of course, but I found it much better than the 2018 X2 I was on as well as better than the DPX2 on a demo I rode (demo shock could have needed service, who knows).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ok, they were telling me 525,550. I'm 205 ish without gear. Maybe I should get the same springs. Does it still feel to supportive?

EDR
    Is custom tune worth it? In general I'd say yes, but it depends on the bike being tuned and cost, plus obvious other variables like rider weight, style, terrain etc.

My PUSH tune on my Fox RP23 was worth every penny and more on my Yeti 575. Transformed that bike from a horrendous mid-stroke wallow-e feeling slog to a great bike...for my weight and riding style. They added an internal bumper (Big-Hit-Kit they called it) to ramp up the end-stroke and smooth landings. It was awesome. I have a X2 on my M3 and have had zero thoughts of needing any custom tune. DWL already has solved many problems for me Plus the X2 is super tune-a-ble

Like was said, PUSH no longer is doing tunes on shocks. Too bad, they did it well.

mtbr member
    I originally had the 575lbs spring installed, but the sag was roughly 17-18mm. I then installed the 600lbs and the sag was closer to 14mm. Maybe they expect you to run 30-33% sag. The 600lbs spring has been working for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cool, will tell them to send the same,do remember what 14mm was in sag %

mtbr member
    It's 25% sag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Dog View Post
    I've ridden my Ripmo with a Rockshox Super Deluxe with Vorsprung tune, an X2 with Avalanche tune, and now an EXT Storia. The EXT Storia is my favorite set up, followed by the X2, then the Super Deluxe ... .
    I am waiting to see if Push comes out with a new coil shock with a similar bottom out control. They have it on the ACS3 so it might happen. In the mean time do you mind elaborating a bit on the EXT Storia? For me the revelation with the ACS3 has been the small bump compliance, incredible control in the mid travel (traction is so good that I went down a tire size) and the much better climbing (the fork erases any small to midsize object going up). How is the EXT?

mtbr member
    The EXT adds a plush feeling to the Ripmo. It's not like is was terrible with the stock suspension (X2), but not coil plush. The small bump compliance and traction is where the shock excels. It just tracks the small holes/washboard better instead of skipping through them. I don't notice much difference on smooth climbs, but it does grip better on technical climbs. The climb switch does firm up the shock a bit, but I don't really use if much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Dog View Post
    The EXT adds a plush feeling to the Ripmo. It's not like is was terrible with the stock suspension (X2), but not coil plush. The small bump compliance and traction is where the shock excels. It just tracks the small holes/washboard better instead of skipping through them. I don't notice much difference on smooth climbs, but it does grip better on technical climbs. The climb switch does firm up the shock a bit, but I don't really use if much.
    I have one being built for the new Ripley.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk