shimano 12 speed Micro Spline freehub body for ibis hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

shimano 12 speed Micro Spline freehub body for ibis hubs

Hi all.

I just bought a HD4 with 12speed NX that does not work very well.
    Is there any source or rumour about the conversion free hub body that would make it possible to go shimano 12speed with Ibis Hubs?
    Love and Freedom.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Did you ever get anywhere with this?

I have the Ibis 942 wheels with Ibis hubs and switched my NX Eagle to GX Eagle cassette on day 1 via their xD driver for the hubs but the NX mech is rubbish.

I've ordered Shimano 12 speed XT shifter and SLX 12 speed Mech. Hoping it'll work on the GX Eagle cassette. Some people say it does.

I'm interested in getting the Ibis hub micro spline freehub (if / when it exists) so I can switch to a Shimano 12 cassette when Eagle is worn out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    As mentioned in another thread + what I heard form Ibis excellent customer service ."We should have the microspline hub bodies in our online store by the end of October. "
    Love and Freedom.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    MS only comes on the newer rims, is Ibis saying they're making MS FH's for older rims??? Would be nice since I have the 738's, otherwise will convert to XT with an old shimano FH (got one for $35 ebay) or stay with GX which has been a problem from day one 😡

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by unclegrandpa View Post
    MS only comes on the newer rims, is Ibis saying they're making MS FH's for older rims??? Would be nice since I have the 738's, otherwise will convert to XT with an old shimano FH (got one for $35 ebay) or stay with GX which has been a problem from day one 😡
    The freehub has nothing to do with rims and I've not seen or heard about any change to Ibis hubs so when they have a microspline freehub it will work on their older wheelsets.
    Keep the Country country.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    The freehub has nothing to do with rims and I've not seen or heard about any change to Ibis hubs so when they have a microspline freehub it will work on their older wheelsets.
    I don't THINK this is right, but I'm not sure. I believe the newest wheelsets (i.e., the S35) have different hubs than the older ones (i.e, 938s). In fact, Ibis sells freehub bodies on their site and specifies they're for new wheels only, not older.

I could be wrong, though.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

bike rider
    Interesting. I'll have to look inside. The rims made an obvious change but the hubs look the same as always, at least with a cursory glance.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    New in the webshop is likely the current hubs, the same as 942/742/938/738. wheelsets. These freehubs has been in their webshop long before the new wheelsets was announced. A couple of years ago there was another hub, it's why it says for the new hubs.

2018 Ibis Ripmo
    2016 Transition TransAM 275

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You might be right. I bought an XD driver from the shop for the newest S35 wheelset. The hubs are 4-pawl and I thought I remembered the old ones were different. I'm likely wrong, though.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    FYI, even though they aren't on the website, they are available, at least on complete wheelsets. I just got a set of S35 alloy wheels with Micro Spline from my local shop. Ordered Monday, and have them in my hands today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by msv1 View Post
    FYI, even though they aren't on the website, they are available, at least on complete wheelsets. I just got a set of S35 alloy wheels with Micro Spline from my local shop. Ordered Monday, and have them in my hands today.
    Good to know. Strangely the website lists the carbon rims (s35 carbon and s28 carbon) as having a microspline option, but the alloy S35 and 933 without. The S35 carbon also have a 7 year hub warranty while all the others are 2 years.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/wheels/details/?wheelset=859

mtbr member
    Just installed the MS freehub on my s35s. Helpful hint: make sure you take the little chrome ring off of the lockring before you install it or it will not tighten fully. Don' t ask me how I know