shifter cable stuck in Ripmo frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

shifter cable stuck in Ripmo frame?

I'm upgrading my gx shifter to XO and notice the cable seems very tight/fixed in the frame. Brake hoses are more loose so I can move them in and out gently by few mm in the frame. I didn't try to remove it intensively cause I don't think I need to install a new one (only 4-5 months of use) but I'm worry it might be stuck in there... I remember reading something about this problem on a Ripmo frame but can't remember when or where... Anyone had a similar problem? Is there an easy fix? Might address it sooner than later even if I won't ride the bike for a few months because of winter.
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    I was able to remove my cable with WD40 and some twisting/pulling/pushing with pliers. The chain stay section was particularly stuck with lots of grim/dirt. I think I will rinse the chanels before putting in a new cable. Also I think some kind of lubricant (silicon base) is a must... I will definitively keep a closer look at this cable and will change it max every six month...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Had this happen... it sucks. Don't pull to hard or you will have an issue with the housing outer layer pulling off and getting stuck causing you lots of problems.

Second time, I was more careful, but there was a lot of grim in the swing arm section. I took the cranks off for better access and cut the housing there for easier management of it. A lot of slow back and forth to free it and some soapy water and never pulling too hard work well.

I'd like to know how the silicon works for you in a few months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    Had this happen... it sucks. Don't pull to hard or you will have an issue with the housing outer layer pulling off and getting stuck causing you lots of problems.

Second time, I was more careful, but there was a lot of grim in the swing arm section. I took the cranks off for better access and cut the housing there for easier management of it. A lot of slow back and forth to free it and some soapy water and never pulling too hard work well.

I'd like to know how the silicon works for you in a few months.
    Yeah I was really gentle cause I didn't want to break anything. I wrote an email to Ibis to know if they recommend some particular lubricant before going ahead with the silicon lube... Anyway it's almost fat bike season here so I'm not in a hurry...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    So that's what Ibis recommend: "Our lead engineer likes to put a dollop of heavy grease on the entrance to the cable tunnel before he pushes the cable through.

Scot"

Will see how it will be on my next maintenance. Oh and I have about 5-600Km on the bike...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Not sure if recommended by Ibis, but you could give the end of the housing (at the derailleur end) a good hit with the hammer to break away the friction in the swingarm cable tunnel. Obviously be careful not to hit the frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    Wish I read your post earlier. . . Now I have part or the outer housing stuck in the swingarm. Can get wire through but not new housing. Tried WD40, air etc.

Need advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shifter cable stuck in Ripmo frame?-img_3507.jpg  

shifter cable stuck in Ripmo frame?-img_3508.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That's exactly what happened. I think I took a short piece of shifter housing and just worked it back and forth from the rear to the BB side of the swing arm. but going from the front to back could help dislodge it as well. I also had flushed it with something to clean out grit at that point. Patience is key.

If you cannot get it solved, upgrade to AXS

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    AXS is near. Now I have messed it up so I can not get a wire through. Water and air passes easily. Completely stuck when trying to work it with shifter housing.

Need advice!