mtbr member

Setting up Mojo for All Mountain?

Hi Guys,

Currently i'm in the process of trying to figure out which way to go with my Mojo. Would appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

When I see a lot of the Mojo builds in the photo gallery, it seems a majority are setup for lightweight XC builds.

Was wondering if anyone uses the Mojo more towards the All-Mountain/aggressive trail ride type of bike?

Right now I have mine setup more towards XC. But I can add some parts off my freeride bike to maybe make the Mojo my all-in-one ride.

For example, I'm thinking of swapping the Float 140 RLC (which I too don't get full travel) for a VAN 36 R.

Then if I did that I can replace the XTR wheelset with my I9 Enduro wheelset with 20mm hub.

Which would incline me to want to put my twenty6 Ti flats on instead of my Shimano SPDs.

Remaining parts would be ''08 XTR shadow drivetrain and shifters with RaceFace cranks and bashring. And possibly a Joplin R if I can get a good deal on one.

Stem would be a Thompson 50mm with Easton CF Monkeylight Risers.

I am guesstimating all those additions would place the bike around 31-32 lbs hopefully.

Am I crazy to want to do that?? Or would it be better to keep her XC light and build up another frame for the burly stuff? The '08 Marin WolfRidge or '09 Rocky Slayer frameset is what i'm thinking.

Maybe having just two bikes will be OK....
    Last edited by kameraguy; 09-11-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    There are quite a number of Mojo's built to heavier builds along the lines you are talking.

Search for Talas36 for a few links on builds based around 160mm forks. I still prefer clippless pedals over flats on mine but switch to SPD's with a platform at times and on occasions toss flats on them as well.

I need to weigh my bike at a bike shop some time, but a home bathroom scale put it at 32.2lbs.

IMG_2020.JPG

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I started off with an xc light mojo, dt swiss 240s xr4.2 rims, thomson seatpost, conti race king tyres, fox 140 rlc fork.
    I found the tyres and rims too fragile for my kind of riding so my bike has gradually moved to an all mountain build which better suits my terrain and riding.
    Now i have crossmax xl, maverick speedball remote, 2.3 conti ust tyres, 200/180 oro puro discs, and will be trying out a marzocchi 55 when i recover from my shoulder injury. I keep my old wheelset ready with lighter tyres, 160/160 discs, and i intend to swap over the forks when needed.
    I have a kona coiler primo, and a santa cruz v10 for anything more extreme, but i bought the mojo to ride, its more than tough enough to take it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    zzsea,
    I like your dog's sneakers...

sorry to hi-jack

R/
    D

mtbr member

I ma very happy with a 30lb. All mountain build

I had the '06 XTR setup. Nice and light, 26lbs. The local trails are like riding through a constant rockgarden so First I went to a dual ring setup with bashguard and tried a shorter stem....first 90mm, then 70 and finally 50. Then I bought 2.35 nevegal's and a differnt aluminum bar for freeride. Next I changed from XC One wheels to Havoc's(I couldn't afford the I9 Enduro's, but they would be perfect!) and finally I added an '09 talas 36. I never use the travel adjustment so the vanilla or float 36 would have been fine. Oh yeah, I recently added a 7" front rotor that isn't in the pic below and flats that I put on once in a while. It's about 30 lbs.

I have taken it lift riding and it is perfect on fast bermy trails. I did not feel too confident on drops, but I don't do that many anyway. It's great on steep techy downhills and now that I have the rp23 pushed I think it could do even better on the lift rides. However, I decided to buy transition Dirtbag demo bike that I will be using for lift riding most of the time. I just feel the 7" of coil front and rear and the geometry will make lift riding even more enjoyable.

It really comes down to being honest about where you ride and what challenges you face on your bike. The mojo can handle a lot, I will still use it on lifts for the trails that don't have big drops. With the mods it is perfect for rocky all mountain riding. It has been a big difference over stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

holding back the darkness
    RS Pike with PUSH factory tune.
    CK wheels with 2.4 Big Bettys
    Joplin post

I have no idea what this bike weighs... but it feels light, and that is what is important.
    It is absolutely insane to go around weighing your bike.
    **** censorship

boba
    Dec 2007

All Mountain set-up

Our Mojo's as they came from Ibis, have the ti kit, XT throughout including wheels on mine (Mavic 819 on Janes.), 2.35 Nevegals, Talas 36...(you need the adjustable fork as the Talas 36 is almost 1.75 inches longer than the 32) and the fork set down to 130 makes climbing easy...and a short stem...60mm, 20 degree rise..plus a carbon Easton DH bar. Bikes weigh 28.7lbs and handle west coast of BC stuff just fine. Head angle changes from 69 to about 67.5. Work like a charm..and not complicated.

bob

mtbr member
    I have to admit, I've been tempted to get a Talas RC2 and build a burlier set of wheels, but it's hard for me to justify when my stock SX kit works so well.

...ok so not quite stock, but close, I've added Atom Labs Aircorps, Black Spire chain guide, and Easton XC1 wheels. If I'm screwing around at Carlmont or when I want to build a little character (ride XC with ridiculous rolling resistance), I've got an old set of Rhino Lites wrapped in Maxxis Minion 2.5 Super Tackys...just for kicks.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses guys, glad to see some more AM setups with the Mojo.

Today I rode one of our local trails that has a fast decent with areas of stutter bumps and small drops and the FLOAT 32 RLC (new '07 model which I finally pulled out of the box to use for the Mojo) I have up front just would not achieve full travel despite a lower pressure this time around. The front definitely felt outclassed by the rear. I read about how more folks have not been able to achieve any more than 4.5-ish inches as well and some have resorted to cutting some internals to make it work better. Yikes. What is up with this fork??

Although I have had no issues with the '08 XTR wheelset, I don't want to push them on terrain they may not be best suited for and jack up a beautiful set. I think the I9's would be a better choice for these trails.

I might try the VAN 36 with I9s since I have them already and see if that will help the front end feel better suited to how this bike feels overall. I did find the rear-end really plush and hopefully a coil up front will match. Although I suspect a properly performing Air fork might be where I'll end up eventually?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    I had the '06 XTR setup. Nice and light, 26lbs. The local trails are like riding through a constant rockgarden so First I went to a dual ring setup with bashguard and tried a shorter stem....first 90mm, then 70 and finally 50. Then I bought 2.35 nevegal's and a differnt aluminum bar for freeride. Next I changed from XC One wheels to Havoc's(I couldn't afford the I9 Enduro's, but they would be perfect!) and finally I added an '09 talas 36. I never use the travel adjustment so the vanilla or float 36 would have been fine. Oh yeah, I recently added a 7" front rotor that isn't in the pic below and flats that I put on once in a while. It's about 30 lbs.

I have taken it lift riding and it is perfect on fast bermy trails. I did not feel too confident on drops, but I don't do that many anyway. It's great on steep techy downhills and now that I have the rp23 pushed I think it could do even better on the lift rides. However, I decided to buy transition Dirtbag demo bike that I will be using for lift riding most of the time. I just feel the 7" of coil front and rear and the geometry will make lift riding even more enjoyable.

It really comes down to being honest about where you ride and what challenges you face on your bike. The mojo can handle a lot, I will still use it on lifts for the trails that don't have big drops. With the mods it is perfect for rocky all mountain riding. It has been a big difference over stock.

I think your bike will be very similar to where I'll end up. 30 lbs is not bad! I hope mine will be similar.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by ducasz
    I have to admit, I've been tempted to get a Talas RC2 and build a burlier set of wheels, but it's hard for me to justify when my stock SX kit works so well.

...ok so not quite stock, but close, I've added Atom Labs Aircorps, Black Spire chain guide, and Easton XC1 wheels. If I'm screwing around at Carlmont or when I want to build a little character (ride XC with ridiculous rolling resistance), I've got an old set of Rhino Lites wrapped in Maxxis Minion 2.5 Super Tackys...just for kicks.
    Hey ducasz...i never checked your profile but I remember your post a ways back about your race at N*. Anyways....is that 2nd shot at Carlmont? I've been there a few times but not in the last 2 years or so. Where else do you normally ride? Amazing that you're still stomping that DH stuff with the fox 32's. I need a crutch (aka BIGGER FORKS!).

mtbr member
    Yeah, the second pic is the right hand step-up at to top of Carlmont (my favorite hit by far).

I normally do random short morning rides at Waterdog, Wednesday night rides with Passion Trail Bikes and weekends I usually ride Skeggs with my wife. Carlmont's great but I just haven't been able to set aside enough time to session there in over a month...

MPI
    mtbr member
    Hi!

Here is mine. Sorry about crappy pic. Alternative wheels are Mavicīs 819 ust with Conti MK 2,4. But I find Contiīs too slippery to my taste. Rear shock is Pushed Van R. Bike is missing the Maverick Speedball R which was in pieces for service.

mtbr member
    awesome! How do you like the push'd van R for the rear? I was thinking similar as an alternative when i put the van 36 R up front.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy
    awesome! How do you like the push'd van R for the rear? I was thinking similar as an alternative when i put the van 36 R up front.
    Hi!

In my opinion Van R makes rear feel more stable. I have also Pushed RP23 which nice and smooth but Van R makes difference in fast pace descents. And you also do not have to worry about bottoming out which might occur with RP23. I am 95kg and ride pretty aggressively. For me the weight is no issue and if I want lighter setup I still can use my RP23.

P.S BW Great pictures in other thread kameraguy!

Greets!
    MPI!

The Crow

AM Mojo

My Mojo started out with AM wheels and Jolpin post to aid AM riding, but with with failry lightweight gear otherwise. Bike ended up weighing 11,5kg without even trying to save weight! I then changed Revelation for a Manitou MRD 140mm TA and after a month or two sowpped that for a Fox 36 Talas R and at the same time went for a Easton EA70 handlebar and stem in place of it's carbon counterparts. Bike is still A LOT leighter than anything else that can take the same amount of abuse, but it can still keep up with those bikes. It's simply unbelievable. Great thing is it still climbs like a machine.

Industry Nine AM wheels are strong and fast and Joplin makes tech riding and sgl track a heck of a lot more fun.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My Mojo started out with AM wheels and Jolpin post to aid AM riding, but with with failry lightweight gear otherwise. Bike ended up weighing 11,5kg without even trying to save weight! I then changed Revelation for a Manitou MRD 140mm TA and after a month or two sowpped that for a Fox 36 Talas R and at the same time went for a Easton EA70 handlebar and stem in place of it's carbon counterparts. Bike is still A LOT leighter than anything else that can take the same amount of abuse, but it can still keep up with those bikes. It's simply unbelievable. Great thing is it still climbs like a machine.
    Wow, that's light for a bike that have Fox 36 Talas and Joplin seat post. You sure it weights at 11.5? Thats lighter then my Anthem
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

www.derbyrims.com
    Another AM Mojo

'07 Nixon 130-160mm travel 20mm axle coil
    '02 Vanilla RC Push'd
    AMP 1-4" drop seatpost
    60mm stem
    650b wheels raise BB for optimum pedal rock clearing 13.7 (experimental)
    Hadley 72 point quick engage rear hub
    Formula Oro brakes, 180/160mm f/r Marta SL rotors

31.2 lbs. / 14.2kg
    Last edited by derby; 09-15-2008 at 10:40 AM.

The Crow
    Not sure what the weight is now. It was 11,5kg's BEFORE the 36 Talas and EA70 bits
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    and another

Marzocchi 55
    Maverick Speedball R
    Oro Puro 200/180
    Mavic Crossmax XL
    and still under 13kg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Okay, that is still light for such a build, my Anthem without high-end groupsets, alex wheels, standard seatpost, no carbon bits, weighted in at 12kg.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by SGR1913
    and another

Marzocchi 55
    Maverick Speedball R
    Oro Puro 200/180
    Mavic Crossmax XL
    and still under 13kg

That's the TST 55 right? How do you like it? You don't find the need to lower the fork on the climbs? What kind of riding do you do? I'm looking at a 160 but I'm pretty sure that an adjustable travel fork is necessary for the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    it's a 55 ATA2. I got it cheap so thought i'd give it a try. It's bizarre, i had a fox 32 float rlc on prior to this, and to be honest i notice very little difference climbing. I expected climbing to be compromised, but so far i would say this isn't the case. The extra weight seems to make the front end seem more planted on climbs. Early days yet though i need a few more rides to give more feedback

mtbr member
    Awesome stuff guys. I'm looking for a good deal on a Pike Air U-turn or Talas RLC 32/36 150 or 160.

I haven't heard any travel problems with the Pike air series. But with my experience with mt Float 32 RLC not getting full travel, can anyone comment on the TALAS 32 or 36 with getting full travel? As much as i'd like to consider either version, I'm hesitant.

boba
    Dec 2007
    I have had no issue with the Talas 36 getting full travel and once it is fully broken in, it works great.

bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Heres mine, plans to come include a bigger rear tyre, joplin seat post and maybe an 09 revelation fork. 27lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice, its been awhile since we see a orange mojo in the forums
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

it's a 55 ATA2. I got it cheap so thought i'd give it a try. It's bizarre, i had a fox 32 float rlc on prior to this, and to be honest i notice very little difference climbing. I expected climbing to be compromised, but so far i would say this isn't the case. The extra weight seems to make the front end seem more planted on climbs. Early days yet though i need a few more rides to give more feedback
    Ok. I thought the ATA's only come in white....at least that's all I've seen them in. So you don't find the need to lower the fork at all?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Ok. I thought the ATA's only come in white....at least that's all I've seen them in. So you don't find the need to lower the fork at all?
    i've only done 2 rides so far with the fork, and never bothered lowering the fork at all. It climbed a couple of steep rocky tracks very well at 160mm travel, and i cleared a climb i've never managed before, luck? Probably.... My riding is generally what i'd call All mountain, rocky terrain, fast technical single track. I have an appartment in the Alps as well with some fantastic high mountain tracks, but that'll have to wait until next summer.

The Crow
    With the Rev on my bike I used to lower it all the time for climbing, but with the Manitou I was forced to improve my climbing technique and found that it improved A LOT over a short period.

So now with the 36 Talas I force myself to keep it in 130 mode for climbing and general riding and use 160 for the fun down stuff. My climbing has genuinely improved a lot.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So now with the 36 Talas I force myself to keep it in 130 mode for climbing and general riding and use 160 for the fun down stuff. My climbing has genuinely improved a lot.
    That's good to hear
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

flow where ever you go

All Mountain

150mm thru axle fork
    Bolt on rear hub
    Speedball post
    180mm front brake
    2.2 / 2.35 tires converted tubeless
    Decently wide handlebars (680mm)
    Hope Grip Doctors to protect the carbon bar ends
    Teflon tape on the handlebar (under the brake clamps) to allow the brake levers to turn on impact rather than break.
    Weight: 25.4 lbs. (as pictured, not including pads)
    IMG_4565.JPG
    knee/shin pads for finding the hardest way back down

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    nice picture noshortcuts. That looks like a real nice singletrack
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    noshortcuts - i've got a sore bum just looking at that saddle

mtbr member
    Think this is AM enough:

- RS Pike (20mm hub)
    - ZTR Arch on Hope Pro II wheels
    - 30inch Chromag DH bar
    - Formula Oro Bianco 180mm brakes
    - 2.35 Kenda Nevegal UST

Ride the snot out of it, even on DH trails.

Joplin is next, then maybe a Lyric for next year, just to keep things fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

flow where ever you go
    noshortcuts - i've got a sore bum just looking at that saddle
    LOL. Stand up or ride a Mojo, you'll forget all about it!

Luckily 's not quite as thin (in comfort) as it looks .

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here is my attempt:

Magura Thor fork 20mm
    DT Swiss Shock
    No Tubes Flow rims on Hope Pro II hubs
    Kenda Nevegals tubeless with Stans (waiting for the Continental Rubber Queen 2.2)
    XT for the drive train

26.8lbs

New fork is awesome, but only 1 ride as yet!
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My version of AM Mojo:

- Pike Air U-turn
    -Pushed RP23
    - Formula Mega brakes 180/180
    - Thomson seat post, will upgrade to Joplin someday
    - XTR drivetrain. Biggest ring removed from crankset and replaced by bashring
    - Bontrager duster/DT Swiss Comp/Hope ProII wheelset. Rear hub with DT Swiss RWS Thru axle. Conti Mountain King 2,4 tires

Will also add the Lopes link once it arrives
    Also coming up is Blackspire Stinger chainguide

No idea of current weight. Have to take pics once I get all the modifications done..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mud guard

hey bro. what kind what brand is that mud guard on your frame?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan

Industry Nine AM wheels are strong and fast and Joplin makes tech riding and sgl track a heck of a lot more fun.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Hi all!

I am tired of Maverick Speedballīs (Joplin or whatsoever) weak saddle binder clamp. Instead of Speedball I have move to this one http://www.kindshock.com.cn/en/produ...3&fid2=&id=670 125mm travel and no play. I received the post yesterday and havenīt had a time to test in action yet but I will keep you posted. Meanwhile here is a review about the product http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index...sk=view&id=910
    I am not sure but maybe I will use KS post with Speedballīs remote lever which is after all quite good.

Greets MPI!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Keep up the good work

I would really like to hear how well this post works as here in Australia it can be purchased for about 70% of the price of the other brands. Which is nearly cheap enough to make me consider it. A local bike shop owner was really shocked at how high my seatpost was while I was riding some of the local NS trails. I really only lower it when riding at lifted parks such as Thredbo and Buller.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    KameraGuy

My Pike Airs were not good, so got some DT150TA's - what a difference;

Much Stiffer, more sensitive and they don't blow through the travel or dive under braking

More than good enough for my AM exploits!

Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    150mm thru axle fork
    Bolt on rear hub
    Speedball post
    180mm front brake
    2.2 / 2.35 tires converted tubeless
    Decently wide handlebars (680mm)
    Hope Grip Doctors to protect the carbon bar ends
    Teflon tape on the handlebar (under the brake clamps) to allow the brake levers to turn on impact rather than break.
    Weight: 25.4 lbs. (as pictured, not including pads)
    IMG_4565.JPG
    knee/shin pads for finding the hardest way back down
    Teflon tape.....interesting. I'm gonna try that. Have some lying around anyways. Right now, I just have the brake/shifters tightened "just enough" so they will hopefully rotate on a crash. But even if they do, it'll probably score the bar anyways. The teflon tape would be a better solution i think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just swapped out my xtr cranks for the new Shimano SLX 22/36t with bash guard. My xtr has been taking a bit of battering on the last couple of rides. It only takes a couple of minutes to change the cranks so i'll probably swap back to the xtr for more xc based trails. Although i did think i'd swap my Marz55 back to the fox 32 float from time to time, but so far have never bothered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just swapped out my xtr cranks for the new Shimano SLX 22/36t with bash guard. My xtr has been taking a bit of battering on the last couple of rides. It only takes a couple of minutes to change the cranks so i'll probably swap back to the xtr for more xc based trails. Although i did think i'd swap my Marz55 back to the fox 32 float from time to time, but so far have never bothered.
    Cool, the SLX is sweet, I saw it on a riders bike the other day and I must say, the SLX is definitely the best economic MTB groupset, its looks great and it performs as good as it looks
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

MPI
    mtbr member
    Hi gain folks!

Just convert 1x9 setup with Gamut P20. I have noticed during past year that I hardly ever use granny ring in my bike. So I decided to to move to 1x9 setup. I kept 22 ring. I have slight doubts about Gamut bumerangīs clearance with DW-links lover linkīs big bolt. I replaced drive side one spacer (XTR 970 cranks) with bumerang to keep chainline optimal but now I have about 1mm clearance between bolt and bumerang. I also had to slice a little bit away from P20 bash to get it fit XTR cranks. So next ride will tell how it behave....

So setup is now:

Frame Ibis carbon XL with Pushed Fox Van R (600x2.35 steel spring)
    Fork Pushed RockShox Pike 454 U-Turn Coil 95-140 (PopLoc lever not installed)
    Headset CC IS8
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.0 medium
    Rear Shifter SRAM X.9 with Alligator cables
    Brake levers Avid Juicy with Dangerboy grips
    Brakes Avid Juicy 7 203/185 with Goodridge hoses and G2 discs
    Hubs Sun Ringle Abbah SOS or Hope Pro II
    Cassette Shimano Deore XT 11-34
    Rims Sun Ringle SOS or Mavic 819 UST
    Tires Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2,35 or Conti MT 2,4 UST
    Cranks Shimano XTR 970
    Chainring 22 with Gamut P20, 1x9 setup
    Bottom Bracket Shimano XTR
    Stem Syntace VRO 50mm
    Handle bar Syntace VRO low riser
    Grips Ergon E1 enduro grips
    Saddle SDG Belair ti
    Adjustable seat post KS i900R
    Pedals Shimano XTR 970 or DMR V8
    Waiting Lopes link ;-)

Greets MPI!
    Last edited by MPI; 10-24-2008 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI
    Hi gain folks!

Just convert 1x9 setup with Gamut P20. I have noticed during past year that I hardly ever use granny ring in my bike. So I decided to to move to 1x9 setup. I kept 22 ring. I have slight doubts about Gamut bumerangīs clearance with DW-links lover linkīs big bolt. I replaced drive side one spacer (XTR 970 cranks) with bumerang to keep chainline optimal but now I have about 1mm clearance between bolt and bumerang. I also had to slice a little bit away from P20 bash to get it fit XTR cranks. So next ride will tell how it behave....

So setup is now:

Frame Ibis carbon XL with Pushed Fox Van R (600x2.35 steel spring)
    Fork Pushed RockShox Pike 454 U-Turn Coil 95-140 (PopLoc lever not installed)
    Headset CC IS8
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.0 medium
    Rear Shifter SRAM X.9 with Alligator cables
    Brake levers Avid Juicy with Dangerboy grips
    Brakes Avid Juicy 7 203/185 with Goodridge hoses and G2 discs
    Hubs Sun Ringle Abbah SOS or Hope Pro II
    Cassette Shimano Deore XT 11-34
    Rims Sun Ringle SOS or Mavic 819 UST
    Tires Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2,35 or Conti MT 2,4 UST
    Cranks Shimano XTR 970
    Chainring 22 with Gamut P20, 1x9 setup
    Bottom Bracket Shimano XTR
    Stem Syntace VRO 50mm
    Handle bar Syntace VRO low riser
    Grips Ergon E1 enduro grips
    Saddle SDG Belair ti
    Adjustable seat post KS i900R
    Pedals Shimano XTR 970 or DMR V8
    Waiting Lopes link ;-)

Greets MPI!
    You probably kept the middle 32-ring?

The setup looks really interesting. The chain guide is fairly light and you lose granny ring, front der. and front trigger. So it will be quite a bit lighter..

I will build mine with Blackspire chain guide and will keep the granny ring. I need the granny ring at marathon races.

I'll let you know when Lopes link arrives. We also have to arrange the pick up for your Fishboy kit.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtok77
    You probably kept the middle 32-ring?
    Sorry, my bad! Of course 32-ring. I have also have Stinger available if Gamutīs upper guide creates clearance problems. Anyone uses Blackspire Blackguard in Mojo in 1x9 setup?

Greets MPI!
    Last edited by MPI; 10-26-2008 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

What cassette?

Quote Originally Posted by MPI
    Sorry, my bad! Of course 32-ring. I have also have Stinger available if Gamutīs upper guide creates clearance problems. Anyone uses Blackspire Blackguard in Mojo in 1x9 setup?

Greets MPI!
    Hey MPI -

What cassette are you running with your 1x9 setup? Shimano introduced their 12-36 Cassette (HG61) that is supposed to be 29'r specific, but I've heard of people running these on their 26" bikes without issue.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by QIEWD
    Hey MPI - What cassette are you running with your 1x9 setup?
    I am running a normal Shimano XT 9 Speed M760 11-34 cassette.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

My all mountain build

I had a nomad before I bought the Mojo SL frame last summer. From MTBR folks opinions and reviews I was pretty sure it would make a good light weight Nomad replacement. No one around here had one to demo - but I have been very happy.
    Crossmax ST wheelset
    Specialized eskar tires - tubless
    ElixerR brakes 6in rotors front and rear
    Fox 36 Talas forks
    XTR drive train - deraillers
    XT Shifters
    Thompson 50 mm zero rise stem
    Race face SixC carbon bars
    Gravity Dropper seat post
    hopey steering damper
    Intense saddle
    weight - 27.8 lbs

For a bike of this weight it is the most fun/capable bike I have ever owned. Pedals awesome, descends excellent, jumps and drops are soaked up much smoother than my Nomad ever was capable of even when it was built up at 36 lbs. It is fun to go off of jumps and drops that my ridding buddys will only do on there DH bikes - they are not comfortable doing them on there enduros! Now I am pretty sure that using the 36 Talas up front is part of the reason jumps drops and steep terrain are so much fun on this bike. But the back end soaks up stuff so well that I forget it is only 5.5 in travel. For the terrain I like to ride I would not change anything on this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Setting up Mojo for All Mountain?-ibis3web.jpg  

Setting up Mojo for All Mountain?-ibis5web.jpg  

2008 SC V10, 2009 IBIS MOJO, 2009 SC V10, 2008 INTENSE 6.6, 2008 Intense Socom,2010 Nomad carbon.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BATM
    Specialized eskar tires - tubless

Hey BATM, my sl is set up almost identical to yours (except a lyric coil instead
    of the 36), and I've been considering the eskar for a while... what do you think
    of it? Any problems with the 2bliss? I've been running the Mountain King 2.4 Pro
    tubeless for a while now and not had a problem until I damaged the bead on one
    coming off a jump cockeyed. Got me thinking that I should be running something
    with a bead intended to be run tubeless...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    They have been good tires, these are the S works version I really like the grip and how well they roll. I have slashed a sidewall in Moab on the porcupine rim trail - it has a lot if sharp rocks. I also managed to break the bead loose and lose all the air on the front tire hitting a drop, jump and then another drop into a corner at high speed - really should not have been riding that terrain on the Mojo at the speed I was going. I think the tires may have only had 25 lbs in them at the time, the tire was fine - I remounted it and am still riding it. When I first mounted them they leaked air thru the side wall - it took a while for the stans to seal them up, you would have to add about 10lbs of air every week. Now they hold air real well, maybe add air once a month. I have another sets of these that are not the S works they are a little heavier sidewall and the tire is about 100 gms heavier. They did not leak air thru the sidewall like the S works did. Very large volumn tire for a 2.3.
    2008 SC V10, 2009 IBIS MOJO, 2009 SC V10, 2008 INTENSE 6.6, 2008 Intense Socom,2010 Nomad carbon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For AM bikes, you boys sure like long stems, any problems with the relativtly short front centre when pointed down hill?

www.derbyrims.com

Evolution

Changes in last 1.5 years:

'08 Lyrik 115-160mm travel 20mm axle coil u-turn
    70mm Ibis stem
    Easton Monkey-lite DH bar
    205/180mm f/r Marta SL rotors
    Duel ring w/ E13 bashguard
    Fenders from CRUDUsa.com, and T.H.E, and custom.

32 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Setting up Mojo for All Mountain?-mojofenderssidesmall.jpg  

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Changes in last 1.5 years:

'08 Lyrik 115-160mm travel 20mm axle coil u-turn
    70mm Ibis stem
    Easton Monkey-lite DH bar
    205/180mm f/r Marta SL rotors
    Duel ring w/ E13 bashguard
    Fenders from CRUDUsa.com, and T.H.E, and custom.

32 lbs.
    Those mud guards make it look like a dirt bike! The guards would have been nice when I was flying through the mud and snow yesterday, of course I was out testing the Yeti ASR 7, no HD for this tester

Members who have read this thread: 0