mtbr member

Scratched Carbon Handler bar Scratched

I have have handle bar while removing a set of gripshifts of it, its a good 3 inches long and about quarter inch all , seems to be like is the clear coating that is marked up. I was wondering if the bar is comprimised? What are the tell tale signs when the bar is no longer safe to use?
    "Nice bike...Take it off any sweet jumps?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A crack in the carbon fiber. If it's just a scratch, you'll be alright. If it's a gouge that runs half way through the carbon, then it's compromised. Any bike shop or carbon manufacturer will tell you to throw it away because of liabilty issues against them if it's scratched. Just keep an eye on it, but you should be ok if it's just a cosmetic scratch.

I over tightened my carbon monkeylite XC high-rise bars and crimped it about 1-1.5mm deep, and have been using them with no problems for 500 miles of hard riding. My friend who owns a shop said its fine. He said when it's cracked is when you throw it away. Other shops told me to throw it away.

Take a picture of it and post it here so we can see what it looks like.

I'm just giving you my experiences and what I've been told, so don't sue me if something goes wrong! LoL! If your really worried, just buy a new one. Jenson's has the Easton monkeylite XC for $75, that's a steal!

Cheers,
    majorbonr

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I crimped my Monkeylites tightening my XT-M775 Shifter/Brake Combo too tightly. I think it was bound to happen looking at the contact points on the shifters. Like majorbonr, I gouged it about 1-1.5mm deep, but it still working just fine.

I contacted Easton and they told me it was unsafe to use. Since these bars aren't cheap, I just didn't want to throw it away. I would not feel safe using it, however, if I had a deep scratch or the gouge ran perpendicular to the bars. I have another set of Monkeylites sitting in the garage, so if I see the damage getting any worse I'll already have the back up bars to install.

It's funny how Easton asks you to ask the stem manufacturer how much to torque the bars. When you ask the stem manufacturer how much to torque their stem on carbon bars, they ask you to call Easton to ask them. "Have you seen my baseball?..."
    "'I'm here to guard and protect your heart." (Kasey to Ali, The Bachelorette 2010)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would really watch it, I had a pair of monkelite xc's that sheared off this summer with no scratches. New handlebars are much cheaper than a visit to the emergency room. The key is to torque them properly

mtbr member
    It's also a good idea to check the inside surface of the mounts of brakes and shifters to see if there are sharp bits. Best to file those things down before they wear into the bar.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    I've always been more concerned with bars and stems because when they break, the bike comes right at your face, as opposed to the whole bike going down with you.
    I agree with Sharpshooter. When in doubt...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerBoy
    I have have handle bar while removing a set of gripshifts of it, its a good 3 inches long and about quarter inch all , seems to be like is the clear coating that is marked up. I was wondering if the bar is comprimised? What are the tell tale signs when the bar is no longer safe to use?
    If it is a scratch and not a deep cut in the grip area I wouldn't worry. The load on the bar is at the stem.
    milesW

Members who have read this thread: 2