mtbr member

Satisfied Customers + Good feedback = New Customers

I'm posting this in a new thread so the the folks at Ibis can see that
    all the positive responses in the thread: "Ibis Customer Service"
    lead to me ordering a Hakkalugi after being hosed by Cannondale.

I had one of the first available Cannondale Super X cross bikes. It lasted all of
    two rides. On it's second ride the frame was broken by a stick that got
    caught in the rear derailure. Cannondale claimed that, "The frame isn't designed
    to with stand impacts of this type" and refused the warrenty claim. Umm Guys,
    it was broken by a STICK!!!

So, when looking for a replacement for the Cannondale I was just as interested in
    customer support as I was the frame. From the responses that the thread generated,
    I get the impression Ibis wants to satisfy each customer. Unlike the huge global conglomeration that has become Cannondale.

The Hakkalugi is on it's way from Competitive Cyclist. While waiting for C'dale to "resolve the issue" and for the Lugi to show up, I've been racing on a 1996 mtn bike. Needless to say I'll be psyched when report to staging on the beautiful Flemmish Yellow Lugi.

Now if UPS would just get here.... wait... I think I hear the truck....Nah, just a squirrel
    "Climbers don't hurt any less than others;
    they're just more comfortable being there."
    "Il Pirata"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I must say, the reviews and obvious customer service I've read about on this forum cemented my decision to order an HD. I don't have it yet (dang black) but when spending $2400 on a frame, I wanted to be sure I wouldn't get stuck if something went wrong. This company seems to take care of issues when they rarely come up.
    Can't wait to ride that beast!

Too Much Fun

Good job! gonna luv that Lugi

This is my second season of riding/racing CX on my Hakka. I love this bike. It's fantastic and tons of fun. It's my Ibis 29'er. You're going to love it.

For those of you who haven't tried cyclocross, you gotta. It's too much fun and a good excuse to get dirty in the fall/winter.
    - -benja- -

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    This is my second season of riding/racing CX on my Hakka. I love this bike. It's fantastic and tons of fun. It's my Ibis 29'er. You're going to love it.

For those of you who haven't tried cyclocross, you gotta. It's too much fun and a good excuse to get dirty in the fall/winter.
    Heh, I had a friend trying to convince me of that as well. I laughed and told I will stick to riding DH in the fall/winter.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Heh, I had a friend trying to convince me of that as well. I laughed and told I will stick to riding DH in the fall/winter.
    Why choose? Do both; they're not mutually exclusive.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member

Got the Lugi

Showed up as promised from Competitive Cyclist (a real class act BTW).
    Built it late Thursday night. Test road Friday, raced it Saturday.
    It was so nice not to be racing on a converted mtb.
    The Hakkalugi was sooooo smooth on a really rough course and, had
    stomp and go urgency that my oversized Al mtb for some reason didn't have.

I was really hooked on cross before, now I'm addicted.

M

Photo of the new addition attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Satisfied Customers + Good feedback = New Customers-lugism.jpg  

Satisfied Customers + Good feedback = New Customers-lugi2sm.jpg  

"Il Pirata"

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    My black lung Hakkalugi should arrive tomorrow. I may be more excited for it than I was for my Mojo SL. My great experience w/Ibis drove me toward the Hakkalugi. I let my LBS show me all the Cross bikes they carry, but the moment I saw the Black Lung I knew I would get one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M13
    Showed up as promised from Competitive Cyclist (a real class act BTW).
    Built it late Thursday night. Test road Friday, raced it Saturday.
    It was so nice not to be racing on a converted mtb.
    The Hakkalugi was sooooo smooth on a really rough course and, had
    stomp and go urgency that my oversized Al mtb for some reason didn't have.
    I was really hooked on cross before, now I'm addicted.
    M
    Photo of the new addition attached.
    Congrats on you new addition- looks great! Is yours a 50 CM?

Also very excited as my black lung lugi is scheduled to arrive a few days after Turkey day.
    My transactional experience from CC was less than positive but the customer focus and product guidance from Hans was stellar

mtbr member
    Yup mine is a 50cm. I've got it set up
    with the stem in the '+' position. This has given a more secure
    feeling in the rough stuff and made the drops much more usable.

I'm surprised your experience with CC wasn't as good.
    They did forget to change my small chainring to a 36t as I requested, but,
    my LBS forgets stuff like that all the time.

You'll love it when you get it. I was tempted by the Black Lung but always dug the Flemmish Yellow. Funny thing is I've picked up a cold the last few days and have been haukking real luggies. And...yup the color is a match
    "Il Pirata"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You'll love it when you get it. I was tempted by the Black Lung but always dug the Flemmish Yellow. Funny thing is I've picked up a cold the last few days and have been haukking real luggies. And...yup the color is a match
    Finally gathered up the $ and parts to put my Lugi together.

Interestingly, I also picked up a nasty lingering cold and have been able to validate the color match

On topic w/ the original thread subject- MUCHO THANKS to Hans, Scot, Todd, Olivier with the exceptional customer service,
    short notice accomodation of my visit to the Ibis shop to allow swap my black lung for the phlegm color!

Size- 50 cm
    Fork- EDGE composite
    Crankset- SRAM Force Compact 50/34, 172.5 L
    Front Deraileur- SRAM Force
    Rear Deraileur-SRAM Force
    Shifters- SRAM Red
    Brakes- Avid Shorty Ultimate
    Headset- Cane Creek IS-3
    Saddle-Fizik Antares
    Stem- Ibis 8 CM
    Bars - Ibis 42 CM c-c
    Seatpost- Ibis 31.6
    Wheelset- Campagnolo Nucleons (circa 2002)
    Cassette- 13-26
    Tires- Continental Speed King 700x35
    Pedals- Shimano spds
    Weight- 17 lbs 12 oz.

Last edited by enr1co; 12-13-2010 at 01:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Good luck with your Lugi.

Here is a summary of my experience with mine so far:

First race on Lugi: 11th - fellow competitors comment they liked me better on my old bike (a converted mtb).

Second race: 1st. Second place rider comments he's not used to seeing me up with him.

Third race: New England Verge finals. 19th, many CrossResults " Nemisies finish over 1' back.

By contrast here's my experience with the Cannondale SuperX that I owned for 87 min previously:

Day one: Training clinic. 1 hr. Teamates marvel at bike ask to pick it up etc.
    Day two. 27min. into it's first ride a stick gets into the derailure, comes around and brakes the frame. Cannondale's response; Sorry, looks like your buying a new frame...

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I have.

M
    "Il Pirata"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good luck with your Lugi.

Here is a summary of my experience with mine so far:

First race on Lugi: 11th - fellow competitors comment they liked me better on my old bike (a converted mtb).

Second race: 1st. Second place rider comments he's not used to seeing me up with him.

Third race: New England Verge finals. 19th, many CrossResults " Nemisies finish over 1' back.

By contrast here's my experience with the Cannondale SuperX that I owned for 87 min previously:

Day one: Training clinic. 1 hr. Teamates marvel at bike ask to pick it up etc.
    Day two. 27min. into it's first ride a stick gets into the derailure, comes around and brakes the frame. Cannondale's response; Sorry, looks like your buying a new frame...

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I have.

M
    Congrats on the progressive results! That is cool to experience the marked improvement!

No plans on racing mine- raced 3's many moons ago but these days just happy to
    be sneak out on the weekends for some early AM miles

mtbr member

Muddy Lugi

It was a wet and muddy race in Central California today, perfect conditions for Cyclocross racing. Somehow this has turned into the Hakkalugi Thread so here are some muddy pics. Just so everyone knows, if you don't already, this bike is awsome. Is this how a Hukkalugi should look?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Satisfied Customers + Good feedback = New Customers-muddy-lugi-001.jpg  

Satisfied Customers + Good feedback = New Customers-muddy-lugi-003.jpg  

Satisfied Customers + Good feedback = New Customers-muddy-lugi-002.jpg  

Satisfied Customers + Good feedback = New Customers-muddy-lugi-005.jpg  

milesW

Dropshot Champ!
    love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Great mud pics Miles!

Took my new Lugi out for the first time this stormy Nor Cal weekend. Started off with the Saturday road race training ride and the bike felt great- a little more work running w/ 35 mm Continental Speed Kings but the Lugi felt solid and responsive as my road bike when going with accelerations or out of the saddle jumps.

After enough peloton rooster tail in the face, it was so cool to be able to break off from the group and head towards a trail head to play and get muddy off road.

(Sorry, no mud pics - I take a hose to the bike as soon as I get home as the mud/grit comes off much easier.)

Im really happy with this bike purchase
    Last edited by enr1co; 12-20-2010 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by enr1co
    (Sorry, no mud pics - I take a hose to the bike as soon as I get home as the mud/grit comes off much easier.)
    :
    DUDE, cmon! mud pics are the best kind.... you can spare the 20 seconds!

What part of norcal are you in? I used to live in Palo Alto, and I sure do miss those combination road/off-road rides to the coast.... ENJOY!

mtbr member
    Since this thread is about happy customers and good business I will chime in. I did some work for Ibis as a contractor, and after watching how most things are done I am convinced how good they are at making sure that the customer comes first. I heard a handful of calls about people doing crazy things to their bike, asking for help and the guys at Ibis were always like "No problem we will take care if it". It's their motto. Too often a company is concerned about bottom lines and how much money they can make. Not Ibis. I'm sure they are, but they know that making every single person happy will result in more people on their products because of word of mouth. How true is that? It's very true. As a contractor, I try very hard to make my clients happy, and having good word of mouth travels fast in the internet age. One bad review can kill a bunch of business. Hans and the guys at Ibis simply don't work this way. They make everyone happy. I was happy and more than proud to work for them. I enjoyed the work and I enjoyed the people there. Just an overall great company to work for and the people there are top notch. If you buy an ibis bike, you have a great company backing you every mile you ride. You just cannot ask for any more than that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    DUDE, cmon! mud pics are the best kind.... you can spare the 20 seconds!

What part of norcal are you in? I used to live in Palo Alto, and I sure do miss those combination road/off-road rides to the coast.... ENJOY!
    hi doismellbacon, too late- the Lugi is all clean and polished again!

Im in the San Ramon/Danville area currently but in my road racing
    days with San Jose BC and Alto Velo, rode the PA area many days of the week, i.e . Spectrum Ride, the Noon Ride, Western Wheelers THUR nite ride, Portola Valley, La Honda, Kings mtn, Skyline out to the coast, Page Mill etc. - Still great roads to ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by enr1co
    hi doismellbacon, too late- the Lugi is all clean and polished again!

Im in the San Ramon/Danville area currently but in my road racing
    days with San Jose BC and Alto Velo, rode the PA area many days of the week, i.e . Spectrum Ride, the Noon Ride, Western Wheelers THUR nite ride, Portola Valley, La Honda, Kings mtn, Skyline out to the coast, Page Mill etc. - Still great roads to ride!
    Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' bout! I worked at Wheelsmith in PA way back when.... if any of this is from the early '90's then our paths surely crossed. Ever do Old Haul road (gravel) from the state park out to Pescadero? That ride's got 'lugi written all over it! Fun stuff....Haven't been out there in way too many years. I've kept the 'lugi lust at bay by lathering lots of attention on my Mojo C and Ti Mojo.... but you guys aren't helping... beautiful bike, enjoy!

mtbr member

my buddy snapped a pic of my hakk, figured I'd share.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixsun

my buddy snapped a pic of my hakk, figured I'd share.
    Nice! Looks like the "Bat-Lugi"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm looking to buy a 50/50 bike in the next couple of months and am strongly leaning towards the Hakkalugi. I was all set with the yellow until I saw the black one above.

Beautiful bike!

Members who have read this thread: 0