Slothful dirt hippie

RP23 lockout/propedal lever issue- WWYD?

Discovered that the shock is in regular full-boing mode no matter how the lever is twiddled, and it will not stay in the middle 'pro pedal' setting. Yes, it goes over to the supposedly-fully-locked position and stays, but it's now operationally the same as open. Shock is holding air just fine and acting normally otherwise. It must have happened some time in the last month or so, although since I use the lockout so rarely it's hard to tell exactly.

Called the LestBS (local-est is 30 miles away from work, 10 miles from home) and they suspect there's something wrong w/ the lever.

The problem is that I have only a few VERY precious weeks of riding that sweet delicious single track left in the season... mmmhhhhyyyy ppprrrreeeeeccciiiooouussss... and I'm trying to figure out if I should get on it now, or just keep riding until the weather sucks and THEN take it in.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Unless they'll swap you a shock I'd say ride it till winter.

mtbr member
    The RP 23 only has two positions.Open and propedal, left and right. Are you confused with the RPL shock? I think this one has lockout, propedal and open.
    milesW

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    The RP 23 only has two positions.Open and propedal, left and right. Are you confused with the RPL shock? I think this one has lockout, propedal and open.
    That would explain a lot. RP 23 has 3 pp positions at that, so if it is in the light setting position, it would act like full boing. Look at the instructions for setting it at full on pp and see if you notice any different action. Sounds like you may not need to worry about any repairs.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    So I'm not Einstein, BUT..... I'm pretty sure it says RP23 on the side, and it has 3 positions on the lever. The setting with the lever pointing to the left while looking down from the saddle definitely used to firm up the back end much more than it does now, and the middle setting definitely used to work but doesn't any more.

Called a friend tonight who said he had a similar problem w/ a shock, and he suggested I just ride it for the last 3 weeks or so of the season. In his words "you don't really need/use the lock out anyway, 3 weeks isn't going to make a difference on the potential warranty situation, and you're not going to break it (more) by riding it that way. You'd better just ride as long as you can and take it in for service once it gets nasty out." I think I'm going to just do it his way and take it in for general overhaul while I'm waiting for mud to turn into snow.

On wuss patrol
    Just went by this info. Long blue lever--pp on or off. Smaller blue nob -- 3 positions of pp when turned on. Red nob -- rebound adjust. No lockout position. YMMV

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/10/shocks/FLOAT

The service is a good idea, though.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

holding back the darkness
    What is the Propedal knob set to? 1, 2, or 3? The knob should be locked in place and the number in-line with the lever.
    Sounds like there's something wrong... I dunno. I keep that poopedal BS as "off" as I can get it. Never feels right to me. The mojo should work really well without it anyway.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    rp 23 has no lock out only three different pro-pedal settings

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmq
    rp 23 has no lock out only three different pro-pedal settings
    OK, OK, then I'll restate this as follows:
    no matter what I do with the lever, it behaves like the most open setting out of three and no longer functions as it did originally in the other two settings, and the lever will not stay in the middle position.

Better?

Sheesh.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Who uses Pro Pedal on their Mojos anyway? Seems to me with DW its unnecessary and makes me think I'm going to sell my RP23 and get the Pushed Monarch with no PP but Rebound/Compression adjustablility for the HD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Agree with all comments related to only two positions on an RP23 lever - PP on and PP off (I think pp is on when pointed away from the schrader valve, but its been so long since I cared that I don't know). I would also say that if you have one of the low compression tune models (look for a three bar cell phone like icon on the lower part of the main body and see how many bars are filled in), there is almost no perceptible difference when propedal is on unless you have Push reconfigure the valving. Most mojos do and should come with the low compression tune shock.

It sounds like you previously noticed a difference, which is now gone. Might need to be fixed, but I wouldn't care. No propedal is needed to ride a mojo.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Whatever the h3ll it used to do... yeah, it doesn't do that any more, and yeah, I didn't use it very often- which is why it took me so long to notice. The only time I flip the switch over is when I'm climbing up a really steep paved road so I can nab a bit more of an old skool free ride trail @ lunch. It's kind of a time trial since I have to get back within an hour so I firm up the back end and grunt up as fast as I can.

Bike Addiction
    Verslowrdr there is something very wrong with your Ibis. Probably should get rid of it quick and I'll be glad to take it off your hands.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

Slothful dirt hippie
    LOL.... not nearly wrong enough for that!!! Gotta take off for another lunch ride right now.

mtbr member
    If the lever doesn't stay in the middle position, I'd guess it's because there's no middle position. However, I believe you when you say the "firm" position doesn't work.

I'd say forget about it. The Mojo works fine without it. The only time I put it in the "firm" position is if I'm climbing a long, flat road. Even then, it's mostly a mental thing--I think I'll climb better with that setting--I doubt I actually do.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    OK, OK, then I'll restate this as follows:
    no matter what I do with the lever, it behaves like the most open setting out of three and no longer functions as it did originally in the other two settings, and the lever will not stay in the middle position.

Better?

Sheesh.....
    Alright, but there is no middle position for the lever and only two positions for the lever. Left or right. I hope you get it sorted out.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow
    Who uses Pro Pedal on their Mojos anyway? Seems to me with DW its unnecessary and makes me think I'm going to sell my RP23 and get the Pushed Monarch with no PP but Rebound/Compression adjustablility for the HD.
    never use it myself.

Members who have read this thread: 0