Romic coil or Manitou singer4 coil for Mojo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Romic coil or Manitou singer4 coil for Mojo?

Hi
    I have a extra RP23 with a high volume sleeve lying around and have been offered either a Romic Coil "not sure of the model, came off a 5spot" or a Swinger coil 4 way to trade for the shock

Which is the better of the 2 and what will work best on the Mojo ? since I still have my Mojo's RP23 , i though why not trade the old RP23 for a coil to see how it rides? Is there such a big difference?

www.derbyrims.com
    The RP23 is worth about 3 times as much sold used than those shocks. And the RP23 would be more reliable and ride as well or better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I thought Romic coil shocks are outdated (in terms of technology) and are no more in production?

Correct me if Im wrong, I rode an Ells ID Romic rider and I found that it bobs a lot, maybe its not my configuration. Hmmm
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    I thought Romic coil shocks are outdated (in terms of technology) and are no more in production?

Correct me if Im wrong, I rode an Ells ID Romic rider and I found that it bobs a lot, maybe its not my configuration. Hmmm
    Yes, I've heard Romic shocks are no longer in business and I imagine parts are nearly impossible to locate. Many Romic owners reported in past years in the Shocks forum of massive oil seal failures after a year or two of use.

The Ellsworth bikes require much low speed damping or platform damping to avoid excessive pedaling bob. A Romic in good condition was a very good shock for Ellsworth ICT and other low-monopivot like suspension designs. The last couple years Ellsworth bikes are more linear rate shock leverage and need less firmly damped tuning than prior years to pedal well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    Hi
    I have a extra RP23 with a high volume sleeve lying around and have been offered either a Romic Coil "not sure of the model, came off a 5spot" or a Swinger coil 4 way to trade for the shock

Which is the better of the 2 and what will work best on the Mojo ? since I still have my Mojo's RP23 , i though why not trade the old RP23 for a coil to see how it rides? Is there such a big difference?
    If the ROMIC comes out of a 5-spot unfortunately it will not fit the Mojo (too short) ... Too bad because it was a good shock with a moderate amount of platform that was quite a disaster on the Turner but might have worked very well with tha Mojo.

mtbr member
    and the Manitou swinger 4 way ? I though that was a pretty good shock ... ?

www.derbyrims.com
    and the Manitou swinger 4 way ? I though that was a pretty good shock ... ?
    The Swinger is also a platform shock (SVP). If you like the RP23's platform suspension feel then I think while the SPV platform lockout valve is opened in bumps it would be smoother than the RP23 and even firmer on very smooth surface. There is still service and parts available for the Swinger shocks. Getting the right coil for your weight and use might take a few different springs to get right. Manitou says that a 50 to 100# lighter coil is recommended compared to some other coil shocks due to the firmer compression damping and SVP platform supporting compression more than common.

See if you can demo the shock before committing to the trade. Your RP23 would be much easier to sell used and probably worth at least 2 times as much in used market value than a Swinger in this size.

I’ve never test ridden an SVP shocked bike. Perhaps others can comment with more knowledge on the value of the Swinger on a DW-Link bike.

BTW, The Romic was the first shock for mountain bikes designed with platform damping back in 2002 or 2003. It had a wider range of platform adjustment than any other available since, and the platform damping could be adjusted from nearly off (but not completely off) to near lock-out. I demoed one on my Horst linked Tracer and found it was not nearly as smooth hitting bumps as the then currently available Fox Vanilla RC before propedal was added to all Fox shocks in 2004. Most riders then raved about the platform damper improved their bikes.

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Yes, I've heard Romic shocks are no longer in business and I imagine parts are nearly impossible to locate. Many Romic owners reported in past years in the Shocks forum of massive oil seal failures after a year or two of use.

The Ellsworth bikes require much low speed damping or platform damping to avoid excessive pedaling bob. A Romic in good condition was a very good shock for Ellsworth ICT and other low-monopivot like suspension designs. The last couple years Ellsworth bikes are more linear rate shock leverage and need less firmly damped tuning than prior years to pedal well.
    Where do you get your information from, derby?

Romic's around, though not in the mtb realm anymore.

There are some who have recently had their Romics rebuild. Inexpensively, at that.

Outdated? Considering that on the longer travel side of things consumers are moving towards shocks without a platform, but in favor of adjustable low speed compression (PP & SPV vs an actual low speed circuit) for optimal performance, I'd consider the Romic moreso the precursor to the current generation of shocks that now offer LSC adjustability.

The rest of your postings, eh. It's well known around the forums to try and read what you write without laughing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Ellsworth bikes require much low speed damping or platform damping to avoid excessive pedaling bob.well.
    Derby,
    I mean no disrespect, but this is absolute mis-information. With the original Vanilla RC, I would say overall the Id bobs about as much as my Mojo with a DT SSD.
    The Id's ICT will reward good pedal technique. ie if you spin well, you'll not see any shock movement related to pedaling stroke. Where as with the Mojo, no matter how round my spinning technique is, I can still see shock movement related to my pedaling.
    The Mojo is more "tolerant" of "poor" pedalling technique. I find that I can push a gear or two harder and the suspension stays firm. In fact that is one of the reason why I favour the Mojo over the Id, is on any sort of climb, the Mojo feels firm under my feet, where as the Id would "squat" quite a bit if I mashed the pedal..

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info...
    I think I will keep the RP23 and HV sleeve and try and convince the guys at push to have it transformed "if I can convince them to deal with overseas customers".

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn
    Derby,
    I mean no disrespect, but this is absolute mis-information. With the original Vanilla RC, I would say overall the Id bobs about as much as my Mojo with a DT SSD.
    The Id's ICT will reward good pedal technique. ie if you spin well, you'll not see any shock movement related to pedaling stroke. Where as with the Mojo, no matter how round my spinning technique is, I can still see shock movement related to my pedaling.
    The Mojo is more "tolerant" of "poor" pedalling technique. I find that I can push a gear or two harder and the suspension stays firm. In fact that is one of the reason why I favour the Mojo over the Id, is on any sort of climb, the Mojo feels firm under my feet, where as the Id would "squat" quite a bit if I mashed the pedal..
    I do not intend to give absolute mis-information. I am not lying as implied. I only reported what I've experienced riding for myself comparing ICT bikes to dozens of other FS bikes, and confirmed by observation when ICT bikes are raced by others. I seen that with minimal damping the Id and truth are quite the bob and squat monsters while pedaling, no worse and no better than a lower monopivot.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Where do you get your information from, derby?

Romic's around, though not in the mtb realm anymore.

There are some who have recently had their Romics rebuild. Inexpensively, at that.

Outdated? Considering that on the longer travel side of things consumers are moving towards shocks without a platform, but in favor of adjustable low speed compression (PP & SPV vs an actual low speed circuit) for optimal performance, I'd consider the Romic moreso the precursor to the current generation of shocks that now offer LSC adjustability.

The rest of your postings, eh. It's well known around the forums to try and read what you write without laughing.
    Please don't be a hater. You are in my prayers. And I pitifully somewhat agree, there does appear to be a couple other personal haters of me too. I sincerely pray for the Highest blessings to all you all.

I haven't read every post in MTBR. As you implied I missed one if there is still support for Romic shocks available. Please be positive and helpful to the OP, and offer where there is support if you really do know!

I was warning the OP that there is little if any support for the Romic brand. That is as best as I know from reading in the Shocks forum, over a year ago I think, Romic is out of business.

I never said the Romic was “outdated”. In fact my opinion is that the design is still one of the most advanced platform shocks ever because the platform can be adjusted from very nearly eliminated to near lockout, which few if any of the current platform shocks can do.

I have very little time to recreate in MTBR. I have to work full time, and I'd rather be riding with the little free time I do have. Please be helpful if I make mistakes.

Oct 2005
    Don't pray for me. It's amazing you bring religion into a forum on the internet when you are directly questioned on the angles you bring some of your incredibly misguided fictional posts from. As far as your mistakes go, they are intentionally biased info at some points, and outright lies in others. In the benefit of the doubt arena, you simply post things that haven't even been explained by science.

Covering up yet another post of misinformation by seemingly taking the high road and wasting a prayer on me because I pointed you as wrong ONCE AGAIN, and wasting prayers on good people who point you out as simply being wrong is quite strange.

You paint people who prove you wrong as haters and in need of your prayers. Even more bizarre.

Anyhow, what you missed in my post as being helpful (addressing your last line, though you did address it above), Romic will service your old shocks. Done.

www.derbyrims.com
    Thanks for all the info...
    I think I will keep the RP23 and HV sleeve and try and convince the guys at push to have it transformed "if I can convince them to deal with overseas customers".
    I think PUSH partners with an England based shock tuner who uses the PUSH specifications for all requests outside the USA. I do not recall their name right now (will update the post if I find out soon.)

Edit: Thanks to mordor help posted just below, the PUSH partner in Engand is TFtuned:
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/index.php
    Last edited by derby; 05-08-2008 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    I think PUSH partners with an England based shock tuner who uses the PUSH specifications for all requests outside the USA. I do not recall their name right now (will update the post if I find out soon.)
    Tftuned in England also provides PUSH tuneups, I assume it is the one derby was thinking about, but there might be another doing it as well.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/index.php

Members who have read this thread: 0