Rock guard for RipMo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rock guard for RipMo

Has any of you guys found any better rock guard than the Ibis one? RockGuardz haven't made one yet and I already damaged my down tube!
    I will have to put an old tire until I find something else!
    Any luck anyone?

This is from a 2014 Ripley! Could it fit RipMo? I doubt it...
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Too Much Fun
    ...unless my eyes deceive me, that's a Pivot, not a Ripley. ...or were you referring to the guard, but not the frame??

But to your question, I'd be interested in what options are out there as well. On my Ripmo I put a strip of Invisiframe on the downtube.

Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    This is from a 2014 Ripley! Could it fit RipMo? I doubt it...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Hangloose82 posted this in the AF thread. Itís a rubber down tube protector for an Esker Elkat. He said it fits perfectly. If the V2 and AF tube profiles are similar I bet it would work. If not add some zip ties and itís golden. Definitely more factory looking than anything else Iíve seen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    ...unless my eyes deceive me, that's a Pivot, not a Ripley. ...or were you referring to the guard, but not the frame??

But to your question, I'd be interested in what options are out there as well. On my Ripmo I put a strip of Invisiframe on the downtube.
    I know it's a Pivot... Weirdly it is on the Ripley page. Maybe they share the same guard. Who knows.
    https://www.rockguardz.com/rockguardz/ibis/ripley.html
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreynolds7 View Post
    Hangloose82 posted this in the AF thread. Itís a rubber down tube protector for an Esker Elkat. He said it fits perfectly. If the V2 and AF tube profiles are similar I bet it would work. If not add some zip ties and itís golden. Definitely more factory looking than anything else Iíve seen

It looks nice, but I prefer something that protects the sides more. Mine got "hit" right above the current rock guard on the side...

g=9.764m/s2
    Detail from the OP who posted the photo link below. ďKydex. It's sold on Amazon, four 12" x 8" sheets for $20, 2mm thick and is easily moldable. Also, the impact resistance of Kydex is fantastic. This stuff is used by handgun enthusiasts to custom mold belt holsters, and there's a YouTube video of some guy whacking his Kydex holster with an axe! It left marks, but didn't break - good enough for me.

Cut one sheet to 12" x 4", heat oven to 250 degrees, let Kydex get real floppy, put on some leather gloves, take floppy Kydex and mold it to the frame. The rest was some light filing, rounding edges.ď

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/15631412/

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    Detail from the OP who posted the photo link below. ďKydex. It's sold on Amazon, four 12" x 8" sheets for $20, 2mm thick and is easily moldable. Also, the impact resistance of Kydex is fantastic. This stuff is used by handgun enthusiasts to custom mold belt holsters, and there's a YouTube video of some guy whacking his Kydex holster with an axe! It left marks, but didn't break - good enough for me.

Cut one sheet to 12" x 4", heat oven to 250 degrees, let Kydex get real floppy, put on some leather gloves, take floppy Kydex and mold it to the frame. The rest was some light filing, rounding edges.ď

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/15631412/
    Wow that looks really good actually. What did you use to secure it to the frame?

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreynolds7 View Post
    Wow that looks really good actually. What did you use to secure it to the frame?
    He said on Jeffsy ďit's practically self-adhering since it wraps inward around the side edges of the downtube. However, I did put a small strip of 3M tape between the bottom bracket and the protector to keep any fore/aft shifting from happening.Ē My result was not as refined so I used Gorilla double faced clear around the perimeter to keep the dirt out.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Ordered some Kydex so we'll see how clean I can get it to turn out. My Esker guard is starting to peel off around the edges.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    He said on Jeffsy ďit's practically self-adhering since it wraps inward around the side edges of the downtube. However, I did put a small strip of 3M tape between the bottom bracket and the protector to keep any fore/aft shifting from happening.Ē My result was not as refined so I used Gorilla double faced clear around the perimeter to keep the dirt out.
    What does one do if you need to remove the Kydex after it's molded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk